5N/6D Trip to Switzerland in July 2017

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2017 at 15:27:07 #810802

Hi,

I am planning a 5N/6D trip to Switzerland with my wife and two kids (7 yrs and 4 yrs) in the last week of July 2017. We will be arriving from London to Zurich around 10 am at the airport on Day 1 and will have a flight back from Zurich around 1pm on Day6. Intending to cover the below, appreciate if the forum members can enlighten me on the questions that follow.

1. Zurich

2. Interlaken

3. Mt.Titlis

4. Jungfraujoch

5. Lucerne

6. Bernina Train OR Glacier Express

Questions:

1. Are we aiming for too high especially given that we are accompanied by 2 kids ( 7 and 4)?

2. If it too much which place should be give up on?

3. What would be the best place to base at from logistics point of view?

4. I notice that hotel prices in Zurich are typically lower than that in Lucerne. Is that true? Or I am misguided by online portals/making a mistake here?

5. What would be the best itinerary? Better if it allows a day without travel in between.

6. Which mountain train should be do – Bernina or Glacier and which segment given other preferences?

7. Rail passes – should we consider any? If yes, which one?

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2017 at 17:04:33 #858980

Hi gauravonnet and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Here are some answers to your questions:

1. I think you itinerary looks doable for a family of 4 – granted I don’t have kids, but it looks like you are aiming for one attraction per day which is a good idea. Be prepared to change it up depending on the weather, for mountain trips.
    2. See above
    3. I would go straight to either Interlaken or Luzern (local German spelling) from Zurich and visit the attractions that are near that town (click on the ‘what to do’ tabs when looking through the town pages linked above).

For example, stay in Luzern and visit Mt. Titlis and or (on 2nd day) go to Mt. Rigi or Pilatus or another attraction that appeals to you. If you stay at Interlaken, you can more easily visit Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn and others etc.

4. It is hard to say about hotel prices – they fluctuate a lot. Summer is peak season for both cities, but Luzern is very popular as it is the gateway city to a lot of mountain attractions. Take a look at our hotel options for Zurich and Luzern as well.
    5. As I mentioned earlier I would base myself in either Interlaken or Luzern and not both.
    6. I think your family would be happy with either the Glacier Express or Bernina Express….that one is up to you. 🙂 Both end in Chur and from there it is quite easy to get back to Zurich. So perhaps choose the one that starts in the more appealing town to you – Zermatt or Tirano/Lugano or St. Moritz.
    7. As for rail passes I would look at the Swiss Travel Pass (probably the 8 day) along with the Swiss Family Card (free add-on) that permits your 7 year old to travel with you for free (the 4 year old is always free).
      The Swiss Travel Pass will covers almost all train routes in Switzerland as well as public transit. for specific information on that, as well as where and how to buy visit the page I linked above. You would have to buy seat reservations on either of the express trains we talked about.

I hope that helps get you started!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2017 at 5:45:12 #858981

Thanks for the responses, Lucas!

Let me delve further and will come back to you here if I got more questions.

• The thread ‘5N/6D Trip to Switzerland in July 2017’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.