Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  6 adults, best Swiss train pass for 5 days visit

6 adults, best Swiss train pass for 5 days visit

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Reps23
Reps23
8 posts
Jan 12, 2020 - 4:50 PM

Just want to thank everyone for all your help and advice. I am still trying to get our trip together as to where to stay and visit for 5 days in Switzerland. After watching a utube video on Jungfraujoch, I now think we should take the time to see this area. Here is the itinerary so far but I am open to changes. Just need to know the best route as we haven't booked our hotels yet. I have tried to look at train tickets but is seems to early to purchase. I also have read about the flex pass and that is probably the best for us or half price Swiss pass. Someone recommended the Eurail pass. As soon as I am sure about the itinerary I will download the spreadsheet and input all passes.j

Day 1 - Sunday, May 31 - Train from Lyon, France to Montreux. I thought that would be a good base for 2 nights. (Should we stay one night) We will take a train leaving Lyon around 9 a.m. after disembarking a week long river cruise Avignon to Lyon. Visit Chillon Castle day 1 or 2. Boat trip on lake.

Day 2 - Monday, June 1 - Montreux - Train to Guyere and ????

Day 3 -Tuesday, June 2 - Montreux to either Interlaken, Grindelwald or Lucerne. on the Golden Pass train. Would like to then take a train that day or next day Jungfraujoch. Overnight in one of these places. Will we have enough time to check into a hotel and visit Jungfraujoch the same day?

Day 4 - Wednesday, June 3 - Train to Lindau, Germany for 2 nights.

Day 5 - Thursday, June 4 - Lindau, Germany

Day 6 - Friday, June 5 - Train to Zurich - overnight in Zurich and visit

Day 7 - Saturday, June 6 - Zurich

Day 8 - Sunday, June 8 - Flight home to Chicago from Zurich at around 1 p.m.

As you can see I am all over the place. We need at least a few more weeks in Switzerland but have to pack our visit into 5 days.

I am open to any changes to the itinerary except dates and 2 nights in Lindau, Germany.

Thanks again.

rockoyster
rockoyster
8392 posts
expert
Jan 12, 2020 - 10:12 PM in reply to Reps23

Welcome back Phyllis,

If you go to Gruyéres on day 2 you will be doubling up on part of the Golden Pass you intend on day 3. Are you going to Gruyéres and ??? (Broc Fabrique perhaps) just for the choccies and cheese?

Fitting Jungfraujoch into day 3 or 4 is ambitious given your other travel plans on those days. Have you checked the timetables.

If it was me I would go direct from Lyon to Grindelwald (or Wengen) by the most direct route and enjoy a few night in the Alps before moving on to Lindau. The scenery at Wengen is sensational.

Otherwise just have 1 night in Montreux and give yourselves 2 in the Jungfrau region. Go look at Rochers-de-Naye on day 1 afternoon then Chillon day 2 morning (assuming you are not all castled out after your river cruise) before proceeding to the Alps. Interchange RdN and Chillon based on prevailing weather.

Skip Gruyéres; cheese and choccies are abundant everywhere you go in Switzerland. 😉

Once you finalise your itinerary you can decide on the best pass for your needs.
www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020