Suggestions for travel & places 6 days Switzerland

• pavan572
    Participant
    7 posts
    19 April 2018 at 14:07:33 #815427

Hi,

First of all, I would like to thank the the entire swissalps team. The information was very very detailed and helped me prepare my itenary. I need some suggestions and feedback for my itenary please. we’re of 2.

1) May 3rd : land in Basel airport travel to zurich, if possible city tour and rest in zurich.

2) May 4th : rhine water falls tour. Come back to zurich and shopping or sightseeing if time permits. Travel to Luzerne stay.

3) May 5th : Mount Pilatus ride. If possible cover Stanserhorn or Visit meggenhorn castle (12 minutes from Lucerene station), chapel bridge, lake luzern, Lion monument.

4) May 6th : Travel to engelberg Mt titlis tour.Stanserhorn if not on 5th. travel to thun for stay.

5) May 7th : Jungfraujoch tour. Come back to interlaken by afternoon and have a city tour

Do shopping and travel back to Thun by evening.

6) Travel to bern and have a city tour. Complete the city tour by afternoon and travel to basel by evening.

Could you please tell me if my itenary was fine. My questions are

1)I’m planning to take 4 day swiss pass from 4-7 May.Is that the best option i got, if not alternative pls. Also can you suggest which can to take for 3rd and 8th which are not under travel pass dates. will there be any offers for swiss pass..?

2) what is the best place for swiss souvenirs shopping within budget.

3) I want to go zermatt. Is there any option I can fit that into my tour.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 18:56:31 #882709

Hi Pavan,

Looks nice!

1. I think the 4 day Swiss Travel Pass works out the best & easiest for you yes
    2. Hmm. Can’t think of anything specific…best to keep an eye out during your trip. Prices are pretty similar everywhere
    3. I’d skip Zurich and the RheinFalls for Zermatt. 🙂
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 1:39:31 #882710

>> May 5th : Visit meggenhorn castle (12 minutes from Lucerene station)

• Boats take 44 minutes, and between 21 Apr and 25 May only run on Sundays.
    • Bus #24 from Luzern railway station to the stop Lerchenbühl takes 30 minutes, then you have a 15-minute walk from the bus stop to the castle.
    • The castle is open on Sunday afternoons from April until October.

>> May 7th : Jungfraujoch tour. Come back to interlaken by afternoon and have a city tour

Interlaken itself has the least to offer of any town in the Jungfrau Region in my opinion. It’s a good transport hub and has a lot of shops, restaurants and hotels, but has little charm. Personally, I would give any sightseeing there a miss.

The charming traditional chalet-style villages of Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Grindelwald and Mürren all have wonderful scenery, so I would recommend visiting one or more of those villages. They will be very quiet at this time of year, which is the off season, but still worth seeing for the scenery.

• Lauterbrunnen is on the valley floor, so views are up to the cliffs on each side of the valley, and to the mountains at the valley end. The Staubbach Falls are also a prominent feature in the village.
    • Wengen is on a terrace above the Lauterbrunnen Valley, and has views down to the floor of the valley, across to the cliffs and mountains on the other side, including the Staubbach Falls, as well as over to the Jungfrau Massif. Behind Wengen, the Männlichen massif looms over the village. You could alight at Wengen on your way back from the Jungfraujoch if you go up via Grindelwald and down via Wengen and Lauterbrunnen.
    • Mürren is on the top of the cliffs on the opposite side of the Lauterbrunnen Valley from Wengen, and has remarkable close-up mountain rockface views.
    • Grindelwald is also surrounded by stunning mountains. It has more shops, hotels, restaurants etc than the other villages, and a busier, more commercial feel. It also has traffic.

Wengen and Mürren are car-free, which makes them extra special in my opinion. If you decide to explore Wengen, there is a lookout there that you should not miss. For directions and a photo of the view, please see my post of Feb 20, 2018 – 12:28 PM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/3-nights-itnry-which-travel-pass-pays-off

Alpenrose

pavan572
    Participant
    7 posts
    20 April 2018 at 8:10:47 #882711

Hi Lucas,

Thank you very much. I would like to know the best options for may 3rd and 8th which will not fall under swiss travel pass dates. I read about saver day pass, point -point ticket, but bit confused which is worthy in view of price and purpose. could you please suggest me about that.

Thanks

Pavan

pavan572
    Participant
    7 posts
    20 April 2018 at 8:39:45 #882712

Hi Alpenrose,

Thanks for your response. May be I should skip the visit to the castle. I’ll try to visit any one of the places you suggested. I think we can cover Wengen and Mürren on the same day as they were near to Jungfraujoch.

Regards,

Pavan

pavan572
    Participant
    7 posts
    20 April 2018 at 8:55:49 #882713

Hi

At some point I may have travel with my luggage. Will there be any places where we can park our luggage for sometime and collect after our tour.

Thanks

Pavan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 11:46:20 #882714

A Saver Day Pass only works out if you plan to travel a fair bit that day. I doubt the cost of a ticket from Basel to Zurich is more $ than a day pass. Use the timetable to find prices (the first price you see is the Swiss Half Fare Card price, so double it to get the regular fare.

You can store your luggage at most rail stations in lockers or sometimes left luggage offices. Which area / town are you thinking about?

pavan572
    Participant
    7 posts
    23 April 2018 at 9:31:10 #882715

Hi Lucas,

I’m thinking of keeping my luggage in lockers in bern city on my last day.

pavan572
    Participant
    7 posts
    25 April 2018 at 8:15:48 #882716

Hi,

I thought of buying Swiss Travel for 4 days in online. What is the best option to buy in a website which is having printable at home or Can I buy at Basel airport itself. Please suggest.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 8:30:54 #882717

Bern won’t be a problem for luggage storage.

You can safely buy a Swiss Travel Pass from any of the retailers we suggest here.
    HappyRail & SBB tend to be the most popular and they have email with print at home options (you still have to enter your mailing address details before you get to the email selection).

You can buy it at Basel airport but this saves you the time of waiting in line there (and you have an electronic back-up in case you lose it).

pavan572
    Participant
    7 posts
    25 April 2018 at 9:14:31 #882718

Thank you very much Lucas. Much appreciated.

• The thread ‘Suggestions for travel & places 6 days Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.