6 days in Switzerland itinerary suggestions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2017 at 20:58:55 #811739

Hi ,

We are in Switzerland for 6 nights from 23rd to 30th May. Our rough travel plan is as below:

Day 1: Arrive in Basel, Travel to Interlaken ,explore around, possible trip to lake Thun, Night in Interlaken OR Travel to Grindelwald from Basel , trip to Schilthorn or Lake Thun, Night in Grindelwald

Day 2: Day trip to Trummelbach falls and Jungfrauch, Night in Grindelwald /Interlaken

Day 3: Travel to Zermatt, Trip to Matterhorn, Night in Zermatt

Day 4 : Glacier Express from Zermatt to St.Moritz, Night in St.Moritz

Day 5 : Travel to Lucerne, Trip to Mt. Pilatus , Night in Lucerne

Day 6: Rigi Train , Sight-seeing in Lucerne , Travel to Zurich, Night in Zurich

Day 7: Visit Rhine falls

Is this itinerary feasible? Would it be better to spend the first two nights in Grindelwald or Interlaken? Can the day in Zermatt be replaced with an additional day in Lucern or Zurich since my impression is that there we are dependent on good weather to explore Zermatt?

We have a flight at 3.25 PM from Zurich , will there be enough time to visit Rhine falls on the last day?

We are considering to take the Swiss travel pass,will a 4 day pass suffice or 8 day pass Is required for this itinerary?

Looking forward for your inputs , Thanks !

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 May 2017 at 22:07:58 #863014

Hi Ashwinir18 –

Welcome to my Swiss Alps.

That looks like a good itinerary, as it stands. One thing might be changed. If you wish to go up to Schilthorn, you will save a lot of time by staying in Lauterbrunnen or Wengen.

This map will help make that clear:

map.search.ch/?pos=640176,161632&z=16

Zoom in to see the transport tracks and stops.

This will help with timing and schedules:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

There is a cableway connection from Grindelwald up to Männlichen and down to Wengen, which could be a nice way to get to Wengen from Grindelwald. It starts on the 19th. You are in the area at the tail end of low season, but several weeks before the Summer season begins. Not all restaurants or hotels will be open yet.

Another way to get more flexibility is to skip the Rhine Falls. Nice falls, good flow in the Spring, but Switzerland is not the only place in the world that has waterfalls.

Regarding weather… all high Alpine areas depend on good visibility for maximum enjoyment. In May, there is a significant chance of cloudy weather on high. Don’t bother to go up to Jungfraujoch, at considerable expense, if all you will see is the inside of clouds. The inside of clouds is boring, in my opinion.

Don’t buy a ticket for the Jungfrau untill the night before. In May, it will not be crowded.

Check with tourist offices, train station staff, etc.

Here is a link for weather –

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

Also –

http://www.meteoswiss.admin.c h/home.html?tab=overview

If you have to be at the airport by 1:25 PM, you can do it, but you’d need a very early start. You could leave your luggage at the airport. If you are on Swiss International, you can check luggage at trains stations… not sure the advance time needed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 12:26:15 #863015

Hi Slowpoke –

Thank you for you inputs! I had two more queries:

Based on this itinerary would you recommend Swiss travel pass for 8 days or Swiss Half card? Or by a 4 day Swiss pass and Half fare card for the rest of the days?

I was a little bit late on checking accommodation in Lucerne and most of the room rates are too high. Is there any town near Lucerne which we can look at for reduced room rates?

Thanks !

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 May 2017 at 13:42:22 #863016

Hi Ashwinir18-

I leave the questions about rail passes to Arno or Annika.

They are experts; I am not.

The links on this page can help you.

I note that you say “we.” Are there children in your party? There are some low cost or free passes available for them if you have a pass. Details escape me.

<<“I was a little bit late on checking accommodation in Lucerne and most of the room rates are too high. Is there any town near Lucerne which we can look at for reduced room rates?”>>

The rates at all major tourist attraction cities are always too high.

I rarely stay in Luzern anymore since the Hotel Schiff closed. Their rooms were rather worn out, but clean and not expensive not expensive.

Now, if I do stay in Luzern, I stay at the Hotel des Alpes.

I used to also stay in Dallenwil, Sarnen, Sachseln…all at least worth a check.

These links may help:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ho tels/budget

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/hotels

Before the days of the internet, and even today, I look at a map that shows rail routes into Luzern, and then look up various towns to check.

In the old days . the “looking up” was done in a printed booklet from the Swiss Hotel Asociation. Now, you can use the internet.

I’d tend to look toward the north, along the line from Luzern to Olten. The ones araii=ound the lake can be nice, but some have difficult transport if you want to get into Luzern fast, and being on the lake raises prices. The train service on the eastern shore is quite good, so I’d at least check Brunnen and Flüelen.

map.search.ch/Luzern?poi=zug&pos=670200,213 624&z=32

I recall that some forum member found a good deal in Merlischachen. The town is on a slope, so check the map for distance from the station.

Slowpoke

Annika
    7121 posts
    11 May 2017 at 15:24:04 #863017

Hi ashwinir18,

Based on the itinerary in your first post I’d definitely recommend an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass. You’ll be traveling quite a lot and this is by far the most convenient option, as it allows ticketless traveling on all major routes. All you need additionally are discounted tickets for Jungfraujoch and Klein Matterhorn / Gornergrat (not sure which you intend to visit) plus seat reservations for the Glacier Express and tickets at the Rhine Falls. The rest is covered. Please find all information at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass. If you want to caculate which option is best, the guidelines at myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass may be of help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2017 at 21:06:57 #863018

An accommodation solution is the Youth Hostel where it is approximately CHF 39.50 per person per night and includes breakfast and discounts for many attractions. You can get a private room and if you have children this is a great opportunity for them to miggle with different nationalities.

• The thread ‘6 days in Switzerland itinerary suggestions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.