6 days in Switzerland itinerary from Grindelwald

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Ginahalomoan
Ginahalomoan
12 posts
Apr 15, 2018 - 12:32 AM

Hi

I will be travelling to Switzerland. I did my research (but not straight forwardly finding what I am looking for). I will arrive in Zurich then go straight to Grindelwald. I will make Grindelwald as a base (or Should be Lauterbrunnen instead?) to explore Jungfrau region and Bern (day trip). I have difficulty to plan effective itinerary to visit these places.I will not do excessive hike, but I would like to include nice easy walk down hill to see beautiful scenery, sit have a coffee then enjoy the scenery. So here are places that I would like to see in 4 days.

Schiltorn

Jungfraujoch

lauterbrunnen

Bachalpsee Lake

Mannlichen

lake thun

Schynige Platte with the trip to Brienz to go to the Brienzer Rothorn.

Scenic Switzerland from The Brienz Rothorn Bahn (cog train)

Easy walk - take the lift from Grindelwald to First and then walk to the Bachalpsee.

Murren walk? from where?

Bern day trip

then head to Zermatt for 2 days, after that to St morritz or (chur) which is one better? then head to Austria.

I also need information what kind of transportation I should take to accommodate my schedule above and where I can see the fare for each route that I will take, as I need to calculate if I should get swiss travell pass, or other pass.

Appreciate if you can help me..

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Apr 15, 2018 - 2:59 AM in reply to Ginahalomoan

Hi Ginahalomoan, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> I will be travelling to Switzerland.

There's some key information missing from your post :-) What time of year are you travelling? The more specific you can be with providing travel dates, the better advice you will receive.

>> I will make Grindelwald as a base (or Should be Lauterbrunnen instead?)

Either would be fine - it's largely a matter of personal preference.

Grindelwald is surrounded by stunning mountains. It has more shops, hotels, restaurants etc than the other villages, and a busier, more commercial feel. Grindelwald is reached by train, and has a town bus service. The town bus service only runs until early evening, so staying within easy walking distance of the railway station is a good idea.

Lauterbrunnen is on the valley floor, so views are up to the cliffs on each side of the valley, and to the mountains at the valley end. The Staubbach Falls are also a prominent feature in the village. Lauterbrunnen is reached by train, and has a good village bus service, running half-hourly from early morning until late at night. Look for accommodation within easy walking distance of the railway station or a bus stop.

Both villages have car traffic, unlike the car-free villages of Wengen and Mürren, which are the other two main villages in the Jungfrau Region.

>> to explore Jungfrau region and Bern (day trip). I have difficulty to plan effective itinerary to visit these places.

The key to planning a workable itinerary is to use a map (to see where places of interest are in relation to each other), and the Swiss Timetable (to find out about travel times and determine how much you can fit into one day).

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

>> I will not do excessive hike, but I would like to include nice easy walk down hill to see beautiful scenery, sit have a coffee then enjoy the scenery. So here are places that I would like to see in 4 days. Schiltorn Jungfraujoch lauterbrunnen Bachalpsee Lake Mannlichen lake thun Schynige Platte with the trip to Brienz to go to the Brienzer Rothorn Murren walk? from where? Bern day trip

I think that is a bit ambitious for 4 days. Use the Swiss Timetable to plan your excursions. Some of the places on your list are not accessible year round.

>> then head to Zermatt for 2 days, after that to St morritz or (chur) which is one better? then head to Austria.

St Moritz is more picturesque and has access to more mountain-top trips if you stay long enough to enjoy them. However, it is a very seasonal town, and from early-mid April until mid-late June most mountain transport is closed for maintenance, and many hotels and shops also close. Likewise for the period mid-late October to about mid-December.

If you are only staying overnight and then going to Austria, I would stay at Chur.

>> I also need information what kind of transportation I should take to accommodate my schedule above and where I can see the fare for each route that I will take, as I need to calculate if I should get swiss travell pass, or other pass.

Use the Swiss Timetable (Advanced timetable - all public transport, all routes) for routes and fares. The link has been provided above.

It is important to be aware that the fare shown for any trip in the Swiss Timetable defaults to half fare, as most Swiss residents will have a Half-Fare travelcard which entitles them to this discount. Your calculations need to be based on full fares, which are double the default fare that comes up.

There is information and a spreadsheet here to help you:

www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Alpenrose

Last modified on Apr 15, 2018 - 5:39 PM by Annika
Ginahalomoan
Ginahalomoan
12 posts
Apr 16, 2018 - 12:21 AM in reply to Removed user

Hi Alpenrose,

Thanks for your respond. I will arrive at Zurich on June 15th, 2018. Head to Grindelwald on the same day. I plan to spend 6 days in Switzerland then head to Austria.

Noted on Grindelwald vs Lauterbrunnen. Do we need to rent a car while we are at Grindelwald?

So here is the plan :

Day 1 arrival --explore Grindelwald -->First Cliff walk, First Flyer etc

Day 2 Jungfraujoch via SP ..stop by EIGER on the way back- Wengen- Grindelwald-if possible do the Brienzer Rothorn. Can you advise me how to squeeze this cog train trip?

Day 3 Grindelwald- Schiltorn-murren-Lauterbrunner -- Where we can do nice 15-20 min walk?

With such limitied time, should I choose either Schiltorn or Jungfraujoch so I can have more time to explore other area?

Day 4 Bern

Day 5 Head to Zermatt-- Should I spend 2 days in Zermatt? or it will be similar experience as in Jungfrau region? Otherwise I can add 1 more day in Grindelwald.?

Day 7 Head to AUstria via Chur. St moritz seems not feasible.

You mention that some of the area might not accessible all year round. Which area is it? I will be in JUngfrau area from June 15th to June 19th or 20th.

Is Swiss Travell pass, will benefit me base on my itinerary? or it is better to get Jungfrau VIP pass instead, then buy point to point ticket as I will only use it to go to Bern, Zermatt and Chur? ( I can not find fare Grindelwald to Zermatt) . just to make sure, I have to double all fare listed on all train table?

Also, What do you think Driving from Chur to Salzburg?

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Apr 17, 2018 - 6:49 AM in reply to Ginahalomoan

Hi Ginahalomoan,

You don't need to rent a car. The train will bring you everywhere.

Day 2: use the timetable to plan your trip. Alpenrose has given you the link.

Day 3: take any of the villages. They are all nice. 20 minutes is not a lot of time, so I would suggest you have a walk through the center of any of these villages.

Day 5: Zermatt is different from the Jungfrau region. It will certainly not be the same experience. Have a look at the things to do in Zermatt and decide if you would like to stay 2 days.

Day 7: it should be possible. Maybe not in one day. Did you check it in the timetable?

Alpenrose has given you the information on how to choose the best rail pass. For point-to-point tickets you will have to double the fare. For the Swiss Travel Pass almost all trains are included and for the Jungfrau pass it depends. The Excel spreadsheet has all the links to the relevant information that you need.

Driving is another option, however, not sure how relaxed that is and what the cost is of leaving a Swiss rental car in Austria.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018