6 days Switzerland: towns and route for couple

• sanjeev
    Participant
    48 posts
    15 May 2022 at 11:48:02 #827183

I was planning Switzerland with my wife (both 60, good health) starting July 20 7am – till July 26 – 5pm depart (both Zurich Airport). This is my wife’s first visit, and I have visited this beautiful country, once. I have quite a few places pinned on my

I needed some help on

ROUTE: I was thinking. First 2 nights either Wengen / Murren or Zermatt. Next 3 nights Lucerne . Last night in Zurich. Or shell we leave out Zurich? Let me know if this is good and I will be very happy with experts suggestions.

Would like to visit Mount Titlis, Mount Rigi, Kleine Scheidegg. Not sure if I will visit Jungfraujoch – Top of Europe. Would also like to take a day trip to Maison du Gruyère – Cheese Factory, Gruyères Castle on a Golden Pass Line. We would ve certainly visiting Lakes and other scenic spots in between. Any

TRANSPORTATION: I was thinking STP for 4 days and Saver Day Pass for 2 days. I know it’s difficult to do maths, as I have not I have not planned each days yet. I just thought that with STP we need not worry about cash each time. Also SDP is cheap now if I purchase, NOW. Your suggestions appreciated.

For my day trip to Gruyère – Cheese Factory, Castle, Montreux shell I hire a car (chauffer driven) instead of Golden Pass Line – or car is too expensive? My thought is that we can see some more places on the way.

HOTEL/STAY: Budget is about CHF 200 , per night with breakfast. Also if someone can suggest hotels with Vegetarian Indian Buffet Breakfast .

Also we wanted to do RTPCR Covid test, before we leave, I read somewhere that we can get it done in Lucerne, free of any charges (not sure if its true). Or can we get it done at Zurich Airport.

Do suggest if we can plan some other attraction / or stay at another town and or anything else to make our trip memorable.

Sorry so many Questions. And thanks a lot for your replies.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6376 posts
    16 May 2022 at 3:39:22 #941875

Hi Sanjeev,

I agree with your plans.. Heading straight to Wengen on the first day (as 1st base), and choosing Lucerne as the 2nd base would be my chosen route too. Depending on your flight and itinerary details, I would leave out Zurich and just do a day trip there from Lucerne instead.

As for transportation, I certainly recommend travelling with the train and other modes of public transport. The 4-day Swiss Travel Pass + 2 days of Saver Day Pass in this case would definitely makes sense. Options to purchase the STP online here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price

You can plan a day trip from Lucerne to Montreux using the SBB timetable. Optionally, you might want to spend a night in Montreux so you can allocate a whole day visiting the cheese factory in Gruyeres and the chocolate factory in Broc. Taking the Chocolate Train might be a good idea for this trip.

Let us know if you need further info.

Regards,

Anna

sanjeev
    Participant
    48 posts
    16 May 2022 at 11:49:57 #941876

Thanks a lot for the reply. Very much helpful and I appreciate giving me your time.

Had few concerns.

I will be going to US from Switzerland, hence will be having extra baggage (total 4 ). From Zurich Airport to Wengen requires 4 trains / 3 changes (downloaded SBB timetable). Not sure if I will able to do many changes. The Cab too looks very expensive (upto Lauterbrunnen). What if I first book Hotel at Luzern (1 night) and next 3 nights at Wengen / Grindweld and again same hotel at Luzern for 2 nights. This way I can leave my extra luggage at Luzern Hotel. Will the hotel keep my extra luggage? I have also checked ‘left baggage’ at Zurich airport, and its about CHF 12 per day for a big bag (CHF 72 pretty expensive for my 6 days).

Also i was too excited for your suggestion “spend a night in Montreux for visiting the cheese factory in Gruyeres and the chocolate factory in Broc. Taking the Chocolate Train might be a good idea for this trip”. But not sure how to fit in. Shell i leave out Wengen? I can also plan to stay near Lake Thun or any other place, if accessible by Train.

Please suggest me an Hotel (for about CHF 200, with Vegetarian BF) in both the places.

Also about RTPCR Covid test. I read somewhere that we can get it done in Lucerne, free of any charges (not sure if its true). Or can we get it done at Zurich Airport? on same day of departure (my flight at 5pm).

Thanks for the reply again.

Anna
    6376 posts
    16 May 2022 at 17:42:38 #941877

Hi sanjeev,

I’m not sure the hotel will allow you to store the extra luggage. But if you tell them you have a confirmed booking with them on the way back, perhaps they might oblige. The only way to know is to ask the hotel directly. Alternatively you can check out the luggage lockers at Zurich Airport You can store them in the lockers up to 96 hours (6 days). More details here: http://www.flughafen-zuerich.ch/-/jssmedia/airport/portal/dokumente/passagiere/einkaufen-und-geniessen/21og016_plakat_gepaeck_a1_594x841mm_nbzrh11131.pdf?vs=1.

Most SBB train stations also have left luggage and lockers: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage

Also, you can ask your hotel directly for if they offer vegetarian breakfast. Some hotels are happy to provide customised services. And if they don’t, I’m sure they can offer alternatives or suggestions. Another option would be to stay in self-catering accommodation. Most supermarkets now carry ready-to-cook vegetarian meals such as vege samosas, onion bhajis, and rice + curry, which you can just warm up or cook in the oven.

As for adding a night in Montreux, to minimise switchbacks, I think a sensible plan would be to head straight to Montreux instead of Wengen on the first day. Zurich Airport to Montreux takes about the same time as travelling from Zurich Airport to Wengen so your timing will not change much. But you will need to tweak your itinerary a little bit. Wengen can be your next base after Montreux, then finally Lucerne (depending on your luggage situation of course).

For PCR Test, you can check out the test centre near at the Lucerne train station. There’s also a testing centre at Zurich Airport. But I’m not sure if the services are free. Zurich Airport testing centres: http://www.flughafen-zuerich.ch/en/passengers/news/corona/general-information

Hope this helps you in your trip planning.

Regards,

Anna

sanjeev
    Participant
    48 posts
    18 May 2022 at 15:20:52 #941878

Hi Anna,

I found the a cheaper luggage place to leave at Zurich airport, and I hope it will be somewhat cheaper. I hope my luggage issue will be solved.

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/guides/zurich-airport-guide.htm

Location: next to the Service Center in car park 2 (level 1). Hours: 6:00AM – 10:30PM.

Luggage Storage & Lockers – Store your luggage at the left luggage storage room or lockers available.

Left Luggage Room – Rates are as follows: €5 – €7 per bag for 4 hours • €6 – €9 per bag for up to 12 hours • €8 – €12 per bag for up to 24 hours. Reduced rates area available for longer storage. Clothing or shopping bags cost €5 per day.

Further I am not getting Indian food at Wengen, I mailed only one restaurant at Wengan and they say they are not regular and also close at 6pm. Hence I am now choosing Interlaken and Lucerne as my base (3 nights each). As suggested by you to add Montreux / Chocolate train , I too am eager for this but I am still not sure if I will be able to add it comfortably.

My earlier thought of 4-day Swiss Travel Pass + 2 days of Saver Day Pass, I think that 8 days STP would be better (I also have 7th day to go to the Zurich Airport.

4 days CHF 281

6 days CHF 359

8 days CHF 389

4 days STP 281 + 2 SDP + last day travel is about CHF 450

6 days STP 359 + last day travel is about CHF 400

8 days STP is CHF 389

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am not thinking about half Fare + SDP , as I want to avoid paying change every time.

Thanks for your time again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2022 at 19:01:39 #941879

Hi Sanjeev,

great that you’ve found a solution for your luggage.

I made a quick search and found this Indian restaurant: goldenindia.ch/about-goldenindia-wengen/ I suspect that they are open only during the summer and winter. But their restaurant in Lausanne is open now, and they have vegetarian meals too. Is this the one you’ve found too?

Regarding the rail passes: if you have a Swiss Travel Pass you can stay flexible and it is also comfortable as you do not need to buy train tickets (except for mountain transport). I also recommend the Swiss Travel Pass for your trip.

Ildiko

Bmcar1
    Participant
    16 posts
    21 May 2022 at 15:08:13 #941880

Hi- we had the same problem with our luggage.What we did was have it shipped from Luaterbrunnen to Lucerne. We were headed to Germany for 3 days from Lauterbrunnen and then Lucerne. It was 12 chf per luggage and up to 4 days free storage.

Anna
    6376 posts
    21 May 2022 at 16:43:47 #941881

Hi Bmcar1,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It’s good for other travellers to know that this option is available.

regards,

Anna

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 May 2022 at 15:35:17 #941882

Thanks for your input Bmcar1. Indeed, you can have your luggage transported. For readers who’d like to know more about the options, please see https://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage.

• The thread ‘6 days Switzerland: towns and route for couple’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.