Can I visit Mt. Rigi & Mt. Titlis in 2 days?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2017 at 21:58:47 #812947

Hi,

I will be visiting switzerland on 23 aug 2017 and will be based at Lucerne, I wanted to know if it is possible to do a trip to Mt. Titlis and Mt. Rigi on the same day, I have reserved 2 days from the time of arrival to do lucerne city tour and do Mt. pilatus/Mt. titlis/Mt. rigi.

I will be reaching lucerne by 12 noon, will check in at hotel and visit Mt. Pilatus and if possible do lucerne city tour on day 1 and do Mt. Titlis and Mt. Rigi on day 2, will I be able to cover all these places in 2 day, i will be travelling with my wife and 2 small kids.

Or shall is skip Mt. Pilatus on day 1 and just do Mt. Rigi and do Lucerne city tour and Mt. Titlis on day 2….please help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 5:18:19 #868281

Hi aiyaz

We are also travelling to switzerland in Aug 31st 2017 with 2 young kids aged 2 and 4, also staying in Lucerne, for 3 days before we transfer to Wengen.

I will share my part of itinerary in Lucerne in case you may find it helpful, we have 3 full days in Lucerne, but even then we decided to skip Mt. Pilatus thinking it may be little hectic instead included a day trip to Bern. We made it little bit flexible so that we could make change the plans depending on kids mood and energy left- also the weather!.But I understand you have only 2 days so you would want to make most out of it. I guess technically its possible to combine Pilatus and Rigi, however lets see the responses from the experienced travellers, depends on how old your kids are.

Day1 – Mt. Rigi / Lucerne City tour

Day2 – Bern day trip

Day 3 – Mt. Titlis

pls check out my full itinerary here : http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/7-day-itinerary-first-trip-to-switzerland-in-sep

Hope you have a great trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 6:36:49 #868282

Hi aiyaz1705,

As Semsel said, it is possible to do both mountains in one day but it becomes a bit hectic/rushed.
    I second Semsel’s comments as well: your kids energy levels and weather will be big factors in what you do.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out your trips to and between the mountains and you can best decide yourself whether you want to do it. You would be looking at over 3 hours from one mountain top to the other. If you want to combine 2 mountains in one day, Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Titlis would be the closest to each other (slightly).

If I had to pick only 2 of the 3 mountains I would choose between Mt. Titlis and Mt. Pilatus. It isn’t to say that Mt. Rigi is a must-see but the other two have the same feel/look to them.

Also, I’m not sure if you are planning on buying a Swiss rail pass, like the Swiss Travel Pass but it does offer discounts to some mountains which may sway your decision :). Read more about what the Swiss Travel Pass covers here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 22:52:03 #868283

Hello Lucas/Semsel,

Thanks for your feedback…I think I should skip Mt. Pilatus and just do Mt. Rigi and Lucerne city tour in a day and Mt Titlis on day 2.

Also I wanted to know if I can cover Rhine falls and zurich city in 1 day, I had read that Schaffhausen is also a good place to visit and is closer to Rhine falls, I was thinking I would travel from Lucerne to Rhine falls in the morning and do a zurich city tour in the evening ..is that possible..what would you suggest.

Also I have already got the swiss travel pass as suggested by you in an earlier post…

Your valuable feedback would be a great help, if you can advice what do i club with Rhine falls that can be covered in 1 day, also following is my itinerary for 6 days in switzerland

Day 1- arrive from Zurich airport to lucerne (by 12 noon) and check in the hotel, do Mt Titlis tour

Day2- Rhine falls and Zurich city tour

Day 3- Lucerne city tour and Mt. Rigi

Day 4- Visit the city of bern

Day5- Golden pass train (tickets already reserved for the same)

Day 6- if I am able to cover Lucerne city on day 3 them I may do Mt. Pilatus or do a Zurich city tour (thats if I am unable to do zurich city tour on day 2)as I have a flight late in the evening back to London from Zurich.

Besides day 5 I can play around the days depending on the weather..

Please offer any suggestions for the above Ininerary.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 16:59:23 #868284

Hi Hi aiyaz1705,,

Yes, your new itinerary looks good! Day 2 is fine doing the RheinFalls and Zurich (I wouldn’t worry about visiting Schaffhausen on your first trip to Switzerland).

Be sure to use the Swiss railways timetable from my previous post to help you plan out all your trips – only you can say if a day is too busy for you but it looks good to me.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Can I visit Mt. Rigi & Mt. Titlis in 2 days?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.