Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  6 days Zurich, Lucerne & Interlaken in April 2020

6 days Zurich, Lucerne & Interlaken in April 2020

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Vivek fr2000
Vivek fr2000
4 posts
Feb 14, 2020 - 10:30 AM

Hi I am planning to visit Swiss in April my plan is as below

we are 4 adults & one child below 6 yrs

8th Wed April - land in Zurich in evening.Stay at Ritcherswil(as of now planned to stay here for 4-days temporary budget hotel is booked)

9th Thurs-Exlpore Zurich, Rhine falls(which pass we should buy?)

10th Fri- not sure what to do

11th Sat-Go to Lucern- (Mt Tiitlis & Stansehorn)

12th Sun- Lucern- (Rigi & Mt. Pilatus)- have mt pilatus cog wheel is closed during this period,can u suggest something else?

13th Mon Explore Lucern transport Museum- go to interlaken in evening( if you have some other suggestion plz let me know.)

14th stay Interlaken - Jungfraoujoch(which pass should we consider?. i dont think we get swiss pass for one day)

15th afternoon fly back

should we consider tell- pass of 3 days for Lucern ?

also is it worth to stay in lucern or travel daily from ritcherswil to lucern( i have almost free stay in ritcheswil at my cousin place)

let me know if you have any more suggestion regarding passes, stay or different location

rgds

vivek

Anna
Anna
670 posts
top member &
Feb 14, 2020 - 11:39 AM in reply to Vivek fr2000

Hi Vivek,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Based on your itinerary, you might want to consider getting the 3- or 4-day Swiss Travel Pass combined with the Saver Day Pass. Or opt for the Swiss Half Fare Card. The Tell Pass may also work but it won't cover your trips to the Rhine Falls and Jungfraujoch.

You can download a spreadsheet and do the numbers as explained here: www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

For more details about the respective railpass:

Kids under 6 travel along for free so your child does not need a railpass.

Please use the timetable to plan your journeys: www.myswissapls.com/timetable You can also download a mobile version here: www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/practical/websites

By the way, the cogwheel train from Alpnachstad to Pilatus is currently closed until May. The only way up to Pilatus at this time is via the cable car from Kriens: www.myswissalps.com/pilatus/gettingthere

These links may also be useful for your trip:

Regards,

Anna

Vivek fr2000
Vivek fr2000
4 posts
Feb 14, 2020 - 1:35 PM in reply to Anna

hi Anna Thanks for your reply

I have a spare day between on 10th friday , can you suggest something or should I add an extra day in Lucern- but dont know what to do ? kindly advice

Also I will be buying Swiss Half Fare Card, But confused whether to buy Tell pass(Covers all cable cars- but not Jungfraujoch) or Swiss Travel pass(does not cover cable car for Titlis & only 25% to Jungfraujoch)

rgds

vivek

Anna
Anna
670 posts
top member &
Feb 14, 2020 - 5:53 PM in reply to Vivek fr2000

Hi again Vivek,

I think the 3-day Tell Pass would work well with the Swiss Half Fare Card. The Tell Pass won't be valid for a trip up the Jungfraujoch, but you can use the Swiss Half Fare Card to get 50% discount instead. If you are not sure this is the best combo, please download the handy spreadsheet and do the numbers as explained here: www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

A list of Tell Pass resellers are available here: www.myswissalps.com/tellpass/price, and for Swiss Half Fare Card here: www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/price

Suggestion for the 10th April - If you are still based in Richterswil, I would recommend taking a short train ride to Rapperswil, where you take can a mini or long cruise on Lake Zurich. Rapperswil is also quite a lovely town famous for its medieval castle: www.zuerich.com/en/visit/attractions/town-of-roses-rapperswil

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Anna

CabinJon
CabinJon
115 posts
Feb 14, 2020 - 9:55 PM

If the weather is good, a short boat ride to Rapperswil and a train back to Zurich (or the other way around) would be a lovely way to spend the afternoon, and allow for a bit of time in Rapperswil for exploring. Going through Old Town in Zurich might be of interest to the adults, but I doubt the child would find it any fun.

If the cogwheel train up to Pilatus is shut down when you're there, you can still go up via the gondola & cable car from the other side of the mountain. A short bus ride from the Luzern train station to Kriens, and a 12-15 minute walk to the gondola base station. Back down in reverse order.

Vivek fr2000
Vivek fr2000
4 posts
Feb 16, 2020 - 10:39 AM in reply to CabinJon

Thanks for you reply

Just had one question is Tell pass valid in panaromic voralpen express?

I would like to go upto Pfaffikon the last stop in Lucerne region in Voralpen. Express if it is valid

As I would be 3 days in Lucerna and alreadyi Titlis,stansehorn, Pilatus,rigi,can i do Breinz rothorn is it worth or mangeable?

Annika
Annika
6192 posts
expert &
Feb 16, 2020 - 1:50 PM

Hi Vivek,

Yes, the Voralpen Express route is covered as far as Pfäffikon. You can download a validity map from www.myswissalps.com/tellpass/validity.

Brienzer Rothorn is definitely worth the ride: www.myswissalps.com/brienzerrothorn. Your current itinerary doesn't seem to have time left for it though. You may want to add it as a side-trip from Brienz when traveling from Lucerne to Interlaken on April 13, but you'll have to leave in the (early) afternoon instead of the evening in that case. Whether you want to change your plans for it, is entirely up to you :-).

CabinJon
CabinJon
115 posts
Feb 16, 2020 - 2:11 PM

The Brienzer Rothorn doesn't begin operation until May 9 this year. Even if it was open during your visit, by the time you've been to Titlis, Stanserhorn, Pilatus, and RIgi, it would probably be "just another mountain."

Last modified on Feb 16, 2020 - 2:15 PM by CabinJon
Annika
Annika
6192 posts
expert &
Feb 16, 2020 - 2:56 PM in reply to CabinJon

Thanks for catching that, CabinJon! You're right: train rides up to Planalp are possible from May 9, and all the way up to Brienzer Rothorn from June 6: www.myswissalps.com/brienzerrothorn/gettingthere.

Vivek fr2000
Vivek fr2000
4 posts
Feb 16, 2020 - 6:59 PM in reply to CabinJon

Hi

Thanks for your reply

I have heard the weather for Jungfraucjoch is uncertain n since I am travelling during Easter time. What other options I have if I am unable to do Jungfraucjoch?

Your guidance will be helpful

Steph
Steph
2190 posts
top member &
Feb 17, 2020 - 7:49 AM in reply to Vivek fr2000

Hello Vivek,

With regards to the weather it's rather hard to say, what you can expect. To get some overall information about the weather please use below link and in the second one you will find the superb MeteoSWISS app, which I always use for short term planning:
- www.myswissalps.com/weather
- www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/practical/websites

To find out about other destinations to consider in the Jungfrau Region please see below:
- www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/activities

Best,
Steph

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020