6 nights in Central Switzerland in April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 4:48:28 #815332

Hi there

My wife and I are coming to Switzerland for 6 nights. Arriving in Zurich on the 20th of April. Ive purchased a 3 day flexi rail pass and intend on travelling straight to Lucerne. For 3 nights. That afternoon head to Pilatus.

21st to Pilatus and back for a cruise in the late afternoon on the lake.

22nd to Schiltorn and to explore the city walls.

23rd Golden train to Interlaken. Visit Harder Kulm and the city.

24th to Grndelwald for 2 nights. Afternoon to Helmwehfluh.

25th Junfraujoch. Can swap days around in the case of bad weather.

26th. Train back to Zurich then onto Munich.

Does this sound doable to you guys? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My wife has never see snow and if its snowing whilst we are there even better. Most keen for the views etc.

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 April 2018 at 6:48:43 #882287

Hello Strayya and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

It may not snow but you should be able to see and touch plenty of it. 😎

Are you planning to do the excursions on 22nd and 23rd from Lucerne?

If so why not just head down to Grindelwald on the 22nd. Otherwise you are going to be spending a lot of time in trains. A day trip from Lucerne to Schilthorn (via Interlaken) is one thing but another day to do Harder Kulm and look at Interlaken is not a great use of your time. Interlaken isn’t the greatest place for views.

Or maybe you mean Titlis or something closer to Lucerne rather than Schilthorn? Rigi?

You can easily do Harder Kulm on your way to Grindelwald if you leave your bags in a locker at Interlaken Ost station.

And Heimwehfluh is not a name that crops up all that often on these pages. That seem like an odd place to visit from Grindelwald.

Sorry to sound a bit negative but you should also read this thread for information on what’s operating and what’s not.

Use the Swiss Train Timetable to figure out how long it takes to get from A to B. If you are not familiar with the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page.

Are you sure a 3-day STP is your best option if you are really going to commute between Lucerne and Interlaken? Have you read “How to choose the best travel pass”, downloaded the handy spreadsheet calculator and done the math?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 8:23:39 #882288

Hi Rockoyster

Thanks for your welcome and reply. Ive taken your advice onboard. Have decided just 2 nights in Lucerne with Pilatus and Titlis as our excusions along with a cruise.

Will then head to Grindelwald from there visiting Harder Kulm from the station in Interlaken as suggested.

My wife was keen on the toboggin run at Helmwehfluh but will skip this.

Did think the 3 day flexi was the best option as we travel to 3 destinations on 3 separate days.

Thanks again for your time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 8:58:32 #882289

Just a question to see both Junfraujoch and Schilthorn on consecutive days are we better to stay in Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 April 2018 at 9:39:57 #882290

I would stay in Lauterbrunnen or Wengen. Although at that time of year a lot of things may be closed. Not sure how easy it is going to be to get accommodation at this late stage.

Schilthorn is free with STP. Jungfraujoch is 25% discount from Wengen or Grindelwald. Pilatus and Titlis are 50% discount.

Tell the wife not to worry about missing out on the “toboggan” at Heimwehfluh. You can always stop off on your way up to Pilatus and do a bit of “tobogganing” there.

You do know that you can only reach Pilatus via the cable way from Kriens? The cog-wheel from Alpnachstad is not running at that time of year.

Given the number of days you are here and your choice of trips you may even be better off with a Swiss Half-Fare Card. You’d need to do the sums.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 12:08:57 #882291

Hi

Have opted for Grindelwald for 3 nights 20th to 23rd. Will visit Schilthorn on the 21st before the cable car closes and Jungfraujoch on the 22nd.

Then head to Lucerne 23rd to 25th. Afternoon of 23rd o Titlis. Pilatus on the 24th and a cruise on the lake.

I hope this looks a lot better than my original plan. Thanks for all your info.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 April 2018 at 20:25:42 #882292

Happy travels. Enjoy.

• The thread ‘6 nights in Central Switzerland in April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.