6 nights/7 days to Switzerland – suggestions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2011 at 15:35:17 #804588

Hello All,
    We are planning a 6 nights/7 days trip to Switzerland from UK (bank holiday weekend). I have not booked any accommodation yet and I understand that I am bit late considering it is now high season. I need suggestions from you guys as per below points for my trip:
    1.) We’ll be reaching Zurich at 0840hrs, Zurich – Rhinefalls – Zurich city spend some time and then to Luzern.
    2.) I am planning to stay for all 6 nights in Luzern as getting accommodation in Interlaken (my first choice) even on extended budget is very difficult now. (Is Luzern a good place to start and cover the below plan?)
    3.) We’ll be buying Swiss rail pass saver for 2 for 8 days so that from 1st day until 7th day, we dont have to worry about buying tickets etc. and will free to hop on and off. (Swiss Flexi rail pass for 5 days is more expensive then 8 days Swiss rail pass)
    4.) From Luzern, we are looking to do following on each day of 5 days:
    4.1) Day trip to Engelberg – Mount Titlis – Luzern
    4.2) Day trip to Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Trummelbach falls – Jungfrau – Grindelwad – Interlaken – Luzern
    4.3) Day trip to Interlaken – Beattenberg, Lake Thun cruise or Paragliding (weather dependent)
    4.4) Day trip to Geneva – Castle de Chillion – Montreux (if time allows) back to Luzern
    4.5) Luzern – Chur – take Glacier express to Zermatt, then back to Luzern (Which stretch in Glacier express is worth seeing?)
    4.6 Last day Luzern to Berne, spend some time in Berne and then Berne to Zurich Airport to board late evening flight to Heathrow.

Please provide me as many suggestions you can. Thanks

regards
    Raj

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    9 August 2011 at 7:14:22 #833811

Hi Raj, and welcome! I the 8 day Swiss Saver Pass is a great choice, as it’s very convenient and economical for your stay and the trips you’ve planned. Just enter your country of residence and other relevant travel data under the header ‘Where to buy your Swiss Pass’ at the page I just linked to for an overview of purchase options and prices.

I’m not sure if Lucerne is the best base for your plans. It’s a good starting point for the trip to Titlis, but for visiting the Trümmelbach falls, the Jungfraujoch, Beatenberg or lake Thun it would be better to stay in or near Interlaken. I’m not sure when you’re leaving, but you can look for accommodation in nearby towns too. Consider Wilderswil, Bönigen, Ringgenberg, Faulensee, Spiez or Brienz for example. These pages may be interesting too.

The trips to Chateaux de Chillon and especially Chur/Zermatt would be very long from Lucerne. Did you check the timetable for exact traveling times? It may be better to choose a second base as well. You could first visit Bern and then head onto Montreux for a visit to the Chillon Castle and an overnight stay. Then, travel onto Zermatt, take the Glacier Express to Chur, and get to Zurich Airport from there. This itinerary would reduce traveling times.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2011 at 7:41:04 #833812

Hi Annika,
    Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I did a bit of findings on nearby areas in Interlaken to stay (Spiez, Bienz, Thun). As I am bit late and yet to book accommodation and my travel dates are from 27-08 to 02-09, which is a peak season and Tariff for BnB and Hotels are at their peak (I would say, even accommodation with worse reviews are asking for fortune amount). I thought of Luzern as its city and with lot of convenience like supermarket, transport are easy to reach. Travel time wise Spiez – Geneva takes 2hr 20 mins, Brienz – Geneva takes 3hrs and Luzern – Geneva takes 2hrs 50 minutes, probably Luzern being a city and has a big train station, so there are direct and fast trains to all the cities and areas.

I will see if I can spend one night in Lausanne as you have suggested and then on last day take train to Zermatt and then on-board Glacier exp to Chur and to Zurich airport. Do you know if all the main train stations provide luggage locker facility to leave your luggage and collect when you return and is it safe as well?

Below is the list of travel duration from Luzern by train
    Luzern – Interlaken Ost (2 hrs)
    Luzern – Geneva (2hr 50 mins)
    Luzern – Zurich (46 mins)
    Luzern – Engelberg (47 mins)
    Luzern – Chur (2hr 8 mins)
    Luzern – Berne (1hr 20 mins)
    Zermatt – Luzern (3hr 20 mins)

I have to check how time does it take from Spiez, seems like its more sensible.

regards
    Raj

Annika
    7124 posts
    10 August 2011 at 3:40:36 #833813

Hi Raj. Yes, the larger railway stations all have safe lockers for your luggage. As for accommodation: I think Spiez would be a great central location. But you’re right, train connections from main cities are pretty good. Just note though that the timetable always comes up with the most direct and quickest route. For example: Lucerne-Chur would indeed take 2hr and 8ms when traveling directly via Zurich. But if you want to make the detour via Zermatt and the Glacier Express, it would be way longer. Such exact trips can be displayed by adding ‘via-stations’ when entering your connection. The ‘advanced search’ option allows you to add several via-stations for an exact travel scheme.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2011 at 8:29:41 #833814

Hi Annika,
    Thank for all your suggestions. I have now sort of found an accommodation (Chalet) in Aeschi b Spiez, and there is a bus to the Spiez train station which takes app 20 minutes. We will make it as a base for all 7 days and just do our day tours based on weather.

regards
    Raj

Annika
    7124 posts
    10 August 2011 at 10:16:22 #833815

That’s great Raj! Aeschi is situated beautifully. Enjoy your stay in Switzerland!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2011 at 16:31:53 #833816

1. be certain, you have beautiful weather for Zermatt- otherwise it is money wasted.
    2. At the Truemmelbach Falls they do not take any credit card for payment.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2011 at 16:52:58 #833817

HI Almrose, I’ll make sure before making a trip to Glacier express. As we have now decided to stay for all 6 nights in Aeschi bei Spiez, thus we can make a trip from Spiez to Zermatt and then from Zermatt to Chur and will come back to Spiez. Basically the whole day we will dedicated to nice train journey. Regarding Trummelbach, I’ll note your point.
    [quote]alpenrose said: 1. be certain, you have beautiful weather for Zermatt- otherwise it is money wasted.
    2. At the Truemmelbach Falls they do not take any credit card for payment.[/quote]

• The thread ‘6 nights/7 days to Switzerland – suggestions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.