5 night Swiss itinerary Zurich and Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2018 at 12:28:10 #815113

Hi everyone,

We are a group of 4 who plan to travel in Switzerland in mid of July. Could anyone please comment on my current plan and provide better suggestion on the trip to make it more enjoyable?

This is my current status of the plan, please have a look 🙂

Day 1 – arrived at 1030am (Fixed), Rhine Falls – Zurich town

Day 2 – Zurich- Chur(€39.40), Bündner Kunstmuseum, 1118am glacier express Chur to Brig- interlaken(€44.00)

Day 3 – Interlaken – Grindewald(€24.80 return) – Jungfraujoch

Day 4 – Interlake for(paragliding,half day only, late afternoon to lucerne (€32.00)

Day 5- Lucerne(€32.00)

Day 6 – Lucerne- Zurich(€29.40) airport at 1200pm (Fixed)

We will spend:

1st night in Zurich, 2nd&3rd in Interlaken, 4th&5th night in Lucerne

Question:

1. Should I get Swiss travel pass? as after calculated the travel fee, not sure if i need to get the 4 days travel pass as it doesnt include glacier express and train from Grindlewald to Jungfraujoch.

2. I have tried to apply swiss pass for discount when i try to book glacier express but it doesnt do any changes.

3. How much doesnt it cost for the train from Gindlewald to Jungfraujoch? Are there any entry fee to Jungfraujoch?

Looking forward for your reply soon.

Many Thanks,

Karyl

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2018 at 14:04:09 #880745

Hi Karyl, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Thanks for sharing your itinerary.

1. The Swiss Travel Pass does include the Glacier Express. Only the reservation costs are not included. You also get 25% discount on your train from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch. You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” and do the math again.
    2. There is no Swiss Travel Pass discount as it is covered by the pass.
    3. This trip is very expensive without any rail pass. With the Swiss Travel Pass the trip will cost you CHF 138,-. Tickets can be booked here.

Read more about where the Swiss Travel Pass is valid on our webpage here. And have a look at the activities you can do in Lucerne here. You might be interested in a boat trip which is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass as well.

I hope this helps.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 10:38:32 #880746

Dear Chantal,

Thank you for your advice. After the calculation, i think I will be getting Swiss Half Fare Card, so I can used since day 1. Regarding the itinerary, could you advise me if I should stay in Grindelwald or Interlaken?

Regards,

Karyl

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 16:40:51 #880747

Hi Karyl,

Grindelwald and Interlaken are pretty close to each other. I’d choose Grindelwald – prettier town and scenery.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 0:17:47 #880748

You don’t have to use the Glacier Express on the Chur – Brig route, you can use ordinary trains with no extra cost. It does mean swapping between trains with luggage but at the two places where this is necessary (Disentis Mustér and Andermatt) the trains are close to each other and staff expect people to make changes so can help guide you.

Incidentally there is no 11.18 Glacier Express from Chur – it is slightly later at 11.26.

Jungfraujoch is very expensive and a bit too much like a theme park nowadays. Perhaps consider Chur – Zermatt all the way on the Glacier Express and do the Gornergrat mountain railway. I always recommend this over the Jungfraujoch (where the train is in tunnel much of the time on the upper section) The Gornergrat is more open, somewhat less regimented train access, train is in the open most of the way to Gornergrat with fabulous views of the iconic Matterhorn, etc)

• The thread ‘5 night Swiss itinerary Zurich and Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.