7- day trip in early September- Luzerne and Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 11:58:44 #813245

Following is the summary of our 8 – day trip to Switzerland on Sep 1 with family thats me, husband and my boys aged 2.5 and 4.5 yrs. Spent 4 nights in Luzern and 3 at Wengen. We had our 8-day Swiss travel pass ready and printed from home and it was very handy and convenient throughout although we had to pay in some places especially during our Wengen stay.

Day 1 –Took morning flight from Dubai and Arrived at Zurich– straight to Luzerne by train, checked into apartment by 11.30 pm.

Day2 – Heavy and continuous rain, so no mountain trips. We took the scenic Luzerne – Interlaken express, very beautiful route crossing Lake Brienz and Lake Thun. Got down at Brunig station and caught the bus to Ballenberg Open air museum. It was pretty dull out there, could be coz of the rain. No animals outside. But the huts and the lush green meadows were looking very pretty.

Came back to hotel, rain had subsided, took short walks around Luzern

Day 3 – weather forecast not good again, so no mountain trips. Walked around the Chapel bridge and the church and small street behind. It was beautiful. Took the bus to Swiss Transport museum. Children spent a good amount of time in the outdoor activity area with construction equipment, the mini steam engine ride etc. It turned out to be their favourite. We also spent some good time at the Lakeside across the opposite the museum (Verkhershaus Lido). By afternoon sun was shining and we headed for a Bern city trip.

We loved every bit of Bern Old town, the Einstein house, the clock tower, Parliament building.. the Kramgrasse street was so unique and beautiful. Children had fun spotting the bear at the Barenpark.

Got back to the hotel. Since we have only more day left at Luzern we decided to do Mt. Titlis and Mt. Rigi the next day even though it will turn out to be a tight schedule- we wanted to give it a try.

Day 4 –started early to Engelberg, got the Mt Titlis tickets (50% off with Swiss Travel Pass). As we waited for the bus to the cable car station clicked some pictures of the picturesque valley. As we reached the cable car station, we realized it was only at a walkable distance- what a shame! We could have saved some time there. Had snow fun at Titlis as it was our first snow experience. Cliff walk was good. Had a look at the Glacier cave – it was more cold there inside than the mountain itself. Got our family photo clicked at the photo studio in the traditional attire.

Finished Titlis and came to Luzern we checked the Rigi timetable thinking that it’s still possible, we caught the boat to Vitznau. The boat ride was so nice and relaxing. However, as we reached the Vitznau station, the staff said we cannot catch the next train to Rigi as it will leave in 3 mins afterward the next train is only around 10pm. No regrets, as we decided to push it for the next day for quicker full train ride to Rigi so we could enjoy the mountain in day light. We enjoyed the sunset and Luzerne night view on the ride back on the same boat.

Day 5- Checked out from apartment and dropped luggage at Luzerne railway station. Reached Rigi Kulm via direct train from Arth-Goldau. It was sunny up at the mountain and the views were really good. Reached Wengen by 4 pm got some rest and went for evening walk. The hotel was right next to the Station. We checked out the Protestant church nearby as well.

Day 6 –Train until Grindelwald and then cable car to First, took the cliff walk. Decided to hike to Lake Bachalpsee. Walked for around 50 minutes with kids and strollers. To be honest it was not so easy with the strollers as I had read and my kids would not walk for long. But that partial walk itself was really rewarding with some nice views of the snow mountains and the green pastures. We were also discouraged by the passers-by as they told us it’s only going to get steeper. With a heavy mind we decided to walk back. On the return from First cable car we got off at the Bort playground for the children.

We ended the day with a walk in the Lauterbrunnen valley and the Staubbach falls.

Day 7- Murren Village, Funicular to Allmendhubel flower park and then Murren to Gimmelwald by cable car. All these places were stunning and children really enjoyed the Funicular ride. No hikes on this day but really enjoyed exploring the villages, the honesty shop at Gimmelwald, the beautiful farms, houses etc. Gimmelwald is literally the heaven on earth!

I had read about the bus trip from Grindelwald to Grosse Scheidegg. We managed to fit it in on this day by catching the last bus at 5:43 pm! Believe me I found Grosse Scheidegg to be the coldest place throughout our trip. Spent some 10-15 minutes there and caught the bus back to Grindelwald.

Day 8 – Last day in Switzerland. Checked out from hotel but we had the option to keep luggages in their store room for one day. So we did that. We badly wanted to take at least one full hike in Switzerland. So headed to Mannlichen via cablecar from Wengen to do the “Grannies walk” (Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg). Kids enjoyed some time at the Mannlichen playground as well. This hike was a fairly easy one with the kids. We took around 1.5 hours to finish. It was very foggy for a good part, but that added to the beauty of the route in my opinion. We returned to Wengen in train from Kleine Scheidegg. I was not aware this route is not covered by the STP, so we paid at the train itself.

We 4 truly enjoyed the trip and definitely want to come back. What we planned and could not do was only 2 : The First – Lake Bachalpsee hike and the cruise on Lake Brienz. But we feel proud about having achieved most of our plans despite lots of changes in the schedule due to bad weather. It’s all about your willpower and careful planning. I never imagined my kids would enjoy the trip this much – may be because we managed to find play areas wherever we went!! No words about the Public transport system – especially punctuality and cleanliness. There is even play areas in some trains in the upper deck.

Thank you to everyone in MySwissalps.com who helped me with lots of useful information and in planning my trip. Please let me know if you have any questions if you are planning a Swiss trip in the near future and I would love to hear your comments about my trip as well! Will try attaching some pics

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 21:36:40 #869749

Hi, will be in Wengen on 16th for a trek. What was temperature when there? From FL and is a concern! Also, did you find the trains easy to navigate? Thank you for your post.

Jill

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 23:27:51 #869750

Hi Semsel,

Glad to hear your trip was a success!

Things can get tricky I am sure with young children but it sounds like you did well!

If you want to upload pictures they do need to be under 1mb.

Cheers!
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 23:28:36 #869751

Hi semsel,

Thanks for your trip report – I enjoyed reading it!

It’s good to see how you were able to be flexible and get the most out of your holiday despite some bad weather.

It’s also nice to hear how much your children enjoyed the holiday as well. I have been impressed to see how many playgrounds the Swiss have installed in scenic locations – that’s always a bonus when travelling with children!

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 September 2017 at 1:49:02 #869752

Hello semsei,

Thanks for sharing your adventures. Always good to hear how members of the forum go when they actually experience Switzerland first-hand. Very glad you all four enjoyed the trip. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2017 at 7:02:52 #869753

Thanks everyone for your comments!

I will try to share the links of the pictures here- let me know if you are able to access it.

Some of the pictures are very dark and taken on mobile – please excuse..and I’m a no good photographer.

Grindelwald First1 – flic.kr/p/YrnhP2

Grindelwald First 2- flic.kr/p/YrFHRm

Grindelwald First3 – flic.kr/p/XqUnam

Grindelwald First Cliffwalk – flic.kr/p/Yui2hR

Gimmelwald 1- flic.kr/p/YoMhYS

Gimmelwald 2- flic.kr/p/YoMnXE

Swiss trasnport museum rain clouds – flic.kr/p/YroH92

Mt. Rigi1 – flic.kr/p/Xq21RB

Mt. Rigi2 – flic.kr/p/YnbDT7

Staubbach falls1 – flic.kr/p/Y6JJPf

Staubbach falls 2 – flic.kr/p/Y6Jyof

Allmendhubel1 – flic.kr/p/Yui89a

Allmendhubel2 – flic.kr/p/Y6Jurs

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2017 at 16:59:31 #869754

Nice! thanks for sharing the photos. 🙂 Always good to see the area for other members.

Cheers,
    Lucas

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    14 September 2017 at 23:49:02 #869755

Hello Semel,

Thank you for sharing. Glad everyone had a great trip inspite of the weather.

We are due to fly off to Switzerland this Sun 16 Sept. Read on the news that the weather was really bad yesterday and the SQ plane couldn’t land in Zurich even after 3 attempts. They had to land in Frankfurt instead.

Trusting we won’t have this problem and the skies will clear up.

Hope to do a trip report when we are done.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2017 at 4:09:07 #869756

Lovely photos – thanks for posting the links!

Alpenrose

macca
    Participant
    16 posts
    16 September 2017 at 16:45:03 #869757

Hi Semsel – enjoyed hearing about your trip. If it’s any consolation we did the Bachalpsee hike yesterday and it was so cold and overcast that we only lingered about 15 mins before heading back! The lake wasn’t looking it’s best. I imagine in sunshine its much more scenic. The hike there must be tough with a stroller as so much is up hill. You did well to manage it for almost an hour! We loved First and all the activities.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2017 at 8:47:36 #869758

Thanks macca for your comment, well that’s a consolation for sure 😉 I hope you had a memorable trip, true that First was so nice

• The thread ‘7- day trip in early September- Luzerne and Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.