Base ideas for 7 day trip in Switzerland late Sept

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2018 at 15:58:38 #817896

Hi friends,

This is Ravi here. I am visiting Switzerland for 7 days with my family- my wife & my daughter 5 yr old in last week-1st week of October.

Itinerary includes Lucerne- interlaken – the glacier express

Could anybody advise me whether to stay at one place or at multiple location.?

In case I want to make one place as the base which one it should be- Lucerene or Interlaken.?

where can i catch the glacier express?

would appreciate your help in planning my 7 days effectively.

Looking fwd to suggestions

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2018 at 7:09:45 #894275

Hi Ravi and welcome to MySwissAlps!

For 7 days I’d be tempted to base in both Lucerne and a village near Interlaken. A few towns we like in the area are noted here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

The best base will depend on exactly what you want to do and see while in Switzerland. For ideas on what to do here and where, look here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities

We don’t create itineraries here, but can offer planning help: http://www.myswissalps.com/pl antrip/doityourself

Once you have a rough itinerary, post it here and we’ll give you our thoughts. Be sure to also use the Swiss railways timetable to plan the trips: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

The Glacier Express runs between St. Moritz and Zermatt. You would need to overnight in both those towns if you wanted to do that train trip (8 hours). Read more about it here: http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2018 at 13:01:50 #894276

Dear Lucas,

Thanks for the valuable suggestion.

thinking for following Itinieary:

27th Sept: arrival from Paris in the evening( Around 5 PM)

28th Sept: Explore Mount Pilatus.

29th Sept : Lucerne– St. Moritz. could not get timetable for train departing Lucerene. Is it too early for the search?

30th Sept: Take the Glacier Express to Zermatt. Overnight in Zermatt.

1st Sept: Zermatt, Gornergrat and Matterhorn

2nd Sept: Zermatt to Interlaken

3rd Sept: Jungfraujoch / Aletsch glacier.

4th sept : Departure Individual return journey.

I will be headed to Nice France.

In such case, i can also plan interlaken- St Moritz – lucerene as i belief train connection is better to Nice from Lucerne.

Do you think, it will be too much travelling considering i have a child of 5 yrs age?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2018 at 18:22:51 #894277

Hi Ravi,

Looks like a fine itinerary Ravi.

29th Sept: You can find trains from Lucerne to St. Moritz on the timetable. You found all other trips but not that one? Very odd.

3rd Sept: You’ll find trying to do both Jungfraujoch and the Aletsch Glacier is not possible in one day.

I’m not sure how much train travel and sitting still a 5 year old can deal with. The longest day that might be an issue is the Glacier Express (8 hours). You know your child best though. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2018 at 4:07:17 #894278

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your propmt reply.

Can i start the tour at Interlaken- st Moritz- Lucerne and then back to Nice, France.

will it better than Lucerene-St. Moritz- Interlaken

Ravi.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2018 at 8:04:29 #894279

Hi Lucas,

I was checking out timing & stuff and it seems all the above itineary will be too hectic.

I will have to take out one of places from my itineary, either Lucerne, Zermatt or St. moritz

which one do you suggest?

Ravi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2018 at 12:50:40 #894280

Hi Ravi,

If you want to do the Glacier Express trip in fill you’ll need to keep Zermatt and St. Moritz. If you don’t want to skip Lucerne then you should cut out the Glacier Express trip and just go to Zermatt.

From Zermatt to Interlaken you can take the lötschberg train (travel via Kandersteg) and you’ll get to experience a very scenic train route. A nice option instead of the Glacier Express.

• The thread ‘Base ideas for 7 day trip in Switzerland late Sept’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.