7-day trip Geneva-Interlaken-Lucerne: plan review

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 10:36:37 #814437

Hi All,

I have came up with below itinerary for 7 day trip to Switzerland in last week of may 2018. Kindly have a look and suggest any inclusion/exclusion.We are planning to take Swiss family travel plan

Thanks in Advance

Day 1

Paris to Geneva. Reach Geneva Gare Cornavin station Leave the baggage in counter. 1 hour Geneva Bay boat ride. Jet d EAU water fountain.Train from Genève to Montreux, Chillon Castle – Chateau de Chillon.Overnight in Montruex

Day 2

Broc chocolate factory trip. Back to montruex to collect language as no language storage facility in broc and travel to Interlaken via golden pass line. Overnight in Interlaken

Day 3

Visit to Jungfraujoch top of Europe. Return to lauterbrunnen, afernoon to grindwald. Overnight in Interlaken

Day 4

Bern city sightseeing, River cruise on brienz, sunset at Harder Kulm. Overnight in Interlaken

Day5

Mt Rigis, Chapel Bridge (Kapellbrucke), Overnight in Lucrene

Day6

Mt titlis, Old Town Lucerne, Dying Lion of Lucerne Monument, Overnight in Lucrene

Day7

lucrene to rhine falls, Zurich lake cruise. Catch late night flight back home from zurich

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 17:22:39 #876844

Hi RamyaR,

Thank you for sharing your itinerary. I have a few suggestions:

Day 1: I would go straight to Montreux and do the boat trip there. I personally think that that part of the lake is prettier. When on the train to Montreux, make sure you sit on the right side to enjoy the view.

Day 2: did you check the Swiss timetable if this is doable? You might want to go directly to Interlaken after your visit to the chocolate factory. When using the Swiss timetable make sure you put Zweisimmen in the via box to make sure you will be traveling via the Golden Pass route.

Instead of staying in Interlaken, it might be nice to chose a smaller village, like Wengen or Grindelwald.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 February 2018 at 5:06:21 #876845

Hello Ramya,

If the boat ride in Geneva is just a short one to see the Jet d’Eau I guess that is okay, but Chantal is absolutely correct that boat rides on the eastern half of the lake (say from Lausanne onwards) are much more pretty.

Interlaken is more convenient for setting off to visit Berne, going on a boat on the Lac de Brienz, getting back after a sunset up at the Harder Kulm, and leaving for Lucerne, but it lacks the quaintness of the villages up the Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen valleys, and so you might want to consider a place like Lauterbrunnen or Wengen instead of Interlaken, but then you might want to reduce hotel changes as much as possible.

The old part of Lucerne is lovely, and if the weather isn’t good for going up mountains a visit to the Swiss Transportation Museum might be interesting. As for lake cruises, doing this on Lake Lucerne is, in my mind, far more interesting than Lake Zurich.

Pickergal
    Participant
    88 posts
    21 February 2018 at 15:42:41 #876846

Hi RamyaR,

The train station in Broc may not have storage facilities but the chocolate factory does. It is a very short walk from the train station to the chocolate factory and you can rent storage lockers there. If I remember right, it even gives you your money back at the end. Personally, I think it would be a shame if you didn’t also go to Gruyeres to the cheese factory and Chateau Gruyeres. It is a very short train ride from Broc. There are also storage facilities at the cheese factory in Gruyeres. Since you do not have to leave your luggage in Montreux, perhaps you could fit this in.

Safe travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2018 at 18:10:06 #876847

Thanks a lot Chantal,Peterli,Pickergal.I will plan to do crusie in Montreux as you have suggested.We have decided to make Grindelwald as base instead of interlaken. If Chocolate and Cheese factory have storage facility then i would plan to go directly from there to Grindelwald via Zweisimmen. Since in many places in forum it was mentioned that there are no storage facilities in broc and Gruyeres i had planned to leave luggage at montreux and return to collect it.Thanks again for valuable suggestions

Pickergal
    Participant
    88 posts
    23 February 2018 at 18:29:02 #876848

RamyaR,

We had 2 large backpacks with us. They were the size of the largest carry-on for air travel. We had no problem fitting them in a locker. If you have suitcases that are really large, it may be more of an issue.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2018 at 10:21:07 #876849

Thanks Pickergal .We r planning to keep our luggage light .Hopefully ours too will fit.

Just wanted to know couple of things. Kindly let us know your thoughts

1)is it worth visiting broc and Gruyeres .We have a 12 yr old daughter and hoping she might like the chocolate factory

2)Day 3 , We had to chose between Schilthorn or First in grindwald and we choose First grindwald as Schilthorn will be more or less same experience of Jungfraujoch.is it a right decision

3)We have chosen mt rigi over mt Pilatus. Again want to know if that’s right decision

4)We are missing zermett and St. Moritz .Are we doing wrong by missing this.Is there a way we can include these 2 places. As per understanding these are again in different route and would need an extra day in our itinerary.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2018 at 7:33:21 #876850

Hi RamyaR,

1. Yes I would go for sure!
    2. What is it that made you want First? How is Schilthorn similar to Jungfraujoch? First is a good option though Schilthorn is free if you are using a Swiss Travel Pass... 🙂
    3. Very different mountains – Pilatus is higher and traveling up the mountain is impressive (cogwheel from Alpnachstad) but Rigi might have a few more activities at the top…Hard decision for sure but not one you’ll regret either way.
    4. If you want to see the Matterhorn I’d try to fit it in – but if it isn’t that important don’t worry about Zermatt. You might be able to fit it in after Montreux and your visit to Broc before Interlaken – but very tricky. I would scrap your last day plans of Zurich and RheinFall though to help you fit it in. Stay in Lucerne and go straight to the airport from there.
    Pickergal
    Participant
    88 posts
    25 February 2018 at 21:38:46 #876851

Hi RamyaR,

I have never been to Rigi so I can’t compare it to Pilatus but we absolutely loved Pilatus. We took the cogwheel up but then went down the other way with the gondolas and stopped and did the luge. It was one of the highlights of our trip! I am not sure what time of year the luge opens.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2018 at 3:18:11 #876852

Thanks Lucas and pickergal.

Hi Lucas

<<What is it that made you want First? How is Schilthorn similar to Jungfraujoch? >>

What i meant when i say Schilthorn similar to Jungfraujoch is that but are snow covered.view We chose First as that gives a different flavour .It is green covered view as we are visiting in end of may and while coming down we are planning to use mountain cart and trottibike.is this doable in may ( We will be at thsi place on 21st May)

Let me see if i can utilize last day in better way as our flight back home is at 9 PM and we will almost get almost whole day

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2018 at 6:19:46 #876853

Hi RamyaR,
    Depending on the weather conditions you should be able to use the Trottibikes. That should be a fun ride.

• The thread ‘7-day trip Geneva-Interlaken-Lucerne: plan review’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.