Best base town for Jungfrau region? June 15-22

• philipd
    Participant
    15 posts
    4 March 2018 at 15:31:14 #814613

I have firmed up my itinerary and now decided to make a base for 7 days in one city and then travel from the base to different cities and attractions.My choice for making base is: Brienz, or Wengen,or Lauterbrunnen. Can you please advise plus and minus points for each location. Our priority is only central location, close to train station and scenic surroundings. If feasible you can also suggest Apartment/chalet for 7 days in each city.

My plan is: From Venice I will travel straight to the base city on 15th June. I will travel from base cities to following attractions/cities. Might explore if from Venice can do Gotthard panorama express journey to my base city or other scenic journey, once I finalize the base city.
    Lucerne, Bern(-possibly Zurich also), Will only do golden pass line
    Wengen, Zermatt( one day only)
    I will cover above cities and important attraction from 16th till 21st.

on 22nd June ( 2 nights in Geneva-22 nd and 23rd) will move to Geneva base, and will travel from Geneva to Montreux and also to Laussane.
    24th early morning departing from Geneva airport.

Many Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2018 at 16:58:55 #877705

Hi Philip,

In the future feel free to keep posting on your original post especially if the topic remains the same. 🙂 But not to worry!

Did you get enough help for choosing a base on your last post (https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/base -for-7-days-june-15th-june-22nd)?

Each town link on your last post has a tab for hotels and rentals that can help you look through your options on each town.

Lucerne and Bern are good towns to visit if you have the time. I wouldn’t worry about Zurich unless you have something specific in mind there.

You can do the Gotthard Panorama Express line from Lugano to Lucerne (and then to your base town). You can either take the express train itself or if you miss the once-per-day departure, you can take a regional train on the same route. A bit of a round about way but it can work if you have the time.

Another idea is Venice Lugano but then to Locarno, Domodossola and on to Brig and your eventual base town. It isn’t a specific panoramic train but it is very scenic from Lugano to Domodossola especially (and a bit more direct).

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out your trips.

philipd
    Participant
    15 posts
    5 March 2018 at 3:24:12 #877706

Many Thanks.

I will plan accordingly.

Philip

• The thread ‘Best base town for Jungfrau region? June 15-22’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.