7 day holiday to Switzerland – best rail pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2017 at 9:02:29 #813307

Hi, my wife and me are planning our honeymoon to Switzerland from the 9th Oct – 15th October. We are generally trying to spend some times together, understand each other better and at the same time spend time visiting nature and mountains. We did a bit of homework and we have our itinerary listed as below. We are planning to use the public transport for all our travels, thus I need some suggestion on which pass should we purchase.

9th Oct (Day 1) : Arrive Zurich in the morning. Travel to Lucerne by train.

Trip to Mt Rigi / Lake Lucerne cruise (Something more relaxing after the long travel. Please advise. )

Overnight stay in Lucerne

10th Oct (Day 2): Trip to Mount Titlis

Overnight stay in Lucerne

11th Oct (Day 3) : Travel to Interlaken/ Murren / Lauterbrunnen (Which is a better option as we plan a trip to Staubbach Fall and Jungfrau?)

We want to spend some time visiting Staubbach Fall.

Overnight stay in Interlaken/ Murren / Lauterbrunnen

12th Oct (Day 4) : Trip to Jungfrau

Overnight stay in Interlaken / Murren / Lauterbrunnen

13th Oct (Day 5): Travel to Zermatt in the morning

Visit the Matterhorn

Overnight stay in Zermatt

14th Oct (Day 6) : Gorner gorge / Any other recommendation

Overnight stay in Zermatt

15th Oct (Day 7) : Travel from Zermatt to Geneva

Fly home from Geneva

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2017 at 16:49:20 #869986

Hi Sathia19,

Thanks for starting a new thread here!

Did you read through the link I put on your last post on how to choose the best rail pass?
    doing the math on that web page is the only way to know for sure.

That being said, based on your itinerary I would look at the Swiss Travel Pass for 8 days.

For your visit to the Jungfrau region I would stay in Lauterbrunnen as it offers good rail access to visit other villages and mountains – it is also a prettier area than Interlakenwhich also offers good rail options.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2017 at 3:21:22 #869987

Hi Lucas

Thanks for the reply and really appreciate that. I did explore the options for the best rail pass and I have to agree with you that the 8 Days Swiss Pass will be the best options for us. Moreover it offers free travelling by trains, bus to all the destination and free access to museums and Mt. Rigi. Based on the input, I have made slight changes to the itinerary and appreciate your feedback and input to make it a fruitful trip for us.

9th Oct (Day 1) : Arrive Zurich airport at 7.20am. Make a trip to Rhinefalls by train. (I understand there is an options for us to leave our luggage in Zurich train station lockers?) Spend a couple of hours at Rhinefalls and back to Zurich. Travel from Zurich to Lucerne. Check in to the hotel and take some rest before and enjoy the Lake Lucerne cruise in the evening. Overnight stay at Lucerne.

10th Oct (Day 2): Trip to Mount Titlis.

Overnight stay in Lucerne.

11th Oct (Day 3) : Travel to Lauterbrunnen. Check in to the hotel and make a trip to “Staubbach Fall”. Spend a couple of hours there and back to the hotel, spend the rest of the evening in the village.

Overnight stay in Lauterbrunnen.

12th Oct (Day 4) : Trip to Jungfrau

Overnight stay in Lauterbrunnen.

13th Oct (Day 5): Travel to Zermatt in the morning. Check in to the hotel. Visit Gorner Gorge. Overnight stay in Zermatt.

14th Oct (Day 6) : Trip to Matterhorn

Overnight stay in Zermatt.

15th Oct (Day 7) : Travel from Zermatt to Geneva

Fly home from Geneva @ 5.15pm.

as we are trying to make the trip more simple and easy, appreciate if you could add-on or comment if we have missed out something in the itinerary or it’s complex to cover all the places given the travelling time and journey.

Cheers

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2017 at 8:51:44 #869988

Me & my husband will be in a 7 day trip. We have bookings at Torgon . We wish to travel by glacier express & Bernina express as day tours but must reach Aigke by 6:00 pm to avoid staying at hotels. Celebrating our 25th anniversary. We have airline reservations from Paris to Geneva & back. Does the Bernina express operate only on Sat-Sun ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2017 at 10:06:32 #869989

Hi Sathia19,

Everything looks good here. Yes, there are storage lockers at Zurich train station for you.

Oct 10 – you say Mt. Titlis but on your previous sentence you mention you like that Mt. Rigi is free on the Swiss Travel Pass – note that Mt. Titlis is 50% off only.
    Oct 13 – I think you mean Gornergrat?
    Oct 14 – You can’t take a trip to the Matterhorn itself. You can visit Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise though.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2017 at 10:07:31 #869990

Hi Chitnisssc and welcome to MySwissAlps!

This thread is for Sathia19, can you please start a new thread with your questions here?

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2017 at 7:57:31 #869991

Hi Lucas

Thanks for the input. We opt for a Lake Lucerne cruise on the first day instead of Mt Rigi as i might be taxing for us. We decided to visit Mt. Titlis on the second day, so we will have 1 whole day for the trip.

On the 13th, we plan to visit Gorner Gorge. I understand it’s a place where there is a The wooden walkways leading between the towering cliffs. Not sure i’m getting the name right here.

You are right, we intend to visit Klien Matterhorn. A train ride from Zermatt and cable car up to Klien Matterhorn right? Is there any discounted rate for a Swiss pass?

Also, can you also please advise how am i entitled for the discounted rate for the Mt. Titlis if I would to book it online? Is it better to buy the ticket when I’m there?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2017 at 8:20:13 #869992

Yes, you are correct on the Gorner Gorge in Zermatt – a lesser known attraction that looks quite interesting!

You just take cable cars (several) from Zermatt to Klein Matterhorn – the trip is described on my previous post about Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise (click on the route tab).

You can buy a ticket to Mt. Titlis online here and it will allow to you buy the ticket with the 50% Swiss Travel Pass/Swiss Half Fare Card discount.

Lucas

• The thread ‘7 day holiday to Switzerland – best rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.