7 days in early April itinerary help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2017 at 15:32:01 #811046

We plan to take the 8 days Swiss Travel Pass for 2 adults and family card for child.

Day 1 – Arrive in Basel at 10 PM. Stay in Basel for that night

Day 2 – Take a morning train (around 9 or 10 AM) to Interlaken. Spend time locally in Interlaken and try to cover Lake Brienz and may be Bern (if we have time) . Is there anything else that we can do locally or nearby?

Day 3 – Visit Jungfraujoch / Wengen / Grindelwald and then on return visit Bern (would we be ok for Bern previous day or can we do it this day)– Is this doable on a single day?? Whats the cheapest way to cover Jungfraujoch

Day 4 – Glacier Express. Take a train from interlaken west to Brig . From Brig, board Glacier Express and get down at Chur and return to Interlaken. I believe this is doable. Would weather play a role here?? Also hope the swiss rail pass would be valid in this train?? Do I need to reserve the seats and if so then how early should I do it, can I do it in Interlaken, as I might be looking at swapping this for a early day if weather for Jungfrau is not good on that day.

Day 5 – Visit Murren / Schilthorn Take a evening train (around 5 PM) to Lucrene. Night stay at Lucerene. I believe that we can go on Swiss Travel Pass till Murren and then we need to take the cable car?

Day 6 – Mt. Pilatus /Rigi / Local Lucerene.

· Would I have to spend anything on tickets or am I covered with my Swiss Travel Pass.

Day 7 – Mt. Titlis. Should we do all 3 of these, I mean Pilatus, Rigi and Titlis Is there anything else that we can do on this day than the mountain, as we would have covered many mountains by now. Take a evening train (around 5 PM) to Zurich. Night in Zurich

Day 8 – Local Zurich and Rhine Falls and lake and evening return to Basel to catch the flight.

· Is this plan ok or are we planning to cover too much??

· Is there any thing else that we can cover locally while in Interlaken and Lucerene (other than what we have planned)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2017 at 17:51:10 #859990

Hi Jsmithra and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’ll make a few comments where I can…

Day 2: Perhaps Bern and Lake Brienz on this day – for other activities around Interlaken click here. You can spend the day in the Interlaken area without needing to go to Bern unless there is something specific you want to see there.

Day 3: This is doable except I would do Bern from Interlaken on day 2. The Swiss Travel Pass gets you 25% of the trip from Grindelwald or Wengen to Jungfraujoch.

Day 4: This looks good, but keep in mind the train schedule for the Glacier Express (4.5 hour trip) and leaves 1 to 3 times per day depending on the season.

Day 5: The Swiss Travel Pass covers your trip until Murren and then you must buy an extra ticket for the cable car to Schilthorn (at 50% off with the STP).

Day 6: You can find all attractions and routes that are covered by the STP and what offer discounts only here.

Day 7: Here is a page on other activities that might interest you in the Luzern area.

You itinerary looks pretty sound to me! You may not need to (or want) to visit all those mountains in Luzern – perhaps a day off of traveling and exploring Luzern (local German spelling) would work as well.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2017 at 14:13:25 #859991

Hi Lucas

Thanks for the reply…. 🙂

So, as per you I can drop the plan to go to Bern at all ?

Also are there any discounts on the Swiss Rail pass that are currently ongoing?

Regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2017 at 17:00:13 #859992

Hi Jsmithra,

If you want to do Bern I would just suggest fitting it into day 2 rather than 3. It can be dropped if you decide you don’t want to visit it – have you read through our information page on Bern that I linked to on my post?

There are no current discount on the Swiss Travel Pass; if there are any in the future they will be listed here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 12:55:42 #859993

Thanks Lucas

How early should we reserve the seats for Glacier Express.

Since I have 3 days in Interlaken and I want to keep the sunny day for Jungfrau, so was wondering that if I can book Glacier Express just a day in advance and would I get the reservation?

Also we have a 5 year old child with us, so do we need to reserve a seat for him also in Glacier Express? Whats the cost for the reservation and can I do it online or at any station in Switzerland

Regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 16:08:45 #859994

Hi Jsmithra,

The Glacier Express can get very busy and since reservations are mandatory I would recommend making reservations, as soon as possible. I would not count on any seats being available the day before departure unfortunately. If you want a seat for your child then yes you will need to reserve a seat for them.

You can also make reservations at any manned train station SBB office.

Best regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 19:50:50 #859995

Thanks Lucas,

For my child, I hope that I would not be paying full price for reservation (he is less than 5 year old)

So from Interlaken, to do the Glacier Express we will have to take the train from Brig (departing 10:18 )to Chur (arriving 14:35)and then return to Interlaken from Chur?

The cost is coming to CHF 39 for all of us (with Swiss Travel Pass) at

shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en

Apologies for bothering you with so many queries

Regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2017 at 6:37:43 #859996

Hi Jsmithra,

Yes, from Interlaken the best route for you is to train to Brig and board the Glacier Express to Chur and then return to Interlaken by another train. Those are indeed the correct times for the Glacier Express from Brig.

From Interlaken to Brig you will change trains in Spiez – the entire trip is a little over 1 hour – I would try to arrive in Brig by 10:00 roughly. All trains schedules can be found by searching here.

Best regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2017 at 13:25:09 #859997

Thanks Lucas 🙂

• The thread ‘7 days in early April itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.