7 days in Switzerland – what pass to get?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2016 at 6:04:28 #810405

Good day to all! My husband and I will be travelling to Europe in May 2017 and am very confused with the different kinds of switzerland passes available. Would really appreciate some pointers on this.

Itinerary as follows:

arriving from Paris and will stay at Murren for 3 nights (will be exploring the Junfrau region during the stay, including going up to the Jungfraujoch)

Thereafter we will stay at Lucerne for 2 nights before ending the trip at zurich for 1 night, and flying home in the next morning.

we will only be in Paris so I assume we do not need any multi country pass but to focus on Switzerland? Many thanks again for your kind guidance. 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 December 2016 at 7:51:28 #857286

Hello Cplt22, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Indeed I would not suggest a pass for France too. Just get a ticket from Paris to Basel and use a pass for Switzerland from there. I suggest to check the below pages. Feel free to ask if any questions remain.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2016 at 9:25:45 #857287

Thanks for the details! Would you reccomend us to take the half fare pass then based on our itinerary as the 8 days full pass is quite expensive.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 December 2016 at 16:40:04 #857288

You are most welcome! Unfortunately I can’t tell you which pass suits you best, as that depends on (all details of) your itinerary. Indeed the Swiss Travel Pass is more expensive, but it also includes much more, like many museums, Rigi and Pilatus near Lucerne, and Schynige Platte near Murren (although that route may not be open yer once you’re there). Plus, all regular trains, buses and boats are included, and the cable cars to Mürren as well. The Swiss Travel Pass is also more comfortable as you don’t have to buy tickets for each trip. The links gave you allow you to compare and even do the math if you like.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2016 at 1:54:39 #857289

Thanks so much. Just to confirm, the train from lucerne to zurich is also covered right? How about trains within Zurich? (From airport to city).

For trains that require seat reservation, how do we do it if we buy the Travel Pass?

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 December 2016 at 11:57:41 #857290

Hi Cplt22,

Yes, all those routes are covered. For details you can download the coverage map from the pass pages I gave you in my first post.

You do not need reservations. Except for the train from Paris, but those tickets include reservations.

• The thread ‘7 days in Switzerland – what pass to get?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.