7 days trip help for Switzerland in April 2018

• SIVA
    Participant
    41 posts
    7 November 2017 at 15:50:31 #813629

Hi Everyone!!

I’m planning to visit swiss first time for 7 days with my family ( wife and 20 months old infant). I have prepared an itinerary and i would be thankful if you can suggest or modify it based on your experience.

Day 1 I would be flying from dubai to zurich and reach luzern

Day 2. Mt titlis and overnight stay

Day 3. Golden pass train to interlaken

Day 4. Mt jungfrau and overnight in interlaken

Day 5.Grindelwald and overnight stay

Day 6. I need your suggestions. Prefarably mountain landscapes

Day 7 to zurich for departure

After going through internet people are not suggesting/ preferring interlaken Stay. Wengen wouldbe an option for day 6. Pls suggest. All suggestionsare welcome. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!!.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 November 2017 at 18:49:17 #871650

Hi tsrkrishnan and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, I would suggest Wengen over Interlaken as well. I also wouldn’t move between Grindelwald and Wengen or another nearby village like Murren or Lauterbrunnen (all are great). Pick one for all 4 nights and use it to explore the Jungfrau region(lots to see and do there).

Otherwise you itinerary looks pretty good from here. Be sure to make back up plans for mountain trips like Jungfraujoch – weather can easily destroy any views you want so you should not waste your money (if you are in the area for 3 or 4 days you can wait and see if the weather improves).

Also check with your doctor about taking your infant above 2000 meters – Jungfraujoch is almost 3500 meters and the air is pretty thin (although at nearly two years old it may not be a problem – best to check!)

SIVA
    Participant
    41 posts
    7 November 2017 at 19:41:28 #871651

Hi Mr Lucas,

Thanks a lot for your immediate reply. I appreciate that.

I checked the villages suggested by you and all seems to be very closer to each other. After spending 2 days in luzern would you advice me to stay either in wengen or murren for the rest of 4 nights and explore jungfrau region… or i can spend 3 days in that region with one base and spend one more day in any scenic railway route. Kindly advise.

I appreciate your concern for my kid. Since I’m a doctor, that too Pediatrician i need not worry much, I believe.

Thanks again.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 November 2017 at 2:30:07 #871652

Hi tsrkrishnan-

This may be useful:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim/page/3

Also –

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

I note that you are considering April. Time of the year is very important in the high Alpine regions.

April is the tail end of Winter. I have been blocked by deep snow on trails at 2000 meters as late as early June.

Summer hiking season begins at around June 15th. As March moves into April, skiing has lost quality, thus fewer customers.

Although there are many restaurants and tourist services still open, many others have shut down for Spring break or maintenance.

Since there ia wide altitude range near the Jungfrau, plces at lower altitudes, such as Lauterbrunnen, may have lost much of their snow.

Thus, without being too precise, my own thoughts are that an April trip might preferably focus on lower altitude regions, with options for excursions to higher altitudes. Such rather general advice is not as useful as detailed advice, but it can be a basis for your own further planning and questions.

To be more specific, I might focus on Luzern and its nearby mountains, with optional trips to or time in the Jungfrau region.

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

This may be useful:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

Several of the links o tha page are are quite informative.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2017 at 6:59:03 #871653

What towns on the scenic railway route are you referring to? Somewhere in between Lucerne and Interlaken areas? I’m not a big fan of one night stays – I would maybe split your time 3 days in Lucerne and 3 days in Lauterbrunnen for example.

Lauterbrunnen may be a better option in April actually as Slowpoke notes, some villages will be very quiet as you are in between seasons and Lauterbrunnen is a little bigger and better connected to the railway system than Wengen or Mürren.

The day you move from one town to another could be done slowly and you can stop at a town like Thun or Bern to explore for example (store your luggage at the Interlaken Ost railway lockers and then return for the trip to Lucerne from Interlaken). Just a thought. I’m not sure how much luggage you will have! In the end one night in either town will work too!

SIVA
    Participant
    41 posts
    8 November 2017 at 14:30:32 #871654

HI THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY MR SLOWPOKE. YOUR LINKS WERE REALLY USEFUL

SIVA
    Participant
    41 posts
    8 November 2017 at 14:38:19 #871655

Hi Mr Lucas, thanks again. I have decided to stay at luzern and lauterbrunnen for 3 nights each.

Is it worth taking a train from luzern to lungern and back.

Or can i take a trip in glacier express. Is it possible to do it in a single day from luzern and to be back.. out of 3 days in luzern one day would be for titlis if weather permits

Kindly advice.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 November 2017 at 15:41:10 #871656

Hi tsrkrishnan-

<<“Hi Mr Lucas, thanks again. I have decided to stay at luzern and lauterbrunnen for 3 nights each.

Is it worth taking a train from luzern to lungern and back.”>>

I can see from the thread that no 0ne linked you to two essential sites for trip planning:

First- a map-

map.search.ch/?z=4

This map will let you see the geographic relationships between cities. I have zoomed it in a bit so that you can see Luzerne and Interlaken. Zoom in a few steps further and you will see Lauterbrunnen south of Interlaken.. Zoom in one or two more and you will see the train lines.

At that zoom level, pan the map, or else zoom out and focus on the region between Luzern and Interlaken, near Giswil, then pan in again. You will see the rail lines and Lungern if you go in far enough.

Since you plan to stay in Lauterbrunnen and Luzern, you will likely take the most scenic, and, unusually, in this case, the fastest route between the two. You can see that it will pass through Lungern. The trains run once per hour. If you don’t have luggage with you to burden you, you could get off, walk down the hill to the lake and back up again, and probably be able to catch the next train.

I checked the SBB web site for Lungern station, and sought “Equipment and Services” at the station. The listing is empty. That means, I believe, that it is an unmanned station, which is consistent with my somewhat older memory. That means that you cannot leave luggage there while you walk. It is a bit of a walk down and back, and although pleasant, does not justify the stop in my o[pinion. The best views of the lake with the Alps beyond come from the northern end, which is about 2 km from the station. It would take you more than an hour to do the round trip on foot, unless you are very fast walkers, uphill and down.

The train goes right past that viewpoint, so sit on the right if you are coming from Luzern.

Ralroad station “Kaiserstuhl” is visible if you zoom in at the northern end of the lake. You can aaslo see thatthere is an inn/restaurant. Mouse over the station icon, and you get an abbreviated near term train schedule.

How can you find out how long it would take to get there, and when and whether the trains stop at Kaiserstuhl?

Check the timetable, which is the other essential web site for planning:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Enter Luzern as a Start, Interlaken as destination, and your time and date. If your date next year is not yet available, use any date this year, and you will see a journey once per hour. Click on a journey, and then expand the section of the route that is displayed by clicking on the “+”

You will see Kaiserstuhl is a regular stop, approximately 40 minutes from Luzern.

If you check a date in the near future, you will see that one other section of the route has no trains. Track work. A bus will be substituted for that section.

Or, if you do not wish to see the whole route to get perspective, use “Lungern” or “Kaiserstuhl” as a destination in the timetable.

Glacier Express –

Regarding the Glacier Express, check this link in detail, including the description of the route(s) and some “one-day trips” listed.

http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress

then check it out on the map I linked above ( Mapsearch.ch) and the timetable. It would not be easy to fit the entire Glacier Express in one day from Luzern. You could travel a nice part of it from Luzern to Brig to Interlaken on a roundabout route on your transit day. Go via Andermatt and Brig, and, if you have time use the old scenic upper route from Brig to Interlaken via Kanderstseg.

Slowpoke

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    8 November 2017 at 22:27:53 #871657

A bit on Lungern. In April, the lake will likely be near empty at the southern half. The water is used in winter for electric power generation and is not allowed to fill to full until June. The waterfall likely will be nearly near flowing due to melt. Lungern is a pretty spot at other times in the year.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 November 2017 at 23:30:17 #871658

Hi fredch –

Thanks for detailed information from a local.

Slowpoke

SIVA
    Participant
    41 posts
    9 November 2017 at 5:36:36 #871659

Thanks a lot slowpoke. I really appreciate the valuable details given by you. Thank you so much!!

SIVA
    Participant
    41 posts
    9 November 2017 at 5:37:41 #871660

Thanks a lot fredch foe your useful information. This forum is simply amazing!!.

• The thread ‘7 days trip help for Switzerland in April 2018’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.