Itinerary help – 7 days in April in Switzerland

• SIVA
    Participant
    41 posts
    29 November 2017 at 6:17:13 #813746

Hi Everyone,

Previously i started a thread with the same title. Thanks a lot for all your valuable inputs and now i have finalised my itinerary.

Travel dates 13th april to 19th with 2 bases. Luzern and lauterbrunnen.

I would be travelling with my wife and 20 months old infant.

Day 1 arrival at zurich, take train to luzern and check in to hotel by 2. Later exploring luzern in the evening.

Day 2 mt titlis if weather permits.

If not some lake trip..need your tips in this

Day 3. Back up for titlis/ pilatus.

Day 4 to interlaken golden pass route n then to lauterbrunnen rest of the day in leisure at lauterbrunnen ( trummelbach falls n local sight seeing)

Day 5. Mt jungfrau if weather permits if not gimmelwald murren wengen.

Day 6 back up day for jungfrau.

Day 7. Grindelwald first cliff walk ( since my flight is at late night i hope i can take this) later in the afternoon check out n depart to zurich

Any suggestions/ advice/ changes in this plan,most welcome.

If i want to add one or two more days which is very much tempting… any suggestions..near by places…kinldy advice…and also titlis pilatus n jungfrau..too much peaks???

I sincerely thank everyone who helped me in my previous thread.

Cheers!!

Siva.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

SIVA
    Participant
    41 posts
    29 November 2017 at 6:27:30 #872404

And also pls advice me whether any toboggan would be operational during at that in any of these areas. Am pretty much interested in taking it.

Thanks!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 7:05:07 #872405

Hi Siva,

You itinerary looks like a good one! Good idea for the backup days for weather issues.
    I’m not sure if you are visiting too many mountains (everyone is different). I think two mountain visits are pretty normal for most tourists. Jungfraujoch and at least one other usually. Schilthorn is close by and will be free on the Swiss Travel Pass for 2018.

If you were to add days to your vacation there are a lot of options. Many people would probably stay in the Lauterbrunnen area longer as there is so much to do and see in the Jungfrau region.

Another option would be to visit Zermatt to see the Matterhorn. If you are not interested in more mountains I might look at Montreux on Lake Geneva. You can continue the Golden Pass panoramic route from Interlaken to Montreux.

Hard to say about toboggan options for you – they are weather dependent so it will depend what it is like when you are there. Jungfraujoch and Mt. Titlis do offer these activities.

SIVA
    Participant
    41 posts
    29 November 2017 at 7:38:49 #872406

Hi Lucas, thanks a lot. I thought matterhorn altitude may not be suitable for my kid. Thats why i didnt consider it.

Is gstaad good option? Or taking glacier express from andermatt to chur would be worth if i plan to extend my holidays. I dont know when i will plan my next trip to swiss. So thought about glacier express. In that case can i complete this part of glacier express route by staying in lauterbrunnen.?? Kindly advice

If this doesn’t seem to be ok then i will go to montreux as u suggested for extra couple of days.

Thanks once again!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 7:48:42 #872407

The Gornergrat (you can’t actually visit the Matterhorn itself) mountain is a little lower in altitude than Jungfraujoch and offers good views of the Matterhorn. All mountains are over 3000 meters so you should be careful with an infant (any time over 2000 meters).

Gstaad is a ski resort town (somewhat similar to Zermatt) but I haven’t been there for longer than 5 minutes! You can access the Glacier 3000 (https://www.glacier300 0.ch/en) though which looks quite nice!

It is quite awkward to try the Glacier Express route from Lauterbrunnen but possible. You could travel to Brig or Andermatt to board the train to Chur. From Chur it is a fair distance back to Lauterbrunnen but it could work well if you are then heading to Zurich to fly home. Another option would be to go to Zermatt for a night or two and then the full Glacier Express route to Chur and then back to Zurich for your flight.

Use the timetable here to plan the trips and make sure you can connect on a Glacier Express train (they only run once or twice a day).

SIVA
    Participant
    41 posts
    29 November 2017 at 8:17:36 #872408

Thanks a lot Lucas!!

I will check into it and finalise my extra 2 days.

Thanks again!!

Siva

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2017 at 11:12:24 #872409

Hi Siva,

My mother and I are planning for a week in Lucerne/Bernese Oberland, and the itinerary is strikingly similar to yours. We will however go in June 2018 as the weather will be warmer and cogwheel rails will run. We plan to stay 3 nights in Lucerne and 4 nights in BO. Have you thought of staying in Murren / Wengen instead of Lauterbrunnen? The views are better from up the car-free villages, I heard.

Our itinerary is not final yet though. We might cut short a night in BO and move over to Vevey, and fly out from Geneva the next day. That way we can experience the Interlaken-Montreux Golden Pass line as well as Lake Geneva. However this could be too many places in a week, so we might drop Vevey and stick to the original itinerary.

In Lucerne, have you considered the Mt. Rigi round trip?

Planning a trip is so much fun! Happy planning!

Ritu

SIVA
    Participant
    41 posts
    1 December 2017 at 12:35:27 #872410

Hi Ritu,

I selected lauterbrunnen because i have been told in this forum that it is well connected in means of transport than those beautiful villages. Moreover i would be travelling in low season. I have still not finalised lauterbrunnen. Exploring accomodation options in murren n wengen.

Regarding mountain trips, I would be taking Titlis n Jungfrau for sure if weather permits. Planning to take either Mt.Rigi/” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”> Mt. Rigi/Pilatus while staying at lucerne and Schilthorn during my BO stay. Am worried whether it would be too much peaks with my infant.

I thought about montreux by cutting down 1 day each from luzern / BO but decided against it since i wanted to explore more of BO region though it’s not a very good part of the year in this region. Hoping for bright and sunny weather!!

Planning a trip is fun and exciting, and this forum is amazing!! Thanks once again for all!!

Best wishes for your trip!!

Siva😊

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2017 at 18:29:02 #872411

We are finding the Murren hotels very expensive. We may have to look in Lauterbrunnen. It has campsites too. Let me know if you come across any budget accommodation in Murren / Wengen.

Pl. read the reviews of Pilatus in TripAdvisor, esp. the 1&2-star ones. People have complained about sudden clouds that come without warning blocking the view, and the apparently not-so-professional behaviour of the cogwheel railway authorities.

We plan to do Rigi and Schilthorn, for sure. Some experts say the experience in Pilatus / Titlis fades when compared to Schilthorn/ Jungfraujoch.

Have you checked the Swiss Pass offers? They are giving 2 extra days in the 8-day pass, and 1 extra day in the 4-day pass. May be worth planning your trip around such offers.

Best wishes,

Ritu

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 December 2017 at 18:36:43 #872412

Hi Ritu,

I don’t know your budget, but did you check the prices of the hotels listed on http://www.myswissalps.com/mu rren/hotels for your travel dates? The Eiger Guesthouse is usually not that expensive. Hopefully that’s an option for you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2017 at 18:58:17 #872413

Hi Arno,

I did not check every hotel as there was no option to get prices on a single page. I will check.

Can I get a room for 2 persons for under 100 Francs in Murren/Wengen?

Ritu

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 December 2017 at 19:17:59 #872414

Hi Ritu,

You can get accommodation for less than CHF 100, but it will mostly be hostels in that price range. So dormitories or at best a private room with a shared bathroom. I don’t know any in Mürren, but here are some cheaper options in nearby villages:

• The thread ‘Itinerary help – 7 days in April in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.