7 nights in Zurich, need help with itinerary

• Rebgetsit
    Participant
    4 posts
    21 May 2022 at 13:39:55 #827249

Hi. This is my first visit to Switzerland. My husband and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary. 🙂 Anyway, we only planned the trip a month ago and while I’ve been investigating where to go and what to do, I’m getting anxiety as we will arrive next week and my itinerary seems a mess.

I booked a 7 night stay in Zurich, before realizing last week that I probably should have broken our stay up between regions. Anyway, need to make the most of it now and with proper planning I feel we will be able to see lots of beautiful swiss treasures, albeit spending oodles of time on trains.

We will have the swiss travel pass.

We’d like to see: Lucerne, Grindelwald, Geneva, Interlaken, and Bern if time allows. We also want to do the Golden Round Trip and the Glacier Express. Would love to throw in Jungfrau if time allows. I’d really like to maximize viewing of alps, waterfalls, and lakes.

Does anyone have an available itinerary that they’d be willing to share that might work with our wish list? Thank you so very much for any assistance provided. I’ve never been on a forum before, so I hope I’ve not broken any etiquette rules. Thanks again.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    21 May 2022 at 17:01:13 #942131

Hi rebsgetit,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

No worries, there’s still enough time to plan your itinerary. with Zurich as your base, it’s possible to do a variation of day trips to suit your interests. My recommendations are listed below. Feel free to change and add as neede.

For more ideas, you can find some sample itineraries here: http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/doityourself/sampleitineraries

Be sure to use the SBB timetable to check train schedules and plan your journeys.

It’s good that you will be travelling with the Swiss Travel Pass. This gives you the flexibility and convenience to change your itinerary based on needs and the weather.

Hope this gets you started.

Regards,

Anna

Rebgetsit
    Participant
    4 posts
    22 May 2022 at 9:36:36 #942132

Hi Anna! Thank you so very much for the time you spent with your reply to my request for itinerary assistance. It was very thorough and very much appreciated. I do have a couple of questions if you have the time:

1.) The number one item on my bucket list is a train ride through the swiss alps, so I really want to take the best one that will fit within my Zurich base and 7 day time frame. I’d had Glacier Express (sections 2 &3 brig to chur on my itinerary), do you think that trip is THE ONE or would the Golden Round Trip be better or do you have a different recommendation?

2.) We’d really love to visit First in Grindlewald to enjoy the First activities. How could we plan this excursion to fit with a cruise on Lake Brienz or am I trying to get too much into one day?

Again, thank you so much for your excellent assistance. 🙂

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 May 2022 at 11:42:06 #942133

Hi Rebgetsit,

1) If you follow Anna’s advice for day 5, you can travel to Montreux via Lucerne, Interlaken and Zweisimmen. That’s the scenic GoldenPass route: https://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass. (By the way: the Golden Round Trip isn’t really a train trip, but a round trip using several modes of transportation to and from Pilatus: https://www.myswissalps.com/pilatus.)

As for the Glacier Express: you could make a day trip from Zurich as described under “Don’t have time to do the full route?” at http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress. If the Glacier Express is high on your list (and it’s surely a beautiful ride), you’ll have to drop one of your other plans. Rest assured that you won’t miss out on the beauty of Switzerland if you take Anna’s suggestion, as that itinerary is packed with scenic trips. But those are very personal choices. Tough to make decisions, isn’t it ;-)?

2) You can travel from Zurich to Grindelwald and replace the train leg from Brienz to Interlaken (or the other way around on your way back) by a boat ride: https://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakebrienz. Then enjoy the activities at First: https://www.myswissalps.com/grindelwaldfirst. It will be a long day, but doable if you leave early.

Rebgetsit
    Participant
    4 posts
    23 May 2022 at 9:38:23 #942134

Hi Arno and thank you for your assistance and helpful information. Your’s and Anna’s advice are most valuable! I think I’ve narrowed the trip itinerary to the following:

Day 1: Arrive Zurich 3pm, will try for a lake cruise, Lindt tour and dinner or a whichever we can squeeze in the afternoon/evening.

Day 2: From Zurich Golden Round Trip Lucerne to Mt. Pilatus

Day 3: From Zurich day trip to Lugano

Day 4: From Zurich day trip to Jungfrau and First (unsure if we will squeeze Brienz boat trip in yet)

Day 5: From Zurich day trip aboard Glacier Express

Day 6: From Zurich day trip to Montreaux & Geneva

Day 7: From Zurich day trip to Bern and/or explore Zurich

Day 8: Depart for USA

Does this sound doable or is it to overloaded and exhausting? Any other tips or recommendations?

Thank you again for your much appreciated and valuable insights. 🙂

Anna
    6382 posts
    23 May 2022 at 17:08:20 #942135

Hi Rebgetsit,

Your current itinerary looks great! Day 5 would be a long day but certainly doable,

Regards,

Anna

Rebgetsit
    Participant
    4 posts
    24 May 2022 at 10:11:47 #942136

Thank you Anna! I think we’ll be doing half the glacier express tour, sections 2 and 3 I think…Brig to Chur if I’m not mistaken. Thank you again for your assistance! 🙂

Anna
    6382 posts
    24 May 2022 at 14:10:29 #942137

Happy to help. Enjoy your trip!

Anna

• The thread ‘7 nights in Zurich, need help with itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.