7 nights itinerary for September – thoughts?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 January 2017 at 19:04:26 #810650

Hi Guys!

I plan to visit switzerland in September for 7 nights. My itinerary is as below, would love to know your feedback. My wife and i would like to enjoy the snow and the scenic views. We plan to purchase the Swiss Pass for 8 days.

Day 1 – Arrive in Zurich at noon. Check out the lake and some good restaurants. Overnight at Zurich

Day 2 – Early morning checkout and head to Chur by train. Connect to the Glacier Express and head to Zermatt. Overnight at Zermatt

Day 3 – Travel to Matterhorn and experience the snow. Im planning to find a trail and hike today. Late evening head to Interlaken. Overnight at Interlaken.

Day 4 – Visit the Jungfraujoch region today and spend the day in Interlaken. Overnight at Interlaken.

Day 5 – Travel to Montreaux in the morning via the golden pass line. Overnight at Montreaux.

Day 6 – Day trip visiting a few cheese / chocolate factories and vineyards. Recommendations please. Overnight at Montreaux

Day 7 – Early morning check out of the hotel and travel to Lucerne by the golden pass line. Spend the day in Lucerne. Recommendations of things to do please. Overnight at Lucerne

Day 8 – Really early morning checkout of my hotel and head to Zurich airport for my flight back home.

I look forward to your feedback and suggestions!

Cheers!

Vishesh

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2017 at 8:33:14 #858386

Hi Vishesh and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It looks like a great itinerary – not too much crammed into one day! I think you are getting a great taste of Switzerland on this itinerary.

September is a great time to visit Switzerland and check out some of the higher peaks like Jungfraujoch. However keep a eye on the weather when you are looking to go hiking as it can change quickly.

Here are some links with information on what to do in the areas and where to stay if you haven’t decided yet! There are tabs for what to do and where to stay that could be helpful.

Zurich
    Luzern (local German spelling)
    Glacier Express train
    Zermatt
    Jungfrau region
    Montreux (under the what to do tab you will find recommendations for wine, cheese and chocolate related activities. I haven’t don’t them myself yet so I can’t make a specific recommendation.
    Golden Pass train
    Interlaken

Here is also a link on hiking information that may help you plan a hike or two along your trip if you are interested.

I hope this is helpful let me know if you have further questions!

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2017 at 9:09:26 #858387

Hi Lucas

Thank you for your reply. Do you recommend any day trips which I can do. I plan to include the Chillon castle when I’m at Montreux. Do you recommend I cut short a day in Montreux and stay an extra night at Lucerne.

Cheers.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2017 at 16:07:27 #858388

Hi visheshs,

I think some of the popular options in the Montreux area are a visit to Gruyères and or the Lavaux Vineyards. Chillon castle is also quite nice. I think 1 night in Montreux is a good idea, maybe late return to Lucerne instead of the 2nd night? It depends on what all you decide to do there. 🙂

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2017 at 10:10:08 #858389

Hello

After some research, I plan to ditch the Interlaken portion of my itinerary. I plan to go straight to Montreux from Zermatt and spend 2 nights and then from Montreux to Lucerne via the Golden pass line.

In Lucerne since in not going to jungfrau, I plan to do Mt titlis and then also the rigi railways line. Lucerne seems Beautiful and I don’t want to miss it. My previous itinerary I hardly had time in Lucerne. What are your thoughts.

Annika
    7124 posts
    26 January 2017 at 14:16:01 #858390

Hi vishesh,

That’s perfectly fine of course. If these are the regions you’re most interested in, it’s good to adapt your itinerary accordingly. Note that if you’ll be using a Swiss Travel Pass, Rigi and Pilatus near Lucerne are for free, whereas Titlis is discounted. This may affect your choice for the mountains you’d like to visit.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2017 at 14:24:43 #858391

Thank you for your reply.

Do you recommend any day trips from Lucerne via rail.

Annika
    7124 posts
    26 January 2017 at 14:39:33 #858392

Hi visheshs,

Lucas provided a link about Lucerne in his first answer. You can find our tips for the city and its surroundings there.

• The thread ‘7 nights itinerary for September – thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.