Lucerne to Zurich airport for morning flight?

• MarkB
    Participant
    8 posts
    24 January 2018 at 15:34:07 #814134

The 8-Day Grand Train Tour starts in Zurich but ends in Lucerne leaving my wife and I to figure out how to get back to Zurich to fly back to Philadelphia. Our flight is late morning and I’m not sure the timing would work for us to go from Lucerne to the Zurich airport for a same day flight. Should we travel by train from Lucerne to Zurich in one day, spend the night in Zurich, and travel to the airport the next morning?

Thanks. Mark

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2018 at 16:59:36 #875047

Hi Mark and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The train trip from Lucerne to Zurich airport is just a touch over 1 hour (and there are many direct trains). So it won’t be a problem to get there from Lucerne on your last day.

The first train from Lucerne arrives at Zurich airport around 06:15.
    Use the timetable for Swiss railways to plan out your trip (and any others).

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 January 2018 at 17:48:32 #875048

Hi Mark,

I guess you found the tour at http://www.viator.com/tours/Z urich/8-Day-Grand-Train-Tour-of-Switzerland-from-Zurich/d577-14343P68 through one of our pages, right? That is a wonderful trip and something to look forward to!

I am 99% sure that a ticket for your return trip from Lucerne will be included. It’s not described like that at the Viator page though (I’ll let them know). Most of these packages include a ticket for the last day that allow you to travel to any border station or airport, so not necessarily Zurich. But it can be Zurich if that’s where you wish to return to. By the time you’ve reached Lucerne you will have no problem navigating the Swiss train stations and finding a train to Zurich!

Regarding the question that you e-mailed: it is hard to say which hotels will be included in the 3, 4 and 5-star packages. The reason for that is that tour operators mostly book rooms in multiple hotels to be used for multiple of their travel packages. Which hotel you will be assigned to depends on your travel dates and occupancy. It won’t be hotels that are hard to reach, so no worries about that. I found the below hotels in older documentation, but please just use that list as an example, as I can’t guarantee any hotels either. Indeed it would be best if all possible hotels options were listed, I’ll let Viator know about that too.

MarkB
    Participant
    8 posts
    24 January 2018 at 19:53:31 #875049

Arno,

Thanks so much for your help with this. I really appreciate you contacting Viator for us.

You’re correct, we were redirected to Viator from a page on your website (which by the way is great!). Thanks for the hotel information as well.

MarkB
    Participant
    8 posts
    24 January 2018 at 19:58:44 #875050

Lucas,

Thanks for your reply.

I’ll take a close look at the train schedule and decide.

It might be nice to spend a day in Zurich before flying out. We’ll see.

Mark

stodgytj
    Participant
    52 posts
    25 January 2018 at 18:48:32 #875051

Lucas is quite correct about connecting to Zurich Airport. We stay in Interlaken and have no trouble getting to Zurich Airport for a late morning or early afternoon flight including time to check in and go thru passport control.

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Zurich airport for morning flight?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.