Lucerne to Zurich airport for morning flight?

Lucerne to Zurich airport for morning flight?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
MarkB
MarkB
8 posts
Jan 24, 2018 - 3:34 PM

The 8-Day Grand Train Tour starts in Zurich but ends in Lucerne leaving my wife and I to figure out how to get back to Zurich to fly back to Philadelphia. Our flight is late morning and I'm not sure the timing would work for us to go from Lucerne to the Zurich airport for a same day flight. Should we travel by train from Lucerne to Zurich in one day, spend the night in Zurich, and travel to the airport the next morning?

Thanks. Mark

Lucas
Lucas
7194 posts
expert &
Jan 24, 2018 - 4:59 PM in reply to MarkB

Hi Mark and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The train trip from Lucerne to Zurich airport is just a touch over 1 hour (and there are many direct trains). So it won't be a problem to get there from Lucerne on your last day.

The first train from Lucerne arrives at Zurich airport around 06:15.
Use the timetable for Swiss railways to plan out your trip (and any others).

Arno
Arno
10751 posts
expert &
Jan 24, 2018 - 5:48 PM

Hi Mark,

I guess you found the tour at www.viator.com/tours/Z urich/8-Day-Grand-Train-Tour-of-Switzerland-from-Zurich/d577-14343P68 through one of our pages, right? That is a wonderful trip and something to look forward to!

I am 99% sure that a ticket for your return trip from Lucerne will be included. It's not described like that at the Viator page though (I'll let them know). Most of these packages include a ticket for the last day that allow you to travel to any border station or airport, so not necessarily Zurich. But it can be Zurich if that's where you wish to return to. By the time you've reached Lucerne you will have no problem navigating the Swiss train stations and finding a train to Zurich!

Regarding the question that you e-mailed: it is hard to say which hotels will be included in the 3, 4 and 5-star packages. The reason for that is that tour operators mostly book rooms in multiple hotels to be used for multiple of their travel packages. Which hotel you will be assigned to depends on your travel dates and occupancy. It won't be hotels that are hard to reach, so no worries about that. I found the below hotels in older documentation, but please just use that list as an example, as I can't guarantee any hotels either. Indeed it would be best if all possible hotels options were listed, I'll let Viator know about that too.

Last modified on Jan 24, 2018 - 5:55 PM by Arno
MarkB
MarkB
8 posts
Jan 24, 2018 - 7:53 PM in reply to Arno

Arno,

Thanks so much for your help with this. I really appreciate you contacting Viator for us.

You're correct, we were redirected to Viator from a page on your website (which by the way is great!). Thanks for the hotel information as well.

MarkB
MarkB
8 posts
Jan 24, 2018 - 7:58 PM in reply to Lucas

Lucas,

Thanks for your reply.

I'll take a close look at the train schedule and decide.

It might be nice to spend a day in Zurich before flying out. We'll see.

Mark

stodgytj
stodgytj
29 posts
Jan 25, 2018 - 6:48 PM

Lucas is quite correct about connecting to Zurich Airport. We stay in Interlaken and have no trouble getting to Zurich Airport for a late morning or early afternoon flight including time to check in and go thru passport control.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018