8 day honeymoon July Lucerne, Interlaken & Zermatt

• Nehapadhi
    Participant
    15 posts
    31 March 2019 at 18:39:27 #820703

We would like to travel to Switzerland for our honeymoon in the last week of July this year, can someone help to chalk out a suitable itinerary,we will be flying to and from Zurich for India.
    Would like to include Lucerne, Interlaken and Zermatt in our plan.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2019 at 6:56:20 #908038

Hello Nehapadhi and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Nice to hear you’ll spend some of your honeymoon in Switzerland.

Will you be staying a week, so 7 days?!

Use these links for an overall approach to planning you stay in Switzerland:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ge ttingstarted
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland

The places you mention are very well connected by trains and offer a wide variety of activities in their surroundings. By typing them into the search bar of this page you will find lots of helpful information about them, including “what to do”, “hotels”, etc.

I think Lucerne and Interlaken could be nice base-cities for exploring, but it does depend a little on your plans and ideas.

To find out about travelling times between destinations use our timetable link, a very helpful tool for planning.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Switzerland is small, especially compared to India, as an example, Zurich to Lucerne is less than an hour, so easily do-able upon arrival.

Happy planning and get back to us for further input.

Best,
    Steph

Nehapadhi
    Participant
    15 posts
    1 April 2019 at 7:18:30 #908039

Thank you so much for the reply,can I include the cheese and chocolate express to this itinerary?
    This is our 1st international trip so really have no clue how to go about things,any help will be very much appreciated!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2019 at 7:38:13 #908040

Hi Nehapadhi,

You are welcome!

I assume you are referring to the trains available in the South-West of Switzerland, am I correct?

Go here for details:
    http://www.goldenpass.ch/de
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/culinarytours
    The Mountains, Cheese and Chocolate Tour could be a nice option too (starting Zurich area and covering North-East mountain region, Appenzell)

The good thing about Switzerland is that it is relatively small and has well connected transportation so you can cover quite a lot in not so much time AND enjoy some landscapes while travelling. Just use the timetable link above to see if you’re fine with any travelling times for your ideas.

Best,
    Steph

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 June 2019 at 6:36:02 #908041

This thread has been re-opened until there is no response for 14 days.

Nehapadhi
    Participant
    15 posts
    22 June 2019 at 20:22:34 #908042

Thanks for reopening this thread

So we will be flying into Zurich on 22nd July and flying out of Geneva on 29th July.

We will be staying for a couple of days each in Lucerne, Interlaken and Montreaux.

I wanted to know if we can somehow manage to include a trip of Zermatt to see the Matterhorn, or we could give it a miss.

Also in Lucerne which is a better option, Mt Titlis/ Mt Pilatus/Mt Rigi, and how much can we squeeze into two days

Any other local suggestions are welcome about food, places of interest, shopping et

Rels
    Participant
    139 posts
    23 June 2019 at 11:12:41 #908043

We went to all 3 mountains from Lucerne, Pilatus was in clouds however. Titlis had lots of snow, Rigi was gorgeous, so all are great options. We went up to Stanserhorn on a whim on the way back from Titlis – this was amazing too. Got off the train at Stans on the way back from Engelberg, an old cog wheel train takes you half way up, then a cable car that has an open top you can stand on takes you to the top. Views on the way are green hills, farmland and lakes, then once at the top a huge snowy mountains vista is seen the other side. Ended up being one of our favourites, in amongst many favourites – all Switzerland’s scenery is breathtaking!

From Montreux a lovely day trip is to Gruyeres, beautiful farmland, an old castle and medieval village, a cheese factory, and a Tibet museum containing amazing Buddhist statues, tangkas, and other treasures.

And what is a trip to Switzerland without seeing the Matterhorn!

Nehapadhi
    Participant
    15 posts
    23 June 2019 at 12:57:09 #908044

How did you make to all the peaks? How much time and energy did it take?

Rels
    Participant
    139 posts
    24 June 2019 at 0:52:36 #908045

From Lucerne we went to Titlis and Stanserhorn on one day, Pilatus and the town of Zug on the second day, and Rigi and a walk around Lucerne city on the third day. We usually didn’t get going til mid to late morning each day, but it is light until about 9pm so you can get lots done in a day.

We stayed in Zermatt for a few nights, so saw the Matterhorn from there.

The Swiss transport system is amazing and very efficient, trains run all the time, so timing is fine. As far as energy goes, we are from Australia so we were prepared to spend as much energy as it takes to see and experience all Switzerland has to offer as much as possible, that’s what travelling is all about – we can relax now that we’re home!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2019 at 4:19:55 #908046

How far have your progressed with your planning? if you let us know more details, it would evoke better response from the folks here that would help you in completing the left over part.

reading your posts, I fear that, for a trip coming up in a months time, you will need to put in more time for planning unless you have a travel planner doing that for you 🙂

Since you mention that you have already chosen the bases, please let us know how many days have you planned at each base and your arrival and departure time on those days.

To answer your question on Peaks., Switzerland is a traveler friendly country and caters to all ages.

Unless you are keen on hiking or playing the snow sports, I don’t think the peaks will really drain you of so much energy . There are cable cars, cog wheel trains etc which will take you up comfortably.

Being a honeymoon trip, I reckon you would be better of taking it slow and enjoy the beauty of the place and also spend quality time with your partner . Switzerland has lots and lots to offer and there is never enough time to see all. so I would suggest to not get into race and competition of ticking off marks for all places 🙂

Nehapadhi
    Participant
    15 posts
    25 June 2019 at 11:19:18 #908047

That is true, we are literally scrambling at the last minute.

But your advice is absolutely correct, we would like a more relaxed pace, so our trip basically looks like this:

22nd July 06:45 flight lands in Zurich

22nd July 14:00 Check in time at Lucerne

25th July 11:00 check out time at Lucerne

25th July 14:00 Check in time at Interlaken

27th July 11:00 Check out time at Interlaken

27th July 15:00 check in time at Montreux

29th July 11:00 check out time at Montreux

29th July 21:40 flight leaves from Geneva

So how do we make the most of this schedule

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 June 2019 at 6:03:07 #908048

Hi Nehapadhi,

Personally I’d limit myself to two base towns. All the towns and surrounding regions offer enough to do and see for a week or even three. But that’s a personal preference really, if you want to have a quick taste of multiple places that’s fine too. Either way, once your base towns are set, you can visit our town pages for suggestions on things to do. It’s recommended to have good and bad weather alternatives, so you can choose based on the last minute weather forecasts:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2019 at 6:18:13 #908049

Even if you are taking it slowly you can check out a little earlier. As soon as you arrive in the town that your hotel is in drop your bags off there – even if it’s before the check in time and sight see without bags.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2019 at 7:01:44 #908050

Hi Neha,

Your choice of bases matches exactly with that of mine.

Take a look at my trip report and photos at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-14-days-switzerland-trip-apr-may-19

This will give you an idea of what could you possible do at each of the base. I am not saying what we did was the best. As I said Switzerland has lots to offer and some of these attractions are seasonal too, so we did what was best suited to us at that point in that time.

This forum is fantastic source of information and each important place has a dedicated page that gives overview of that place, the activities to do, how to get there and around and some other important aspects.

I suggest,

> you go thru mine and other reports on the forum,

> shortlist the places that you would like to see,

> check out the webpages for those places on this forum and understand what it has to offer and how to get there

>Using SBB.ch website and google maps, check out the travel time required to reach those places and make your itinerary

>Decide on the choice of travel pass suited for your travel itinerary

My suggestion for itinerary would be as below

Use the search box on this forum to access the webpages for all the place I have mentioned below.

22nd July 06:45 flight lands in Zurich

22nd July 14:00 Check in time at Lucerne

You will be done with your immigration formalities within an hour. If you haven’t bought already, you could buy the travel pass over the counters at the airport and a SIM card( if you need one) by 8 am. Take the train to Lucerne and check in to your hotel.

You would reach around 10 – 10:30 am, much earlier than your check in time. Talk to them to see if allow you early check in, if not, you could drop your luggage at the reception and depending on your energy levels, you could visit Mount Rigi or Stanserhorn and / or wander in the city for a relaxed time

23rd july – 24th July – Depending on Weather, Mt Titlis and /or Mt Pilatus

25th July 11:00 check out time at Lucerne

25th July 14:00 Check in time at Interlaken

Check out the Interlaken page on the forum to see what you can do in half day, Depending on the what time you reach , you could consider a boat ride on Lake Thun or Brienz and visit Thun village or castles like Oberhofen, Spiez, Thun etc. You may have to visit the pages for these places or even their websites to see the working days/hours and also the boat schedule

26th July – Depending on weather, You could visit Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch

27th July 11:00 Check out time at Interlaken – Take the golden pass train to Montreux

27th July 15:00 check in time at Montreux

You would have half day here and you could visit Chateau De Chillon and a walk on the beautiful lake promenade. I would personally prefer the walk.

28th July – if its of your interest, you could visit the Cheese Factory at Gruyeres and the Chocolate factory at Broc or consider walking thru Vineyards and boat ride back to Montreux

29th July 11:00 check out time at Montreux

You could visit Rochers de naye or maybe Chaplins world at Vevey

29th July 21:40 flight leaves from Geneva

Hope that helps

Thanks

Nehapadhi
    Participant
    15 posts
    26 June 2019 at 14:52:51 #908051

You are a literal Godsend! I went through your trip report, it is so wonderfully detailed!

I will be following it as a guide throughout my trip.

I was wondering if we could somehow squeeze a trip to Zermatt into our schedule?

Or is it too much to wish for?

Also assuming from your name, you are Indian, how did you go about with the currency exchange?

Nehapadhi
    Participant
    15 posts
    26 June 2019 at 14:55:16 #908052

That is a very good suggestion!

Thanks a lot, will definitely be doing that!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2019 at 3:42:13 #908053

Hi Neha

Counting only full days at your disposal, you have 1 day(26th) in Interlaken and 1 day(28th) in Montreux.

Travel time from both these bases to Klein Matterhorn ( I assume that when you Say Zermatt you would want to go upto the Klein Matterhorn ) is approx 3 to 3.5 hrs.

Depending on your interest, you could choose to go here in one of these days.

On the question of foreign exchange,

I bought a forex card online from bookmyforex.com. Exchange rates would depend up on your location.

Out of my estimated total expense, I carried 80% on card and 20% in cash. In the hindsight I now feel that I could have made that split 90% and 10% too. We didnt run into any place that did not accept cards

Nehapadhi
    Participant
    15 posts
    27 June 2019 at 6:30:04 #908054

I guess it will all come down to weather conditions as far as Klein Matterhorn is concerned.

Regarding foreign exchange, I had read everywhere online that Switzerland is a mostly case country hence was a bit worried.

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    27 June 2019 at 6:49:27 #908055

Hi Neha,

1) Buy a 8 day swiss travel pass

2) Do include a small walk to Lavaux vineyard .On 28th, you can very well start early & combine that with a tour to Broc.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/lavaux-cully-to-stsaphorin.

3) Instead of Interlaken (if your haven’t booked), go for Wengen, it will give you more flexibility to visit Grindelwald, Schilthorn or Jungfrau.

4) On 29th after check out, you can visit Gornergrat, Zermatt (check weather), collect your bags & proceed to Geneva..It will be a long day

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2019 at 10:05:13 #908056

Not sure if I understood your question on foreign exchange well.

Yes, Switzerland is expensive but then if you have your air tickets and hotel booked in advance and travel passes budgeted then majority expenses are taken care of . You will be left to bear the cost of mountain travels (over and above the travel pass ) , city taxes and meals. Eating out in restaurants is expensive and this forum has quite a few posts on saving costs on meals.

Nehapadhi
    Participant
    15 posts
    27 June 2019 at 15:12:32 #908057

Cash got autocorrected to case in my previous reply.

Sorry, my bad!

I meant I had heard that Switzerland is a mostly cash based country, isn’t that true?

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • The thread ‘8 day honeymoon July Lucerne, Interlaken & Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.