8-Day itinerary for Luzern in March

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2016 at 11:33:10 #808455

Hi,

We are going to be visiting Switzerland in March and below is what we have planned. We are going to be staying in Luzern for the whole trip. We are a group of 6 adults in their early 30’s.

1. Day 1 – Luzern local sight seeing – Chapel Bridge, Lion of lucerne, old town, etc

2. Day 2 – Mt Rigi

3. Day 3 – Golden Pass Line. Plan to go around town in Montreux, Gstaad, Saanen and Zweisimmen.

4. Day 4 – Mt Titlis and Hergiswil Glass factory

5. Day 5 – Zermatt. Need to decide between Matterhorn and Gornegrat.

6. Day 6 – In and around Interlaken (Wengen, Murren, Lauterbrunnen and cruise on either lake Thun or lake Brienz) Is this feasible?

7. Day 7 – Grindelwald First OR Glacier 3000 OR Schilthorn. Please suggest.

8. Day 8 – Please suggest.

Can you please review the itinerary and help fill in the gaps. Really appreciate your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 February 2016 at 13:50:59 #848590

HI samit56!

Good to hear you’ve been able to compose an itinerary. The first part looks fine to me: day 1 to 4 are doable. Do mind that the entire Golden Pass line (and back) will be quite long, so you’d better not take breaks in all towns along the way. If I were you, I’d rather do the entire route non-stop with a visit in Montreux only, before heading back.

If you plan to stay in Lucerne, a day trip to Zermatt and either Klein Matterhorn or Gornergrat would be very long. Did you check the timetable for details? It’s doable, but you’ll spend lots of hours on the train for a rather brief visit to Zermatt. If you definitely want to get there that’s fine of course. Day 6 to Interlaken also requires a couple of traveling hours, but certainly not as many as to Zermatt. As for day 7: First, Glacier 3000 and Schilthorn are all very different. Which is best strongly depends on your preferences. In terms of traveling times, First and Schilthorn would be better than Glacier 3000. First is somewhat cheaper than Schilthorn, but Schilthorn offers more of a 360 degree view over the Bernese Oberland.

There are lots of options for day 8. You may like a city visit to Bern or Zurich, for example, a boat ride over Lake Lucerne, a visit to PIlatus, and so on.

The 8 day Swiss Travel Pass would be a perfect fit for your plans. Please find details at our Swiss Travel Pass page. Purchase options are listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price. You’d best order through http://www.swissrailways.com and select “Online ticket” when asked for delivery options. That allows you to simply print your passes at home without any additional fees.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2016 at 9:52:56 #848591

Thanks for your inputs.

For day 7 we have finalized Schilthorn. Do you think the Trummelbach falls will be open in March for us to visit on our way back from Schilthorn. If not what other places can we see on our way back.

Also is it worth visiting Rhine Falls in March.

Annika
    7116 posts
    2 March 2016 at 10:10:08 #848592

Hi samit56,

The Trümmelbach Falls will be closed in March. A walk from Grütschalp to Mürren or Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg would be very nice if the weather is good.

March is not the best time for the Rhine Falls, please see here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2016 at 10:52:40 #848593

Thanks Annika

Also is there any part of Glacier Express that can be done in a day from Lucerne as we might not be able to do the entire route

Annika
    7116 posts
    2 March 2016 at 18:01:14 #848594

Hi samit56,

I’m afraid the Glacier Express is too far off to do (part of it) as a day trip from Lucerne. Theoretically, you could do the legs Andermatt-Visp or Chur-Andermatt (more scenic) and return to Lucerne the same evening, but it will take a long and full day of traveling. You’d best consult the timetable I mentioned before to find out what exact traveling times are involved and whether you’re fine with them. If I were you, I’d rather stick to the plan you mentioned above.

• The thread ‘8-Day itinerary for Luzern in March’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.