I am Gauri and I am planning to travel to Switzerland for 8 day in June 2017. Thank you for sharing information on the thread. It has been very useful for me and has answered a lot of my queries. However, this is my first trip to Switzerland and I am a little nervous to plan it all by myself. And hence have some more questions.
We are planning to take a 8 day Swiss Pass to make travel easier. I am including my draft itinerary below and will follow it up with questions:
June 10: Reach Zurich from Paris by TGV Lyria at night and move to Lucerne
Jun 11 (Day 1): Plan a trip to Mt. Rigi or Mt. Pilatus + remaining time exploring Lucerne city (night in Lucerne)
Jun 12 (Day 2): Travel to Mt. Titlis and explore city in remaining time (night in Lucerne)
Jun 13 (Day 3): Travel to Lauterbrunnen via Interlaken and go to Schilthorn and explore Murren, Grimmelwald in the remaining time (night in Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen)
Jun 14 (Day 4): Travel to Jungfraujoch (take an early morning train) and explore the Jungrfrau region (night in Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen) (Have kept this trip flexible for Day 3, 4 & 5 depending on the weather)
Jun 15 (Day 5): Interlaken + Cruise on Lake Thun + ?? (night in Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen)
Jun 16 (Day 6): Travel to Montreux - Visit Chillon Castle + Spend time in Lausanne/Montreux (Night in Montreux/Lausanne)
Jun 17 (Day 7): Travel to Zermatt and go up to see Matterhorn from Gornergrat (night in Zermatt)
Jun 18 (Day 8): Take Glacier Express to Chur and reach by 13:35 and head to Zurich (night in Zurich)
Jun 19: Take a flight back to India
My queries are:
1. I have read that it is not advisable to do Mt. Rigi and Mt. Pilatus in one day. If I have to choose one which one should I visit?
2. I am not sure about what should be doing on Day 5. Would you suggest going to Gruyeres or exploring vineyards close by? Alternatively, spending an extra day at the end of the trip in Zurich exploring the city? Very confused about this.
3. Golden Pass Train is one of the scenic routes I have read a lot about. Since I would have already taken a train from Lucerne to Interlaken, does it make sense to do the Interlaken to Montreux leg on Golden Pass?
4. Is one day good to explore the Chillon Castle and spend sometime in Montreux/Lausanne? Or should I spend greater time here?
5. As you see I am changing base a lot - Lucerne (2 nights), Lauterbrunnen (3 nights), Montreux (1 night), Zermatt (1 night), Zurich (1 night). I fear that checking in and checking out will take a lot of time. Any suggestions on reducing the change in base?
6. I know Switzerland is about mountains but I am doing a lot of peaks - Pilatus/Rigi + Titlis + Jungfrujoch + Matterhorn. Should I be including Schilthorn or use the day in Montreux/Zurich region instead?
I know too many questions but I am really confused. Look forward to your suggestions. Thanks in advance.