8 day travel pass Jungfrau and Matterhorn

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Alvinandaya7
Alvinandaya7
12 posts
Jul 10, 2019 - 7:11 PM

Hello ,

I will be backpacking solo in the alps Arriving Zurich on the 13th at 1220 pm the. Taking the train straight to Zermatt , spending three days there then the rest will be spent in St. Moritz and Wengen .I am flexible and giving some extra time in each location in case the weather does not cooperate . I’ve looked into other options if this happens , a day trip to Bern or Lucerne

Day 1 Gornegrat and 5 lakes hike

Day 2 Sunnega Glacier paradise

Day 3 Randa Hike at Charles Kuonen Suspension bridge .

Day 4 Glacier express to St Moritz ?

Day 5 Glacier express return to Zermatt ?

Day 6 Wengen (Lauterbrunnen, Mürren, Mannlichen Hike )

Day 7 Wengen Grindelwald,First it Shilthorn

Day 8 Wengen Jungfraujoch

questions :

1.3 days ok to explore Zermatt ?

2.Is the glacier express worth the trip for an overnight round trip ? Or I should spend more time to Jungfrau region ?

3.Any other recommendations to do in Zermatt ?

4.Any recommendations to do in Jungfrau ?

5. Is the 8 day travel pass sufficient ? Can I purchase it at the airport in Zurich upon arrival ? Will be planning to do cable cars , gondolas , cogwheels , funiculars and the train to Jungfraujoch . I think the pass is more economical?

Any recommendations and advice is greatly appreciated . I can’t wait for this trip :)

Thanks

Alvin (NYC)

pvonk
pvonk
165 posts
Jul 11, 2019 - 2:42 AM in reply to Alvinandaya7

You should read How to choose the best travel pass...

www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

Annika
Annika
5442 posts
expert &
Jul 11, 2019 - 1:33 PM in reply to Alvinandaya7

Hi Alvin! Let's take a look at your questions:

1. and 3. Yes, 3 days should be fine. Please see myswissalps.com/zermat t/activities for recommended day trips.

2. That's a very personal decision. I think it's a beautiful trip (myswissalps.com/glacie rexpress), but spending two entire days traveling up and down the same route isn't ideal. Instead you could look for a scenic route to travel from Zermatt to Wengen, such as Brig-Kandersteg-Spiez using the regional Lötschberger RegioExpress trains. The Golden Pass line between Montreux and Interlaken is great as well (myswissalps.com/golden pass), although it's more of a detour from Zermatt. You'd best use the timetable to find out what fits your itinerary: myswissalps.com/itiner ary.

4. Please refer to myswissalps.com/bernes eoberland/activities.

5. Yes, an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass makes most sense. You can buy it at the airport, but getting it online in advance comes with some benefits. You can store a PDF backup on your phone in case of loss or damage of your printed pass, and you can start traveling after arrival in Zurich immediately. I'm not sure if you mean to arrive on July 13. If so, I'd buy the pass right now as some retailers need a bit of processing time: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price. However, Happyrail (https://www.happyrail. com/en/pass/europe/swi tzerland/swiss-travel-pass-consecutive) and STC (https://shop.switzerla ndtravelcentre.com) usually deliver the electronic pass within minutes.

Alvinandaya7
Alvinandaya7
12 posts
Jul 11, 2019 - 2:08 PM in reply to Annika

Thank you Annika ! The information you provided is very helpful . Arriving Zurich in September 13 th . I will definitely consider the other option for the scenic train route and I can have two days extra to do some activities like paragliding and skydiving , Will Have to come back again for the glacier express :) .

Shroffchetan
Shroffchetan
88 posts
Jul 11, 2019 - 4:28 PM

I am not sure if you can do your day 1 plan if you arrive at 12;20 pm since it will take time to reach zermatt from Zurich

If plan to drop ride in glacier express, you can come to bernese oberland

Jungfraujoch will be weather dependent. Better to do when first opportunity comes when you are in that area

Alvinandaya7
Alvinandaya7
12 posts
Jul 11, 2019 - 6:48 PM in reply to Shroffchetan

Thank you for your advise . I will be arriving Zurich at 1220 pm then catch the 3 pm train to Zermatt . So I’ll be spending the night in Zermatt before my day 1 hike :) . I will be cancelling my round trip glacier express and will have two day more to spend in Jungfau .

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019