8 day travel pass Jungfrau and Matterhorn

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2019 at 19:11:52 #822777

Hello ,

I will be backpacking solo in the alps Arriving Zurich on the 13th at 1220 pm the. Taking the train straight to Zermatt , spending three days there then the rest will be spent in St. Moritz and Wengen .I am flexible and giving some extra time in each location in case the weather does not cooperate . I’ve looked into other options if this happens , a day trip to Bern or Lucerne

Day 1 Gornegrat and 5 lakes hike

Day 2 Sunnega Glacier paradise

Day 3 Randa Hike at Charles Kuonen Suspension bridge .

Day 4 Glacier express to St Moritz ?

Day 5 Glacier express return to Zermatt ?

Day 6 Wengen (Lauterbrunnen, Mürren, Mannlichen Hike )

Day 7 Wengen Grindelwald,First it Shilthorn

Day 8 Wengen Jungfraujoch

questions :

1.3 days ok to explore Zermatt ?

2.Is the glacier express worth the trip for an overnight round trip ? Or I should spend more time to Jungfrau region ?

3.Any other recommendations to do in Zermatt ?

4.Any recommendations to do in Jungfrau ?

5. Is the 8 day travel pass sufficient ? Can I purchase it at the airport in Zurich upon arrival ? Will be planning to do cable cars , gondolas , cogwheels , funiculars and the train to Jungfraujoch . I think the pass is more economical?

Any recommendations and advice is greatly appreciated . I can’t wait for this trip 🙂

Thanks

Alvin (NYC)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pvonk
    Participant
    382 posts
    11 July 2019 at 2:42:03 #917482

You should read How to choose the best travel pass…

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

Annika
    7116 posts
    11 July 2019 at 13:33:04 #917483

Hi Alvin! Let’s take a look at your questions:

1. and 3. Yes, 3 days should be fine. Please see myswissalps.com/zermatt/activities for recommended day trips.

2. That’s a very personal decision. I think it’s a beautiful trip (myswissalps.com/glacierexpress), but spending two entire days traveling up and down the same route isn’t ideal. Instead you could look for a scenic route to travel from Zermatt to Wengen, such as Brig-Kandersteg-Spiez using the regional Lötschberger RegioExpress trains. The Golden Pass line between Montreux and Interlaken is great as well (myswissalps.com/goldenpass), although it’s more of a detour from Zermatt. You’d best use the timetable to find out what fits your itinerary: myswissalps.com/timetable.

4. Please refer to myswissalps.com/berneseoberland/activities.

5. Yes, an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass makes most sense. You can buy it at the airport, but getting it online in advance comes with some benefits. You can store a PDF backup on your phone in case of loss or damage of your printed pass, and you can start traveling after arrival in Zurich immediately. I’m not sure if you mean to arrive on July 13. If so, I’d buy the pass right now as some retailers need a bit of processing time: myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price. However, Happyrail (https://www.happyrail.com/en/pass/europe/switzerland/swiss-travel-pass-consecutive) and STC (https://shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com) usually deliver the electronic pass within minutes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2019 at 14:08:27 #917484

Thank you Annika ! The information you provided is very helpful . Arriving Zurich in September 13 th . I will definitely consider the other option for the scenic train route and I can have two days extra to do some activities like paragliding and skydiving , Will Have to come back again for the glacier express 🙂 .

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    11 July 2019 at 16:28:42 #917485

I am not sure if you can do your day 1 plan if you arrive at 12;20 pm since it will take time to reach zermatt from Zurich

If plan to drop ride in glacier express, you can come to bernese oberland

Jungfraujoch will be weather dependent. Better to do when first opportunity comes when you are in that area

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2019 at 18:48:01 #917486

Thank you for your advise . I will be arriving Zurich at 1220 pm then catch the 3 pm train to Zermatt . So I’ll be spending the night in Zermatt before my day 1 hike 🙂 . I will be cancelling my round trip glacier express and will have two day more to spend in Jungfau .

• The thread ‘8 day travel pass Jungfrau and Matterhorn’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.