Based in Interlaken for 8 days in Aug – what to do

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 17:39:39 #816415

Hi

I’m planning to visit Switzerland between 18-26 August.

I’m planning to make Interlaken as the base between 18-22 August. I’ve already been to Jungfrau. I’m keen on visiting Schiltorn this time. Spend the rest of the days covering Grindelwald, Mürren and probably lakes around Interlaken area.

From 23-26 I want to make Zurich/ Lucerne as the base and do Titlis, Rhine falls and perhaps city tours and lake tours in Zurich/Lucerne.

Also want to visit Glacier 3000. What is the best way for this?

I’ve already done the golden pass line. I’ve heard there are other scenic trains as well? Are there other mountains/ areas I would rather cover? Like bern perhaps?

Please validate and suggest an itinerary. Also what would be the best travel card for such a trip?

Thanks a lot!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    3 June 2018 at 20:54:37 #887220

Good idea to make Interlaken your base but please remember it does attract lots of noisy international tourists who do like to push and shove at times.

Everything you’ve suggested in the Grindelwald/Murren area is worth doing.

Almost every train line or Post Bus route in Switzerland is scenic. There are so many options. Minor lines and routes, often overlooked by international tourists, can be charming.

Again, my suggestion is not to try to do too much in the time available. Enjoy your experience. And, also again, much of the information you are seeking is already on these pages and in the various discussions.

Enjoy your travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 5:22:46 #887221

Hi Akanksha,

We don’t create itineraries here but can of course give lots of tips!

You may like making Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen a base instead of Interlaken – more charming towns.
    For mountain visits, the Jungfrau region (around Interlaken) and the Lucerne region are your best bets.

The Glacier 3000 can be reached from Interlaken the easiest. Just enter Glacier 3000 in the timetable from any town and you’ll see your connection options. https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Another scenic train that could be done from Lucerne is the Gotthard Panorama Express: https://www.myswissalp s.com/gotthardpanorama express

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 7:25:41 #887222

Thanks a lot. This is super helpful

My previous trip to Switzerland ended up becoming super expensive because I didn’t get a pass. What pass would you recommend? An 8 day pass? A half rate card?

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 11:46:37 #887223

To know which pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    4 June 2018 at 20:04:31 #887224

Without reflecting on the original posting by Akanksha and reading almost every posting on this board, I am in complete support of what Lucas has said above.

Travelling in Switzerland is a most wonderful and enjoyable experience.

There are SO many travel options – but “Prior planning prevents poor performance “- as the old saying goes.

It can be time consuming to work out the best options for one’s individual plans but it’s part of the experience and is mostly very enjoyable.

And most of the resources – or directions thereto – are on this site!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 20:10:58 #887225

Thanks everyone! 🙂

• The thread ‘Based in Interlaken for 8 days in Aug – what to do’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.