8 day trip to Switzerland in July

• rajiv26
    Participant
    11 posts
    27 February 2018 at 21:26:20 #814544

Hi, I am looking to travel to Switzerland with my wife and 2 children at the end of July 2018 for 8 days and would appreciate your help in planning my trip. My flight lands at Zurich in the morning and we are keen to visit Rhine falls the day we land . We would like to do scenic trips and like to spend 3 days in Bernese Oberland, 2 days in Zermatt and the rest couple of days we would like to spend travelling on Panoramic Trains.

I would like to know the best ways to travel to these regions where we could enjoy the beautiful sceneries of Switzerland.

Apart from Top of Europe, what other sightseeing’s are available in Bernese Oberland?

What areas are best to stay in these regions?

Thank you in advance for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 8:51:26 #877372

Hi rajiv26,

I would recommend to travel by train and purchase a Swiss rail pass that fits your itinerary. A clearly mapped out itinerary is the basis for deciding which pass (if any) suits. Based on your itinerary you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. You should read “How to choose the best travel pass”.

Popular villages in the Bernese Oberland are Wengen, Grindelwald and Mürren. Check out this page to find out what other activities can be done in the Bernese Oberland.

Be sure to check:

rajiv26
    Participant
    11 posts
    28 February 2018 at 12:30:42 #877373

Thank you Chantal. I looked at the travel pass system and an 8 day travel pass with the family card suits us. We will be travelling to top of europe mountain and I believe the travel pass will allow us to travel to certain point and then I have to buy a ticket to top of europe mountain. Can you please let me know from which station I have to buy the ticket?

Thanks.

rajiv26
    Participant
    11 posts
    28 February 2018 at 13:13:05 #877374

Hi Chantal, I have detailed my Itinerary below and if you could let me know if this is possible to complete in 8 days.

Day 1: Arriving by Flight on Sunday morning around 10am in July and straight head to Rhine falls. Leave in the evening from Rhine falls to travel to Luzern.

Day 2: Visit Mount Titlis and Mount Rigi and then head off to Interlaken or Grindelwald.

Day 3: Visit Jungrafraujoch early morning and then travel on golden express to Gstaad to visit Glacier 3000.

Day 4: visit Schilthorn early morning and lake Thun.

Day 5: Free day to visit any other areas in the region and in the evening travel to Zermatt. ( we could travel to Sannen and Montruex via golden express this day)

Day 6: Visit Matterhorn and Gornergrat.

Day 7: Travel via Glacier express to Zurich

Day 8: Our Flight is late in the evening and we have a day to explore Zurich.

I am not so keen on exploring Zurich, do you have any suggestions for day 5, 7 and day 8?

If you could also let me know which mountain trips are covered by Swiss 8 day travel pass that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 14:05:47 #877375

From Grindelwald or Wengen. Depends on how you’re planning to make the trip. You will get 25% off.

Read here more about how to get to Jungfraujoch: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e

amarmistry
    Participant
    35 posts
    28 February 2018 at 14:28:57 #877376

Hi Rajiv

I am also planning the trip to Switzerland in the beginning of July for 7 days.

Have you decided to stay at one place or multiple? I am not able to decide myself. I will be travelling with my wife and son. Any particular hotel?

Amar

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 14:37:19 #877377

Looks pretty good.

Day 2: doable, but a busy day.

Day 3: from Interlaken it’s 2h40 to get to Glacier 3000. Use the Swiss rail timetable to plan your trip accordingly.

Day 5: it’s a good idea that you’ve scheduled a day like that. You can flex a bit in case the weather on day 3 isn’t good enough to visit the Jungfraujoch. I would definitely take the Golden Pass line. Towards the end of the day the light over Lake Geneva should be beautiful. Try to have a stroll along the lake in Montreux.

Regarding day 5, what would be of interest? I read you have kids. Should it be an activity for kids? We have listed some ideas on this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s.

I think it’s a nice idea to take the Glacier Express. I would probably do that on day 8 and I would add an additional day to your stay in Lucerne. There’s enough to see and do. And to make your travel a bit lighter, you could split the two mountain trips over two days.

rajiv26
    Participant
    11 posts
    28 February 2018 at 15:46:28 #877378

Hi Amar,

If you are travelling to multiple locations, it would be difficult to stay at one location. So we are thinking of staying in multiple locations. I have not decided on the hotels yet.

Rajiv

rajiv26
    Participant
    11 posts
    28 February 2018 at 16:03:19 #877379

Thank you Chantal. Appreciate your suggestions. I have seen on the website that I have to reserve a seat on Golden pass from Zweisimmen to Montruex and Glacier Express. Are there any charges bearing in mind that I will be buying a 8 day travel pass and secondly, how do I reserve the seat?

I am also looking to stop over in Saanen and Gstaad for couple of hours and wanted to find out how frequent the trains are to Zweisimmen from these staions?

The tickets for Mount Titlis and Matterhorn are 50% off due to travel pass. I will also have a family card because my daughter’s ages are between 6 and 15. Do I still have to buy the discounted tickets for my daughters or do they go for free?

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 18:15:46 #877380

Reservations are not required on any section of the Golden Pass route – but we recommend it often in the busy summer season. Seat reservations for the Glacier Express are obligatory. You can do that here.

You will have to use the Swiss train timetable to understand how frequent the trains to Zweisimmen are. You can find the timetable here.

Your kids will travel for free. No tickets needed.

• The thread ‘8 day trip to Switzerland in July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.