8 days in Interlaken with an infant

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 13:51:53 #816137

Hello

I am travelling with my wife and my 20 month old son for 14 days to Switzerland. To avoid any discomforts with the kid we have chosen just 2 bases for our stay, 1st is Interlaken for 8 days and then to Zurich for 5 days.

I have chosen Harder Kulm, Schilthorn, Trummelbach falls as day excursions on each days.

Kindly suggest if the ones chosen are safe for kids. And are there more attractions where we could go?

We plan to cover atleast one attraction each day for a period of 4-6 hours.

We plan to hire a car also to be flexible and easy with the kid but would not mind travelling on a train for an hour or so.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    21 May 2018 at 17:12:48 #885951

Hello Rahejaparag, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

Interlaken is a good base for the Jungfrau region and the (wider) Bernese Oberland. There are lots of activities, quite some of them suitable for infants as well. Harder Kulm shouldn’t be a problem. Schilthorn should be fine too, as long as you watch your child for any signs of altitude sickness as explained at our Schilthorn page: myswissalps.com/schilt horn. The Trümmelbach Falls unfortunately aren’t accessible for kids under 4, as some of the steps can be slippery and the sound of the water crashing down can be too overwhelming. Further suggestions are at myswissalps.com/jungfr auregion/activities.

I understand that a car might seem more flexible, but in the Jungfrau region it isn’t necessarily. Many of the beautiful locations can’t even be reached by car. Driving in a larger city such as Zurich can be tricky and parking fees are high. Did you check myswissalps.com/carver sustrain? Once you’re settled on the transportation issue, it’s wise to look into rail passes to save money: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass. Even if you rent a car, a rail pass such as the Swiss Half Fare Card will come in handy.

Please find tips for Zurich at myswissalps.com/zurich. Mind that it isn’t close to the mountains. If you want to make scenic trips during those 5 days as well, you may reconsider and pick Lucerne instead.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 17:50:40 #885952

Thanks Annika, appreciate your response.

I have few thoughts

1. I understand for trimmelbach falls and would avoid.

2. If going up to harder kulm then schilthorn kid feels fine then can we go up to jungfrau?

3. What day trips to other cities like zermat, titlis etc you suggest as we plan to drive there?

Annika
    7124 posts
    21 May 2018 at 18:39:13 #885953

Hi again!

2. Jungfraujoch is a lot higher than Harder Kulm, so just as with Schilthorn, you should be aware of the risks of altitude sickness: myswissalps.com/jungfr aujoch.

3. Both Zermatt and Titlis are quite far off from Interlaken. If you want to keep travel times under an hour, you’d better focus on the Bernese Oberland: myswissalps.com/bernes eoberland/activities. There’s so much to see and do that you definitely won’t get bored. Plan your trips with the aid of the timetable at myswissalps.com/timeta ble and, if you plan to drive, a reliable route planner. Then you can decide what travel times are acceptable for you and your travel company.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    22 May 2018 at 18:48:29 #885954

I would seriously reconsider your plans to hire a car.

The Swiss public transport system is excellent – and you leave the driving to the experts!!!!!

Travelling with an infant would be a challenge for anyone but with good planning and suitable stops you should be fine.

Happy travels and let’s hear of your experiences!

• The thread ‘8 days in Interlaken with an infant’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.