8 days in June (with a baby)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2017 at 15:53:01 #810536

Hi,

I just bumped in to this website and it is great storehouse of information and very helpful set of members

I am planning a trip with my family – me and my wife (early 30s), a and my 60 year old dad. We cannot hike with a baby – so unfortunately all hiking is off. Likely date is late June or early July.

Basic itinerary – 2 days Lucerne, 4 days Interlaken, 2 days Bern.

Day 1 – We are planning to land at Zurich early morning from Singapore. From there we are planning to take train directly to Lucerne. Keep it low in noon and go to Mt Pilatus in early evening and back. Night at Lucerne.

Day 2 – Mount Titlis and back. Night at Lucerne.

Day 3 – Roam around city (lake lucerne, old town) in morning and leave for Interlaken by late evening. Night at Interlaken. Do we need more time in Lucerne?

Day 4 – Day trip to Lauterbrunnen / Gimmelwald / Murren ? How much can I cover in a day? I want to be slow and relaxed setting than just hop towns. Whats the best place to do Paragliding? Night at Interlaken.

Day 5 – Jungfrau day trip. Night at Interlaken.

Day 6 – Free / Day trip to Grindewald. Any other must see in Interlaken? Night at Interlaken

Day 7 – Early morning train to Bern. City sightseeing.

Day 8 – Day trip to Montreux and Gruyeres. Chocolate Train. Night at Bern.

Day 9 -Direct train to Zurich Airport in afternoon.

———–

A few broad questions

1) Given I have baby, I don’t want to stay at more than 3 places. Are Lucerne, Interlaken and Bern best options?

2) I am skipping Zermatt because there seems to be not much to do except Matterhorn and I don’t want to add another city to stay over

3) How convenient is above itinerary with a one year old baby? Should we take any precautions?

4) Any particular place which I missed out and possible with above itinerary? Anything to replace?

Thanks for all your help.

Jaimin

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2017 at 7:49:53 #857896

Hi Jaimin and welcome to MySwissAlps!

to answer your questions:

1. Yes, I agree 3 places at most are best and personally I think those are good choices. (Also, you may not want to plan on Mt. Pilatus on your very first day after a long flight and trip to Luzern (German spelling). Luzern and Interlaken are great jumping off points for your stated interests however.
    2. Agreed
    3. Honestly I can’t say myself as I have never traveled with a baby – perhaps another member can chime in! Our page here on Jungfraujoch has some details on preparation for trips above 2500 meters.
    4. I would look at taking the Golden Pass train from Luzern to Interlaken Ost and/or from there to Montreux as a great scenic trip for you to enjoy.
    5. I think the number of nights you have proposed in each town is also appropriate and enough time for each. Day 4 is your busiest and you may just want to play that by ear and see how the baby does that day. Plan on the things you really want to see and do first!
    6. Take a look at this link for more sports and paragliding activities.

I hope this helps and let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

Regards,
    Lucas

Arno
    15483 posts
    10 January 2017 at 8:52:17 #857897

Hi Jaimin,

One more tip is to check with your pediatrician whether it is ok for you to take your baby to altitudes over 2500m. You’ll find details on the Jungfraujoch page and our other peak pages.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2017 at 15:01:57 #857898

Thanks Lucas! This was very helpful!

1. I will re-consider Mt Pilatus. May push to next day or so.
    2. For the three options – Lauterbrunnen / Gimmelwald / Murren – I wanted to get an opinion on what to do amongst the three. I don’t intend to do all three – just one or max two places. Any suggestions on this?

—–

Apart from above – I had two more questions

1. Does it rain in late June? If yes, how frequent and how long does it last? Do I need additional buffer days for the same?
    2. For the trains and cogwheel trains – how convenient is it to carry a stroller?

Thanks for the replies.

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 January 2017 at 15:18:50 #857899

Hello Jaimin,

Lauterbrunnen is a small village. There are some nice spots for photography, but no real sightseeing there. Gimmelwald is even smaller and not a sightseeing destination, but wonderful scenery so worth a short stop if that’s what you are looking for. Mürren is a nice little town up the mountain with various terraces to have a drink or lunch. Basically all these villages are places where you start or end hiking, or have a brief look around while on your way to/from the Schilthorn.

1. June, July and August are the wettest months on average, but that does not main rain will spoil your stay. Typically it just rains in the late afternoon or at night. Often it does not rain at all, but days of relentless rain are not unheard of either. There is just no way to tell until about 3 days before. Buffer days are really useful. If you don’t need them for the weather there’s always something else to do or see.

2. If you can carry/push it yourself it won’t be a problem. You will normally travel on cogwheel trains during day trips only, e.g. to Mount Pilatus. Those trains are a bit smaller and taking lots of luggage is not impossible but it’s much more enjoyable to just take a small backpack and/or carrying jacket for the baby. The paths on top are often not suitable for a stroller, or just a small part. Trails can be rocky.

• The thread ‘8 days in June (with a baby)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.