8 days in Switzerland itinerary help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 0:09:13 #811620

My 22yr old son and I are planning an 8 day trip to Switzerland to celebrate his graduation from college. We arrive July 2nd, 2017. Our current itinerary includes:

• Zurich – 1 day
    • Luzerne – 1 day
    • Interlaken – 3 days – day trips to Grindlewald and Thun
    • Bern – 1 day
    • Lausanne – 1 day
    • Lausanne/Zurich – 1 day

We wish to see beautiful mountains and waterfalls. Take some refreshing hikes and visit some unique Swiss villages. We are planning on traveling by train, sleep in hotels or B&B but we wonder how accessible the hiking and mountain trips are by public transportation. We don’t plan on renting a car and worry we are limiting our options.

Any suggestions, comments or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 12:29:08 #862558

Hi Bob and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You have made the right choice I think in taking trains everywhere – everything in Switzerland is accessible by train or bus, but not by car.

As for rail passes, a Swiss Travel Pass would work for you very well. Your son qualifies for a discounted “youth” Swiss Travel Pass as well.

You can read about all the major attractions that are covered (or partially covered) by the Swiss Travel Pass here – and there is also a handy map as well.

As for your itinerary: If you mountains, hiking and smaller Swiss villages I would give Zurich a pass and go straight to Luzern (local German spelling for your first 2 nights). Have a look here for attractions to see around Luzern.

Interlaken is a nice town as it has very good rail access – from here you can visit Grindelwald, Thun and other Swiss towns like Lauterbrunnen and Murren. Interlaken itself isn’t the prettiest town and I often mention to people you may like to stay in one of the smaller villages instead. Have a look at the links for the towns above what to do there and where to stay.

I hope that helps start your planning, let us know if you have further questions!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 2:10:21 #862559

Lucas, thanks for the information. Lauterbrunnen looks spectacular. So much to review and decisions need to be made. 8 days is simply not enough time. Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 0:10:36 #862560

Hi Bob, I am not an expert, just a fellow traveler that will be there about the same time as you. I think the train from Interlaken to Bern is only an hour (timetable here). I would add that night to the stay in Interlaken (or the mountain village of your choice) and do a day trip. That way you don’t have to waste 1/2 a day checking out/in and dragging your bags. You can do the day trip on a day when the weather doesn’t cooperate in the mountains. With the travel pass, you can just make it up on the fly based on how you feel. I think Lausanne is more like 2 hours, so maybe too far for a day trip. Though, you could take the golden pass train to Montreux in the morning, maybe take a boat to Lausanne and explore for the rest of the day and then take a night train home. Just throwing out ideas. Have fun!

• The thread ‘8 days in Switzerland itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.