Help plan 10 day Swiss tour- family of 4 in July

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2018 at 8:49:54 #816595

Dear all,

I would be grateful if there are advises on the iternary of SWISS tour starting from 29th July 18 till 6th or 7th of AUG 2018 which i have made going through the forum.All trips will be made by train.

Thanks in advance!

D1-Arrive in Geneva from Dubai-1/2 day city tour of GENEVA with luggage at airport,and depart to Montreux for overnight stay.

D2-Stay at Montreux-Glaciar 360 in the morning and tour Vevey and Luasanne in the noon.

D3-Depart to Zermatt early morning for a view of Matterhorn(again luggage at train station!) from Gornergrat .Then depart to Wengen by evening for overnight stay.

D4-Wengen stay -Jungfrau visit in the morning and light local site seeing in the evening.

D5-Wengen stay- guide me about the activities to do near and around Wengen.

D6-Travel to Luzern-and stay till D8-Visit Mt Titlis or Pilatus.Day visit to Bern.Day visit to Zuruich,Rhine falls,Thun.

D9/D10-will depart early morning to Zurich and then back to Dubai.

Kindly let me know the travel by trains from one place to another.As I have learnt ,no advance booking of train tickets and seats are necessary,it has given us a choice of flexibility.We would like to take golden pass on the way to Wengen.

Please ,Guide me about the scenic train routes and also about the train offers where i could get the maximum benefit as I am unable to make choice between swiss pass or 1/2 price tickets ,for 4 of us!

Regards,

Manjula

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2018 at 11:27:52 #888088

Hi: We are also planning trip of Swiss from 11 Aug onwards for 7 nights & live in dubai. We are also family of 4 (2 kids). There is lot of similarity between our itinerary.

We are reaching geneva and staying in Montreux On day 1.

On day 2 we are heading to Zermatt through GP and staying over night in Zermatt

Day 3: Matterhorn and enjoying the Zermatt town. Seems this is best place to visit as per tripadvisor therefore we are giving one day extra to this place.

Day 4: heading to Wengen or Interlaken. Depending upon where we get good hotel.

Day 5: Jungfrau visit

Day 6 & 7: Luzern. Doing Mt Titlis.

On scenic train tours I have read Golden pass is the best. You can do that while coming from Montreux or going to Wengen. But you plan to cover Matterhorn same day therefore it may be difficult as that ride will take 2-3 hours.

buying travel pass is better as you get discount on the Jungfrau visit also kids Travel become free as part of family pass. Buy this before you depart.

Further you have mentioned keeping luggage at station. How does this arrangement work? Have you done hotel booking? Please help with hotels you have selected.

my post has not answered your questions rather raised more! Let’s keep sharing notes as both of us learn about this lovely country.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2018 at 18:32:30 #888089

Thanks MrNarayan.I read it somewhere that you can dock the luggage at railway station and do tour the place before leaving the town again.Thats done for a small fee I guess,which we will sort it out when we reach there.Reg hotels we have booked hotels in Montreux for 2nights,wengen 3nights and 4days Luzern,and all with free cancellation till a week before the arrival.We did it through Booking.com and hotels.com

Reg Zermatt,I think there is nothing much than Matterhorn as we are very very beginners in skiing and would do that in wengen(so we will see Matterhorn on our onward journey to wengen.

Hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2018 at 19:38:55 #888090

Hi Manjula and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Day 2: Glacier 3000 (not Glaciar 360) 🙂

Day 6-8: I’d not spend a day going to Zurich and Rheinfall. Many more interesting things to see and do around Lucerne: https://www.myswissalp s.com/lucerne/activiti es

As for Swiss rail passes, I think the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass makes the most sense (for days 2-9).

BUT To know which rail pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 0:56:12 #888091

Hi Manjula,

>> 29th July 18 till 6th or 7th of AUG 2018 … we are very very beginners in skiing and would do that in wengen

You won’t be able to ski in Wengen in August. The ski season finished in April.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 6:34:01 #888092

Thank you Alpenrose,for the wonderful infromation.Could you please suggest where could we do some skiing(beginers) looking at our plans?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 6:36:34 #888093

Thank You very much Mr Lucas.We just wanted to complete our trip with Zurich!

Would check with the spreadsheet and get back.

As our activity /site seeing list is still not finalised,it would take me a bit of time to sort it out as I will need to go through the WHAT TO DO LIST of every major place in our list.

Would get back for the help!

Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 14:06:07 #888094

Zermatt would be your best ski option in the summer.

• The thread ‘Help plan 10 day Swiss tour- family of 4 in July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.