8 days Switzerland July itinerary – doable?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2018 at 11:58:19 #815401

Hi,

This is what my final itinerary is. Please help me with my itinerary & any suggestions, if i have missed anything.

We arrive from Colmar on 4th July18 via Basel to Grindelwald. We plan to buy Swiss Travel Plan for 8 days.

4th – 8th July base at Grindelwald ( as advised by Chantal / Lucas)

Day.1 (4th July) – arrive Grindelwald by afternoon. eveng visit Interlaken & Lake Thun.

Day.2 (5th July) – Day trip to Jungfrau, plan to visit Schilthorn also from Murren

Day.3 (6th July) – from Interlaken to Montreux on Golden Pass. then Lausanne & lake Geneve.

Day.4 (7th July) – Interlaken to Zermatt to Matterhorn.

Day.5 (8th July) – Grindeldwald to Lucern – visit lake Pilatus, Mt.Rigi. O/N Rothenburg

Day.6 (9th July) – Mt.Titlis full day. Any suggestion for this day? O/N Rothenburg

Day.7 (10th July) – from Lucerne to either zurich or Thalwil. Please help to decide our base for 2 nights 10th & 11th to do bernina exp

Day.8 (11th July) – Bernina Express from Chur upto Pontresina, as feel return from Tirano could be a challenge – pl help how to manage

Day.9 (12th July) – fly out from Zurich at 9am

I want to do Bernina express but somehow feel something is a miss.

Question is –

1. What is the best option to stay overnight on 10th & 11th?

2. On Bernina route want to see the Via duct. will they be visible till Pontresina.

3. If we travel all the way to Tirano, then can we get a return train to Zurich or Thalwil.

Need your expert guidance.

Thanks,

Farida

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2018 at 18:37:39 #882592

Hi Farida,

1. Perhaps Chur? or St. Gallen to get you a little close than Zurich or Thalwil.
    2. The viaduct is at Filisur so before Pontresina – see about the route here.
    3. Yes, no problem to take a regional train back to Zurich (follows the same Bernina Express route)
    4. Day 4 is quite long…perhaps skip Lausanne? Just visit Montreux and Lake Geneva?
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 18:59:05 #882593

Thanks Lucas, for your suggestions.

1. When I checked St.Gallen, it’s far from chur almost 4hrs. Did I put wrong place?

To be on the safer side, I am thinking of staying at Zurich on 10th and 11th night, as 12th we have 9am flight departure.

To go chur, we will take morning Brian from Zurich-chur and take connextico Bernina express.

2. We are thinking of going all the way to Tirano, and take return Bernina at 2pm and get down at Alp grum, pontresina and St.Moritz. look up the place and then return zurich byevening. Is that doable.

3. Day.4 we will skip Lausanne and enjoy Montreux and lake Geneva.

thanks,

farida

hi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 19:28:40 #882594

Hi Farida,

1. Yes, you must have put something in funny. It should be under 1.5 hours to Chur from St. Gallen on the timetable.
    2. You won’t get to Pontresina until about 16:30 so a late start to see Alp Grum and St. Moritz and then Zurich. It is really too much I think – be sure to use the timetable to plan it out and see if it can work for you
    3. 🙂

Cheers!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 3:49:54 #882595

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for a quick revert.

1. Yes I will check on St.Gallen and look for good budget deals.

Any suggestions for where to stay in St.Gallen.

2. For Bernina express, we have 2 options. Either go all the way to Tirano and return back with break at Poschiavo and Alp Grum,

Or

Travel on Bernina express from Chur to Poschiavo (arrive 12.01) and then take return with local train stopping in between.

What option as per you we should go for. Is it more scenic from Poschiavo to Tirano or we can give it a miss.

Thanks dear for all the trouble,

Farida

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 6:16:14 #882596

Hi Farida,

>> For Bernina express, we have 2 options. Either go all the way to Tirano and return back with break at Poschiavo and Alp Grum Or Travel on Bernina express from Chur to Poschiavo (arrive 12.01) and then take return with local train stopping in between. What option as per you we should go for. Is it more scenic from Poschiavo to Tirano or we can give it a miss.

If you only go as far as Poschiavo, you will miss the circular viaduct at Brusio, which is one of my favourite parts of the journey (see attached photos taken from the train). You will also miss the picturesque Lago di Poschiavo (Lake Poschiavo).

Stopping at Alp Grüm on the way back would be nice. There is a wonderful view from there, and a restaurant in the railway station (photo also attached).

I don’t know that you would have time to stop at Poschiavo as well as Alp Grüm. The only way to find out is to use the Swiss Timetable to see what is possible, given the frequency of trains, how long you want to stay at the places at which you alight, and how late you are prepared to return to your accommodation. I’ve lost track of where you are heading at the end of the day. Sunset will be around 21:20.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 6:48:50 #882597

Hi Farida,

We don’t yet have St. Gallen suggestions on this website but I would suggest hotelscombined to search for some.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 9:27:50 #882598

Hi Lucas,

at St.Gullen the hotels on the site are all 150euro plus, which I feel are high as we are out the whole day exploring. I will check on Airbnb.

Your idea of St.Gullen is giving me one more opportunity to explore the beauty of switzerland 🙂 From Lucerne to St.Gullen is a very scenic route by Voralpen Express, which we can do if we get accomodation at St.Gullen. OR we check out with our luggage & take train till St.Gullen & return back to Zurich.

Lucerne to St.Gullen is 2hrs, & St.Gullen to Zurich is 1 hr.12mnts. Is this possible with Luggage?

For Bernina express, we go with your advise & take train till Tirano & then return back half way Bernina & then local rail.

As we have STP, want to do maximum travel to see the scenic beauty.

Thanks,

Farida

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 11:24:45 #882599

Note it is St. Gallen not Gullen. 🙂

Sure, it isn’t a problem taking luggage on any train here. There may be room near your seat (above, below or behind) or luggage racks / space at one end or both of each carriage.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 12:10:57 #882600

Thanks Lucas.

Yes it’s St.Gallen. it was a typo error.

Thanks,

Farida.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2018 at 17:36:50 #882601

Hi Lucas,

I was going on the site to see what ticket we need to buy for Jungfrau with our STP.

There are 4 options & it looks confusing. please help with the right choice.

1. Jungfraujoch – Top of Europe, from 91 CHF.

2. Jungfraujoch, round trip CHF 100.80

3. Jungfraujoch – connecting ticket for GA & Swiss Travel Pass, from Grindelwald & to Wengen, from

CHF 91.50

4. Jungfraujoch – connecting ticket for GA & Swiss Travel Pass, from Wengen & to Grindelwald, from CHF 91.50

5. Jungfraujoch – connecting ticket for GA & Swiss Travel Pass, from Grindelwald Grund & to Wengen, CHF89

6. Jungfraujoch – connecting ticket for GA & Swiss Travel Pass, from Wengen & to Grindelwald Grund, from CHF89.

Please help with the correct ticket.

Thanks,

Farida

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2018 at 0:19:12 #882602

Hi Farida,

>> I was going on the site to see what ticket we need to buy for Jungfrau with our STP. There are 4 options & it looks confusing …

>> 3. Jungfraujoch – connecting ticket for GA & Swiss Travel Pass, from Grindelwald & to Wengen, from CHF 91.50

>> 4. Jungfraujoch – connecting ticket for GA & Swiss Travel Pass, from Wengen & to Grindelwald, from CHF 91.50

>> Please help with the correct ticket.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, you travel free as far as Wengen or Grindelwald.

• If you are going up via Grindelwald and down via Wengen, choose option 3.
    • If you are going up via Wengen and down via Grindelwald, choose option 4.

I have attached a diagram of the route.

If I understand correctly, you are just checking prices, not actually buying a ticket in advance – is that right? I mention that because it’s not a good idea to buy a ticket until the day of travel (or the day before) when you know that the weather will be good enough to get clear views. Tickets, once bought, are not refundable in case of bad weather (or any other reason).

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘8 days Switzerland July itinerary – doable?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.