8 days, Zurich, Geneva in June, suggest base

• Moosa
    Participant
    2 posts
    22 May 2022 at 16:41:41 #827262

Hi all,

I am planning an 8-day trip to Switzerland. I’ve been researching a lot on this site and other travel itineraries, but there is so much to choose from! I could use some help with finalizing an itinerary or getting at least some advice on locations to visit or activities.

• Traveling in June for 1 week
    • Landing in Zurich then flying out of Geneva
    • It’s just me and my wife
    • We’d like to mostly focus on scenic activities and visiting nature sites
    • Would prefer commuting by train to save the hassle of driving
    • Very open to train and boat tours
    • Not interesting in intense hiking, but very open to adventures like Frakigaudi, Grindewald walking or paragliding
    • Would like to visit old towns along the way, but no more than 1-2 days
    • No preference for place to stay, but definitely less base towns if possible.
    • We do not drink so not much interest in drinking/ night life culture

I was thinking of using Lucerne or Interlaken as a base town (or even both?), but I could use your guys help, based on my interests and facts above.

Thanks,

Moosa

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2022 at 23:10:07 #942169

You basically have two chioices:

1) visit all the ‘famous’ places – as per just about every visitor this site (the ‘usual suspects’ being Luzern area, Jungfrau area and Zermatt)

2) visit some other parts of Switzerland and miss some of the tourist crowds

If you want leisurely hiking, consider walking in lower altitude Switzerland, the Jura mountains or the Appenzell region. I spent a week in a rented house near Appenzell a few years ago and we could walk form the house across lovely meadows, lower hills and some higher mountains, plus visiting the Appenzell brewery. The Appenzell region has one of the best ‘tourist visitor cards’ (ie those issued if you spend a long enough stay in one piece of accommodation. This would give you a wide variety of leisure activities free or discounted.

Anna
    6382 posts
    23 May 2022 at 4:21:56 #942170

Hi Moosa,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for joining MySwissAlps.

Based on your plans and interests, both Lucerne and Interlaken make ideal base for your trip. My personal suggestion would be to head straight to Lucerne from Zurich on the first day and spend a few nights here. In Lucerne, you can explore the city and go on lake cruises and plan mountain excursions to Rigi, Pilatus or Titlis and take the Voralpen Express to St Gallen. You can find additional activities in and around Lucerne here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lucerne/activities

Your next base Interlaken also has lots to offer: http://www.myswissalps.com/interlaken/activities. You can plan excursions to the mountains in the Jungfrau region and plan boat trips on Lake Thun and Lake Brienz. You can also plan day trips to Bern, Montreux and Zermatt.

For more ideas, have a look at these sample itineraries: http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/doityourself/sampleitineraries

Be sure to check out the information about railpasses here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses

Hope this gets you started.

Regards,

Anna

Moosa
    Participant
    2 posts
    23 May 2022 at 17:37:30 #942171

Hi Anna,

Yes very helpful. I think we’ll be doing basically this! 3 days Lucerne, 3 days in Interlaken, then the last night just head over to Geneva and keep it simple and relaxing so we could fly out easily the next morning.

Generally, is each mountain excursion a day activity in itself? e.g. In Lucerne, wouldMt Rigi require one full day? Or do people group together a couple within a day? It’d be nice to see a few, but I also don’t want to burn us out.

Thanks,

Moosa

Anna
    6382 posts
    23 May 2022 at 18:27:20 #942172

Hi Moosa,

A mountain excursion can be a full or a half-day trip depending on your plans. If you’re planning a r ound trip to Rigi (train to Arth Goldau- cogwheel train – boat from Vitznau to Lucerne), you might need more than half a day for this. Check out the things you can do at Rigi. If you plan to do more than 1 activities, then you might need the whole day.

It’s fairly common to combine 1 – 2 mountains/ destinations in 1 day. If you have a railpass such as the Swiss Travel Pass, it actually makes sense to see and travel to as many places as you can. It’s a personal choice though so it’s entirely up to you.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘8 days, Zurich, Geneva in June, suggest base’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.