8 days Zurich, Lucerne, Wengen and Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2019 at 1:08:14 #822343

Greetings fellow travelers-

We will be coming to Switzerland for 8 days at the end of July/Beginning of August. We take an overnight flight , arriving in Zurich@ 10:00 am on Friday. We also fly out of Zurich the following Saturday, mid-day. Our itinerary includes some time in Zurich, Lucerne (Mt. Pilatus) , Wengen (Bernese Oberland)and Zermatt. We have been debating how many days/nights at each stop and in what order.

At this point we intend on heading to Lucerne the day we arrive ( 1 night), visit Mt. Pilatus the following day and then head to Wengen in the afternoon/evening if possible. We would then spend 3 nights in Wengen and then head to Zermatt, spending 2 nights and then head to Zurich for 2 nights, then home

What do you all think? Would you spend less/more time in any of the places mentioned and/or stop and stay in one additional place, perhaps on the way back to Zurich? Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 June 2019 at 8:08:35 #915536

Hi Peckvt,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Personally I would not spend nights in Zurich unless your return flight leaves very early. The other towns and areas have a lot to offer. You could easily spend a week in Zermatt and two or more in Wengen and Lucerne. So I’d add those night to Lucerne and Wengen probably. Or to Zermatt if seeing the Matterhorn is a priority, as good weather is not a guarantee in the mountains.

You can see Zurich for a few hours on your way to/from Lucerne. Of course if you have specific goals in Zurich it’s perfectly fine to stay there.

For things to do, hotel suggestions and more, please see:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2019 at 15:26:09 #915537

Thank you. So would you recommend the first two nights in Lucerne, then head to a Wengen for 3 nights and then head to Zermatt for remaining 3 nights? Only issue is that we would wake up in Zermatt on our last day and we have a 1:30 pm flight in Zurich. What do you think? Would it make better sense to be closer to Zurich for flight home? What order would you do it? Perhaps stay in a 4th location closer to Zurich for last night? Thx again.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    19 June 2019 at 15:36:10 #915538

If you reverse your place of stay and last stop can be luzern. Zurich airport is an hour away from luzern. If you share your plan for hiking and sightseeing, forum members can suggest better

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2019 at 1:13:37 #915539

Thank you all for the suggestions. I also read the piece by Kim Harley about Wengen, which was helpful. We did reverse our itinerary, but decided to stay one night in Zurich – our first night, as we will have just arrived from an overnight flight and we have never been to Zurich. WHERE WOULD YOU EAT and WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN ZURICH IF YOU WERE ONLY THERE ONE DAY?

Our second day we will travel to Wengen for three nights, then Zermatt for two nights, then on to Lucerne for two nights and then train to Zurich airport. After reading about the different train passes, and doing the math, we decided to buy 2nd class Swiss travel passes for 8 days– seem like they are more flexible than the half fare card and come with more lifts, etc. I just booked through RAIL EUROPE and received $100 off promotion, which was nice. However, I got an email saying:

“We wanted to advise you that your booking is currently being processed. One of our experienced Travel Consultants will be contacting you within 5-7 business days. Urgent orders for travel within 2 weeks will be processed within 1-2 business days. A summary of your booking can be found below. Best regards, The Rail Europe Team”

Is this normal procedure? Am I being scammed?

Thanks. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2019 at 5:12:04 #915540

Hello Peckvt,

You’ll find enough nice things to do in Zurich for one day/night. The old town and the lake are worth visiting, and there’s also some close-by mountains/hills you could visit if this is of interest.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich
    http://www.myswissalps.com/la kezurich

As I am a Swiss resident and can’t order a Swiss Travel Pass I can’t answer the question about the email your received. Do keep us updated, however, on how the situation develops.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass

Best,
    Steph

• The thread ‘8 days Zurich, Lucerne, Wengen and Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.