8day Swiss itinerary with travel pass or half-fare

• Yvette17
    Participant
    19 posts
    17 May 2017 at 3:38:37 #811849

Hello again. I’ve been trying to map out a decent 8 day itinerary and would appreciate comments about this from the forum. We are two adults & one youth..

July 3 .. arrive Zurich, go straight to Luzern , visit old town at Luzern, museums, maybe Mt Rigi

July 4… day trip to Mt Titlis ( is this worth doing even if we are already spending some time in Wengen?)

July 5 .. train to Wengen , late afternoon and evening Wengen

July 6…simple hiking in Wengen

July 7.. train to Montreux, Jazz Festival in the evening

July 8… Montreux, Chillon castle, Lausanne, Vevey, possibly Rochers de Naye, Jazz Festival in evening

July 9… daytrip to Gruyeres, or other nearby areas(any suggestions?)

July 10.. last day in Montreux … ….train to Geneva and store luggage to walk around Geneva before evening flight, or just stay in Montreux area for last minute shopping

I’ve been thru many of the threads and I’m a bit overwhelmed with all he information. Our time is rather short and so we would have to make the most of it.

Would it be wise to get the Swiss travel pass or just the Half fare card, given the above basic travel plan? Tried to do the math but maybe someone with more experience with these places can give a realistic view of what’s involved beyond the cost computations.

Thank you for any advice!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    17 May 2017 at 12:07:19 #863431

Hi Yvette17!

An 8 day Swiss Travel Pass and a Swiss Half Fare Card may be pretty similar cost-wise in your case. I expect the Swiss Half Fare Card to turn out slightly cheaper, but the only way to tell is to make detailed calculations indeed. Note that it all depends on the final details of your schedule. For example:

• if you do visit Rigi on July 3, it will be fully covered by a Swiss Travel Pass;
    • if you opt for Pilatus instead of Titlis on July 4: Pilatus is entirely covered by your Swiss Travel Pass;
    • if you intend to visit the cheese and chocolate factories during your day trip to Gruyères, the entrance would be for free with the Swiss Travel Pass;
    • it matters what exact trips you make on July 8, and whether or not urban transportation in Lausanne/Vevey/Montreux is needed.

In case of a minor price difference I’d definitely pick the Swiss Travel pass for its ease of use. Also, mind that in case weather is bad and you have to adjust your plans and/or visit more museums, the Swiss Travel Pass provides more flexibility.

Some further tips:

• as for Titlis: I do think it’s worth it. Each mountain is different and has its own charm. As mentioned Pilatus would be the cheaper alternative if you use a Swiss Travel Pass. Also it’s closer to Lucerne and requires less traveling time. Yet another alternative would be a boat trip over Lake Lucerne (free with a Swiss Travel Pass as well);
    • July 8 would be very full if you intend to visit all these places. If I were you, I’d focus on Montreux, the Chillon Castle and Rochers-de-Naye if skies are clear. You could maybe add a short boat trip over the lake. That’s just fine for one day;
    • during your Gruyères visit you may want to have a look at the cheese factory and the chocolate factory.
    Yvette17
    Participant
    19 posts
    19 May 2017 at 8:40:35 #863432

Thanks for the info Annika, yes I realized that July 8 would be too heavy after I sent the post

do you think I should just visit Lausanne, Vevey instead of Gruyeres?

Will probably be taking yoir suggeston on Rigi and Pilatus . Titlis is not covered by he travel pass?

is rochers de naye worth visiting , given that it’s a bit far and we have limited time ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2017 at 9:26:55 #863433

Hi Yvette17,

I think Gruyeres is a nice trip and I’d would check out the chocolate and cheese factories there over Lausanne (my personal opinion).

The Swiss Travel Pass covers 50% of the ticket from Engelberg to Mt. Titlis. Read about where the Swiss Travel Pass covers here.

Considering the other mountains you have planned I would (again personal opinion) pass on Rochers de naye.

Lucas

Yvette17
    Participant
    19 posts
    19 May 2017 at 9:55:53 #863434

Yes I thought so, re Rochers De Naye. Thanks for your insights Lucas!

• The thread ‘8day Swiss itinerary with travel pass or half-fare’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.