9 Day trip to Switzerland by train in July

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2017 at 9:57:59 #812372

Hello,

Our family will be travelling in Switzerland for about 10 days in July. We will be staying the first few days with friends in Zurich, after which we plan to travel from Zurich to Geneva using a Swiss Rail Pass. Several friends have recommended renting a car and driving but after doing a bit more research, we have opted to use the efficient swiss transport system. We may rent a car the last two days. I have tentatively planned the following itinerary once we are on our own. We want to get the 8 Day Swiss Flex pass or the 8 Day Swiss Pass as we will be using it when we travel with our friends.

Zurich – Lucerne – Montreux – Geneva

Day 1&2 Zurich-Lucerne

Day 3 Golden Pass from Lucerne to Montreux

Day 4 Montreux Chocolate Train

Day 5 Train or Car from Montreux to Geneva.

Questions:

1. How does the family pass work? Our children are 14, 12, 10 and 6 but our 14 year old will be at a summer camp in Geneva for most of our trip and will only join us for the last few days. Should we register him as part of our family pass from the beginning or just register him when and if he joins us?
    2. Do I need to make a separate booking and reservation for the Golden Pass Train?
    3. Do I need to make a separate booking for the Chocolate Train or is this covered with the Swiss Flex Pass? Should I reserve now?
    4. Because we are travelling with kids, I want to limit the number of times we move and change hotels but are there any must see places on this route? Should I opt to stay only one day in Lucerne and the next day in Interlaken instead of two nights in Lucerne? Or is my current itinerary fine?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 June 2017 at 10:26:00 #865639

Hi Tokyomom,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Please note that the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex costs CHF 44 extra as compared to 8 consecutive days of the Swiss Travel Pass. You may not need either of these during the first days in Zurich if you stay in that area only. There are local passes for that, so you could start using your Swiss Travel Pass once you leave for Lucerne.

1. Please see myswissalps.com/ swissfamilycard for the details. You’d better register the 14 year old too. It does not cost anything extra and that way he can join in whenever he wants.

2. At most you could buy optional reservations for the Zweisimmen to Montreux leg. Please see myswissalps.com/golden pass/tickets.

3. Yes, you need to book this as soon as possible. You will get a discount with your pass. If you travel on your own using the regular trains it is all free with your pass, including the entrance to the cheese and chocolate factories.

4. Switzerland is packed with wonderful areas and things to do, but I can understand you’d rather limit the number of hotel changes. Since it’s only 5 days (after Zurich) I think two base towns is fine. Yes, the Jungfrau Region is great, but you just can’t see it all.

Does this help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2017 at 13:22:52 #865640

Thank you so much Arno. Your advice is extremely helpful. I will get on purchasing the travel passes! Maybe we’ll just have to make another trip to Switzerland next year!

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 June 2017 at 13:42:33 #865641

You’re very welcome! Please see here for where to buy the passes. If you decide to buy from the “official” Swiss Railways webshop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en then you will need to tick the “Family Card” box for each child. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list to get your passes e-mailed.

Yes, do come back 🙂 There is much more to see.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2017 at 0:34:53 #865642

Thank you again! We’re all set for our trip. This is a fantastic forum!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2017 at 3:50:23 #865643

Hello again,

Regarding the Chocolate Train, would you recommend visiting on your own using the regular train lines or the Chocolate train?

Thank you!

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 June 2017 at 7:16:44 #865644

Hi Tokyomom,

The Chocolate Train is running on the same train line as the regular trains. The difference is that there is guidance and some chocolate tasting on the train. Also it’s a luxurious historical train. I’m sure it’s a nice experience but in the end you’ll see the same things. I did it on my own.

• The thread ‘9 Day trip to Switzerland by train in July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.