9 day Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken and Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2019 at 23:01:10 #824160

Hi Friends,

I am arriving to zurich on 8th Nov 8 am and will be there for 2 days, later will move to lucerne for 2 days , later to interlaken for 2 days , and geneva for 2 days.

Please do advise which is the best panaromic trains i can choose with best pass, or even boat ride / cog wheel. I am visiting with family with 6 year old kid. Please advise.as i am staying in most regions will prefer decent travel in and around with scenic and imp places to vist.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    12 October 2019 at 9:37:31 #923516

hi Mmhs98,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Travelling on the panoramic trains is the perfect way to enjoy Switzerland’s natural beauty. These trains usually have wide windows and comfortable seating, some are equipped with audio guides. The premium ones need seat reservation but not all. There are also plenty of scenic boat rides you can take independently. Most of these rides are ‘free’ if you have the Swiss Travel Pass. We usually recommend getting the Swiss Travel Pass if you plan to travel to a few cities across a few regions in Switzerland.

See the links below fo rmore information

Having an itinerary would be very helpful to decide which rail pass works better. This page sets out in details how to plan your trip: http://www.myswissalps.com/pl antrip/doityourself/co mposeitinerary

Other useful links for your trip:
    Zurich: http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich/activities
    Lucerne: http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities
    Interlaken: http://www.myswissalps.com/in terlaken/activities
    Geneva: http://www.myswissalps.com/ge neva/activities

Regards,

Anna

gramels
    Participant
    80 posts
    12 October 2019 at 13:11:03 #923517

For your Lucerne stay you could consider to stay in Vitznau Mittlerschwanden, directly at Mount Rigi, easy to get on top of Rigi with Rigi Railway and the station behind the houses and to Lucerne by boat.

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 October 2019 at 15:26:51 #923518

Hi Gramels,

I know you like Mittlerschwanden a lot 🙂 But I don’t think it’s relevant to people considering Lucerne. Mittlerschwanden is wonderful, but remote and very different from a central transport hub and historical town like Lucerne. If people are looking for a relatively isolated place on Mount Rigi, that’s when places like Mittlerschwanden, Rigi Kaltbad and Rigi Scheidegg become relevant.

gramels
    Participant
    80 posts
    12 October 2019 at 16:17:14 #923519

Hi Arno,

I tend to disagree.

Vitznau and Mittlerschwanden are great for people who want to explore Mount Rigi & (Lake) Lucerne. It combines a great view while being in Vitznau in 3 Minutes at the boat station to take the boat to Lucerne and at the same time hop on a train to the top.

Great starting point for train travellers with Swiss travel pass. It makes a good stop over for a 2-3 days stay without changing beds every night. But, yes, it does not feature bars and nightlife. 😉

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 October 2019 at 16:50:25 #923520

Hi Gramels –

Arno made the point that I was about to make. I speak from the experience of about 20 years of staying at Rigi Kaltbad., as well as elsewhere at at least 6 other scenic locations around the lake.

Specifically Flüelen, Beckenried, Morschach, Brunnen, Seelisberg, Vitznau, Rigi Staffelhöhe……

If a poster’s goals include making day trips from Luzern to places such as Titlis, the Emmental, or even the long haul to the Jungfrau region, the extra journey time at each end of the trip can take 3 hours away from the available time for the desired trip.

I certainly agree that the area deserves time spent at locations such as you suggest. That is a separate issue and has to be traded off against travel convenience and time to reach the major rail links.

Slowpoke

gramels
    Participant
    80 posts
    12 October 2019 at 16:56:42 #923521

sure, Mittlerschwanden as central hub for Jungfrau, Pilatus, Titlis, … is not feasible and does not make sense.

But a common trip is eg Wengen to explore Jungfrau region, a day in Lucerne, a late boat to Vitznau, a day at Rigi, continue next to ZRH or to Tessin.

Especially on train passes.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 October 2019 at 23:39:48 #923522

<<“a day at Rigi, continue next to ZRH or to Tessin.”>>

Certainly. And, one can get the bus along the shoreline from Vitznau to pick up trains for the Gotthard at Brunnen.

However, another choice would be to come down from the Rigi to Arth Goldau, and stay somewhere on less scenic on that side, in order to be on or near the main north-south rail axis between the Ticino and Zürich or Basel via Luzern).

By the way, did you ever explore the underground WWII fortress in Vitznau, while you were in the area?

Slowpoke

gramels
    Participant
    80 posts
    13 October 2019 at 4:07:05 #923523

sure I did go to Festung Vitznau

fascinating, if you are in military history or historic constructions in the rocks

http://www.festung-vitznau.ch/www/en/03_v isits_pub_en.php

• The thread ‘9 day Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken and Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.