Guidance for 9 days in Switzerland late May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 7:19:34 #816090

We are a family with 2 kids visiting Switzerland starting from May 31. Since I am coming to Basel for Business conference, we have planned for a sudden short vacation. Need your suggestions on the below itinerary:

May 31 – Early Morning landing in Zurich. Shift 2 Basel by train and stay there for 2 nights.

June 2 – Shift to Lucerne. Stay there for 3 nights (Visit Mt. Titlis, Rigi and explore Lucerene and other towns)

June 5 – Shift to Zermatt from Lucerne (Stay there for 1 night and see Matterhorn)

June 6 – Travel to Montreux and stay for 2 nights (Explore the Cholocate / Cheese Factory, Chillon Castle, etc)

June 8 – Fly from Geneva

I need your suggestions on the following:

1. Any suggestions to improve the above itinearary?’

2. Any place worth visiting which can be included? I have skipped Jungfrau due to higher cost and don’t want to travel much with kids. Is it the right decision?

3. I am exploring to go to Rhine Falls on May 31 after landing at the Zurich Airport at 6: 45 am since I wont be coming to Zurich again. I am thinking of dropping my major luggage and can pick it from Basel. So I am exploring if I should do Zurich Airport – Rhine Falls – Reach Basel by late afternoon / evening. Is this doable?

Your inputs would be highly useful. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 17:56:37 #885779

Hi Pavan Shah and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Looks like a nice itinerary. For further suggestions on activities in those towns try there links: Basel, Zurich, Lucerne, Zermatt & Montreux.
    2. IF you are looking for a mountain experience around Jungfraujoch, try the Schilthorn. It is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. Have you looked into rail passes yet? Read through this link for help: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass
    3. Yes that can work. Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan the trip between Zurich airport and Rheinfalls and then to Basel.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 2:45:28 #885780

Hi

I am doing a 10 day trip around the same dates. Thug might want to consider buying combo passes from Swiss tours India which gives you the Swiss travel pass and a few mountain excursions. Seems quiet reasonable in terms of pricing. Do consider JungFrau and or Titlis or Glacier 3000. Would be memorable experience as you get snow year round and memorable for kids. After Lucerne perhaps try staying at interlaken before going to Montreux. Apologies for the short hand. All the best!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 3:44:12 #885781

For the last 2 nights in Montreux, it is difficult to find a reasonable priced Hotel which is still available. There are options in Vevey – Should that be considered? I was planning to visit Montreux from Zermatt and from Montreux to Geneva Airport. Plan to go to Castle, Vineyard, Cheese & Chocolate Factory, etc. Any suggestions?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 3:52:03 #885782

Thanks Lucas and Chitanbhans. While I am exploring the suggestions given by you, Can u please help me with this:

I am not able to get the names of museum (in English) where the entry is free with Swiss Rail Pass. Any help.

My tentative travel route for the 8 days:

Zurich – Rhinefalls – Basel – Lucerne – Zermatt – Montreux / Vevey

Considering the route should I buy the 8 day Swiss pass? Will be visiting Titlis, Rigi, Matterhorn, Gornergrat, and a few museums.

Will this route cover some of the most beautiful routes in Swiss or u suggest some detours?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 May 2018 at 3:56:03 #885783

For museums look at http://www.museumspass.ch/en/ where-to-use-my-museum-pass/. There are two PDFs listing participating museums. One is in museum order the other is in regional order. Can;t help you with an English translations though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 3:59:44 #885784

Hi

the 8 days Swiss pass definitely makes sense. From Montreux you should do a day trip to Glacier 3000 where there are discounts for the Swiss pass and kids below 9i think are free. It’s similar to Titlis but just less crowded I guess. Vevey or villienveux makes sense. But everything is expensive nevertheless there. I am in Montreux between 4th and 7th June. Then I go to Geneva on 7th and then leave from Geneva on 8 th morning for Mumbai.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 10:32:50 #885785

Lucas / Rockoster:

I am getting lil confused about the trip to Rhine Falls. Train travel for airport is from Zürich Flughafen to Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall via Neuhausen or Winterthur. But since I have to go to Basel in return, the train are from Zurich Main Station. I had thought of using lockers for luggage storage at Flughafen or the Airport. So does that mean I have to take a de tour to get my luggage or take a de tour in the morning before going to waterfall so that my luggage is stored at Main Station. Thanks for all the guidance.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 May 2018 at 10:47:19 #885786

There are direct trains from the airport to Basel so you can arrange whatever permutation works best for you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 10:15:21 #885787

Hello

Can I buy the 8 day Swiss Rail pass from Zurich Airport? Can I pay in cash?

What will be the procedure and cost for renting lockers at Zurich HB?

Many Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 10:50:47 #885788

Hi Pavan,

It is easiest to buy the Swiss Travel Pass online – retailers here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price

That way you can hop on the first train when you arrive without buying tickets or passes at a rail office (and waiting in line). You also will have an electronic backup – so you can print one again in case you lose your first copy.

Lockers cost about 7chf / 24hr and you’ll need coins to pay for them when you arrive

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 10:57:22 #885789

Thanks a lot Lucas for the quick response.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 11:29:53 #885790

Any suggestions on route to take to Zermatt from Lucerne? Is there a way whereby I can take a route on Glacier Express if it is worth the longer time?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 16:04:37 #885791

You could travel from Lucerne to Andermatt and then on the Glacier Express to Zermatt.

Another option would be Lucerne to Zermatt via Spiez and Kandersteg taking the Lötschberg Regio Express. Both routes are quite scenic!

• The thread ‘Guidance for 9 days in Switzerland late May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.