Stay in Murren only, or also Zermatt or Montreux?

Stay in Murren only, or also Zermatt or Montreux?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Mkatie68
Mkatie68
1 post
Feb 8, 2018 - 6:01 PM

Family of 6, including 4 teenagers, arrive in Zurich early on July 2 and have 9 nights to spend. The plan is to go directly to Murren but I'm unsure how many nights we should spend there. I am considering 5-6, then traveling either to Zermatt or Lake Geneva for a 1-2 nights, and then finishing with 2 nights in Lucern from where we will take a morning train to the Zurich airport for our flight home. Can I have recommendations on if we should go to Zermatt or Montreux on Lake Geneva? Or should we just spend 7 nights in Murren instead?

Lucas
Lucas
5659 posts
expert &
Feb 8, 2018 - 7:44 PM in reply to Mkatie68

Hi mkatie68 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The towns of Mürren, Montreux, Zermatt and Lucerne are great places to stay. Deciding on how long to stay in each is personal preference. What are you planning to do while you are here? If you are hiking and want to spend most of your time in the mountains I'd stick with Mürren and then Zermatt. Montreux is a nice town on the lake with nearby chocolate and cheese factories and of course vineyards so it is tempting in its own right!

I'd travel via Montreux in any case from Zermatt to Lucerne so you can take the Golden Pass route.

Let us know more about your plans and we can give you more advice!

kim11
kim11
406 posts
top member
Feb 8, 2018 - 7:49 PM in reply to Mkatie68

My recommendation would be to stay the 7 nights in the Bernese Oberland, either Mürren or take a look at Wengen as well. Wengen is a bit larger therefore has a wider selection of restaurants, food shops, etc and is a bit easier to get in and out of making it a good base for day trips in the region.

There are a couple of rules of thumb when traveling in Switzerland: 1. Two nights in a base = one day in that base. 2. Every time you change a base you lose a day with all of the hotel & transport logistics, packing/unpacking, and so on. Taking three bases in 9 nights means way too much moving around with not much time to actually experience the place.

There is more than enough to do from a Mürren or Wengen base to keep you very occupied for a week. We have been 19 times, usually never less than 2 weeks at a time. One year we stayed for three months and never ran out of things to do!

Teens will totally adore the area. In addition to hiking and biking there are all sorts of action sports like tobaggon runs, zip lines, trotti bikes, and on and on.

For much more information about the area see the series of PDFs at

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

AlanPrice
AlanPrice
177 posts
Feb 9, 2018 - 7:11 PM

Hi

I agree with Kim, pick one place and stay there for a week. Train travel can be an adventure in itself, but i prefer to slow down and savour my surroundings and you can't really do that if you are always on the move. My personal preference is for Grindelwald, which is busier than either Wengen or Muerren which are car-free, but in my opinion is slightly better positioned for hiking, depending on how adventurous you want to be. Whatever you choose, you're going to have a great time.

Alan

leora
leora
7 posts
Feb 10, 2018 - 8:28 PM

hi

Having just returned from 4 days in murren, which is enchanting and a wonderland ( at least in the winter). we did hike around murren in the snow, and can only imagine how lovely it must be also in the warmer weather. its true that it is a quieter town, but thats exactly what makes it so special. and there are still enough restaurants and shops in my opinion, including a coop supermarket to fill up on what you need during the day. we stayed at a hotel but you may look into some kind of apt or house rental. also, there is a sports center with a swimming pool there which may be nice for you and the teenagers.

in sum, highly recommended

leora

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018