9 nights Switzerland 11 pax itinerary help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 10:45:54 #860784

thanks lucas

once we are visiting matterhorn, titlis and pilatus i think there is no point visitng rigi

stanserhorn visit is a better idea and a different experience, what do you say

i have planned a lucerne lake boat trip while we go to mount pilatus, hope thats ok

can we cover any portion of bernina express train when we go from lucerne to st moritz

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 17:03:12 #860785

Yes, you can cover a portion from either Chur to St. Moritz or Davos to St. Moritz.
    You can see route details for the Bernina Express here and the Glacier Express here.

Depending on your date you could take the one of the panoramic trains noted above for that section of the route.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 4:41:45 #860786

thanks lucas

we have planned a trip to pilatus, matterhorn, tiltis. So whether trip to rigi makes a sense ?

we would be going to pilatus through lake lucerne boat ride, So whether a separate boat ride on lake lucerne is advised ?

visit to stans seems interesting

kindly guide me for good places in swiss for paragliding, para sailing, bungee jumping

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 6:42:56 #860787

The boat ride on the way to Mt. Pilatus may be sufficient for you yes. You can decide after that if you want to take another cruise (perhaps it will be the highlight of your trip!)

We have a list of recommended sport activities including paragliding and bungee jumping here.

Cheers!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 5:44:23 #860788

we are group of 11 pax ( 6 adults, 3 youths and 2 child )

kindly guide us

1. for how many mobile or wifi service we should carry for our group

2. kindly guide us for clothing and footwear to be carried along

3. as we have changed our itinerary to 5nights in luzern instead of 4 nights, how we should spend 5 nights in and around luzern to visit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 8:37:35 #860789
    1. If you need WiFi service on your trip you can get sim cards for everyone’s mobile phones or the TravellersWiFi which is also a great option (I’m not sure how the WiFi will be if 11 people are connected though!
    2. If you are going up into the mountains I would have reasonable walking/hiking shoes if you plan on walking on some of the mountain trails. As for clothes be prepared for quite cold temperatures (especially before July) at the top of mountains and dress in layers so you can add or remove as the temperature changes – shirts, sweaters and wind and/or waterproof jackets.
    3. I have made suggestions for Luzern on early posts on this thread that can guide you.

Cheers!

Lucas

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 April 2017 at 15:40:00 #860790

I haven’t tried the TravelersWifi with more than 2 people, but it is specifically designed to share. It was much faster than the Wifi provided by our accommodation, which is normally also shared by multiple people. I would think it even works with 11 people unless you all start downloading huge files or watch video at the same time. You could rent two of them so at least your group can split. Even then it would be an economical solution for a group of 11.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 12:24:13 #860791

thats really wonderful and economical too

whether we can buy travellers wifi on basel railway station, as we would be reaching basel from paris by tgv

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 12:28:34 #860792

thanks Lucas

help me to choose between day trip to bern and a day drip to grindelwald country side

we would be going to mount titlis, pilatus and matterhorn

given a choice of panoramic trains which one is better, glacier express or bernina express

we would be reaching zurich from zermatt in morning, kindly guide us for day trip in zurich and rhine falls

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 17:51:11 #860793

Hmm well take a look at what you can do in Bern and Grindelwald…they are very different towns with different things to do. Bern is a nice, historical town and relatively big for Switzerland. Grindelwald is a small village in the mountains and the scenery is much different.

I think I would choose whichever train is more convenient to take based on the areas I am traveling in. I thought the Glacier Express was great and I haven’t been on the Bernina Express yet. I’m quite sure you will enjoy either trip!

The Rhein Falls are an easy train trip from Zurich (about 1 hour) you can check the train schedules to plan your trip here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 12:58:46 #860794

thanks lucas

we were definitely interested for having ride on glacier and bernina express. only worry was the duration of journey. to catch bernina express we have plan to reach lugano on 03/06/17 and catch bernina on 04/06/17, to reach st moritz on 4 /6/17 night, catch glacier express from st mortiz on 05/06/17 to zermatt.

we will go to bern

we will be reaching basel on 30/05/17 by tgv from paris

we have planned to use swiss travel pass for 8 days from 01/06/17 to 08/06/17

we are suppose to reach luzern from basel on 30/05/17. we will catch a train from basel to luzern. what are the fares for train for adult and child

Annika
    7104 posts
    4 May 2017 at 14:26:45 #860795

Hi rajikadinesh,

Basel-Lucerne costs CHF 34 for adults and half of that for children (unless they’re under 6 as they’ll travel for free anyway, or over 15 as they’ll pay the regular price then). Our timetable page explains how to find fares in the timetable: myswissalps.com/timeta ble.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 15:47:51 #860796

Thanks annika

once we reach luzern can we use the train ticket for loca excursions in luzern and for local transportation

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 10:55:37 #860797

Not usually no. Tickets within Switzerland are usually from train station to train station only and you will have to buy another ticket to get to your hotel or other destination.

Sometimes international tickets are valid for the town area as well- just to get you to your final destination that day.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 12:59:25 #860798

thanks Lucas

from where should i confirm the same

as mentioned we would be reaching basel from paris by tgv train on 30/05/17

we have planned to go to luzern from basel by train on same date and would reach luzern latest by 2 pm

kindly guide from where we should buy a ticket with luzern local excursion included

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 17:51:46 #860799

Sorry, I forgot to ask, did you buy a Swiss Travel Pass for this trip or not? We talked about it before….IF you have the Swiss Travel Pass you don’t need to buy tickets to use the buses or trains in and around Luzern.

If you didn’t buy the pass you can buy a ticket from Basel to Luzern here. When in Luzern you will have to buy tickets for the buses when you are there depending on where you are going. You could buy a day pass when you are there as well so you don’t have to keep buying tickets.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2017 at 4:45:07 #860800

thanks Lucas

we are going to buy swiss travel pass for 8 days, starting on 01/06/2017 till 08/06/2017

we will be reaching basel on 30/05/17 from paris by tgv

while i visited sbb website, i found a option of city to city ticket. it includes local transportation of origin and destination city. But my attempt to buy that ticket failed. is this possible and can i buy city to city ticket at train station

Annika
    7104 posts
    6 May 2017 at 9:30:54 #860801

Hi rajikadinesh,

That’s correct, a city-city ticket includes public transportation in both towns of departure and destination. You probably don’t need travel in Basel though, so a city ticket that includes public transportation in one town (Lucerne in your case) only should be enough for you. Please find information here. This SBB page also mentions purchase options for both types of tickets. The city-city ticket seems to be available only, but as mentioned I don’t think that’s what you need anyway. The city ticket is for purchase at railway stations. Do calculate whether it’s worth the extra money. I don’t know what your plans for Lucerne are, but many local sights can be reached on foot and day trips in the wider region (e.g. Pilatus) won’t be included.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2017 at 9:59:46 #860802

thanks Annika

i tried to purchase city city ticket online on sbb site but was not able to get it

kindly guide us further

we would like to explore luzern city on foot

but we are suppose to reach our hotel continental park from train station, i was looking for local transport for same

Annika
    7104 posts
    6 May 2017 at 10:40:16 #860803

Hi rajikadinesh,

I don’t know why this purchase isn’t succesful. For questions on SBB purchases you’d best contact the SBB. Again, I don’t think you need a city-city ticket and probably not even a city ticket as you plan to explore Lucerne on foot: your hotel is right next to the railway station.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • The thread ‘9 nights Switzerland 11 pax itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.