4 day Itinerary in Switzerland - Lucerne base

4 day Itinerary in Switzerland - Lucerne base

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Kapil gosain
Kapil gosain
11 posts
May 24, 2018 - 2:01 PM

Hi,

I plan to come to Switzerland from Paris on a Saturday morning and go back to London on Tuesday night. Can you please help me with the best possible ways to get the best of swiss.

1) From my research so far the places that I think I should see are the town Lucerne, Rhine falls, Mt titlis and mt Jungfrau. Please advise if I should remove or add a few places and if all these places can be covered in day trips from my base as Lucerne

2) I thought of taking the train to Zurich from Paris but looks like Zurich may not be best places to cover these areas. Any idea on what should by base city be. Is Lucerne best placed?

Any help in an itinerary would be greatly appreciated.

Lucas
Lucas
8012 posts
expert &
May 24, 2018 - 3:08 PM in reply to Kapil gosain

Hi Kapil gosain and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. If you arrive early enough Saturday and leave late enough on Tuesday you can fit that all in.
  2. Lucerne is the best base for those trips yes. The easiest way to get there from Paris is the train to Zurich and then take another train to Lucerne.

How are you getting back to London? A flight from Zurich or Basel? I'd go to the Rheinfalls when you are coming into or out of Zurich.

Then spend 2 full days in Lucerne going into the mountains (1/2 day for Titlis and a full day to go to the Jungfraujoch).

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan your trips out & look at getting a rail pass to save you money, such as the Swiss Travel Pass.

FYI Swiss are people, Switzerland is the country. :)

Last modified on May 24, 2018 - 3:09 PM by Lucas
Kapil gosain
Kapil gosain
11 posts
May 24, 2018 - 3:22 PM in reply to Lucas

Thanks.

And thanks for my first lesson of the trip about the people and place :)

1) I plan to Leave Paris early morning by 7 or 8. The train will make me reach Zurich at around 12 and by air around 10. And Plan to leave to London by air from Zurich.

Day 1 - Saturday - Arrive at Zurich. Get the pass. Travel to Lucerne. Check in. See the local sights of Lucerne

Day 2 - Sunday - Mt titlis and boat ride in Lucerne

Day 3 - Monday - Mt Jungfraujoch - Full day

Day 4 - Tuesday - Flight back from Zurich at 8:00 PM. So check out. Go near Airport. Store luggage somewhere. Go to Rhine falls. Back to Airport and London

Based on your experience, does this look feasible ? and also most economical?

Just me and my wife. So long travels in train will not be an issue.

Thanks

Lucas
Lucas
8012 posts
expert &
May 24, 2018 - 3:39 PM in reply to Kapil gosain

Looks good here Kapil,

You can buy the Swiss Travel Pass online here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price and print it at home.
That way you have a back up copy to print out in case you lose your first copy and you don't need to wait in line that the airport office - just hop on the train you want and go.

Day 3: note that the train to Jungfraujoch from Luzern is about 4 hours each way
Day 4: There is a left luggage office at Zurich airport that will work well: https://www.myswissalp s.com/airports/zurich

Gunzel
Gunzel
145 posts
May 25, 2018 - 8:32 PM

I wonder if you might consider a more relaxed itinerary considering the short time you have available?

Every place you suggest is wonderful but you could be trying too much in such a short time. I've been to all except Titlis. But I've done part of the Titlis trip (on the train to Engelberg).

You mention your wife prefers to travel (only?) by train; you've included some boat and cableway trips in your plans?

Last modified on May 25, 2018 - 8:33 PM by Gunzel
Kapil gosain
Kapil gosain
11 posts
Jun 4, 2018 - 3:34 PM

Anything but road travel is fine..

I know I might be pushing it but am a greedy tourist :)

Are the cruises on Lake Lucerne covered by swiss rail pass?

Lucas
Lucas
8012 posts
expert &
Jun 4, 2018 - 7:48 PM in reply to Kapil gosain

Hi Kapil,

You can see the boats covered by the Swiss Travel Pass on the PDF map: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018