Where to stopover between Wengen and Chamonix?

• Mattiedog
    Participant
    18 posts
    23 July 2018 at 20:46:28 #817430

We are traveling from Wengen to Chamonix in mid September. Long train trip with several changes. We are thinking it might be nice to get off and spend a couple hours stretching our legs at some point before we head into France. Perhaps Martigny? Perhaps Sion? We will have stayed in Vevey on our way into Switzerland from Geneva. Would like a smaller place but with lockers so we can stow our luggage and where interesting walking is “right at” the train station.. Suggestions? The Vevey suggestion came from one of you so I am sure others have great ideas. Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2018 at 11:39:59 #892229

Hi Mattiedog,

I haven’t been to Martigny or Sion but I have stopped at Blausee and Brig, which is along the way usually when you make your way to Chamonix from Wengen.

Brig is a a nice town to explore and have lunch at: https://www.myswissalp s.com/brig. Explore Stockalper castle, and if you have a few hours even a visit to a thermal bath. I didn’t visit the baths but you can read about my visit to the area here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/blau see-and-brig-2-days-1-night

Going to Blausee will add some time as you have to connect in Kandersteg and take a short bus trip. Oeschinen Lake (Oeschinensee) is also near Kandersteg.

I know other members have been in Sion or Martigny and may give you ideas there as well.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    24 July 2018 at 22:12:06 #892230

I’ve done both Blausee and Oeschinensee from Kandersteg. I wouldn’t consider either an option for a short transit stop but Kandersteg is a lovely place and one could certainly enjoy a couple of hours there between trains.

• The thread ‘Where to stopover between Wengen and Chamonix?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.