A day in Locarno and Lugano from Zurich

• Srikanth_v
    Participant
    12 posts
    26 April 2018 at 10:58:36 #815544

Hi

i would like to spend a day covering Locarno and Lugano.from zurich.(may 19th)

i can leave zurich early in the morning say around 7.30 am

i would like to cover

Locarno (Pizza Grande,Castello Visconti) and Ascona

Lugano: Pizza della reforma,cathedral of st laurance and Gandria

Bellizona castle

pls let me know if this is possible to do in one day and return back to zurich same day.

also should i first cover locarno or go to lugano. i thin bellizona is some where in the middle.

Is the boat ride to gandria from lugano free with the swiss pass?

If you think there is adequate time i can cover Morcote

Thank you for taking the time to answer and pardon me if there are any spelling mistakes

Srikanth v

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

LeVoyageur
    Participant
    58 posts
    26 April 2018 at 13:41:59 #883321

Bonjour!

I think that your plan is very ambitious! It would be a very very long day spent mostly on trains…

This region is beautiful and definitely deserves more time. From Zurich, you will more than likely arrive in Ticino through Bellinzona. The castles are very close to the train station. From there, it will be either going to Locarno or Lugano. Ascona is very close to Locarno (a 15-20 minute bus ride) and Gandria is about the same from Lugano. Going to Morcote is a very good idea as this village is absolutely stunning. You can go there either by bus or boat from Lugano (in both cases, it will take you close to an hour considering schedule, waiting time and the « ride » itself. And, yes, the boats are included in the Swiss Travel Pass.

If you can only spend one day in this area, I would recommend to focus on only one city and its vicinity (for example Lugano, Gandria and Morcote or Locarno and Ascona).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 5:07:51 #883322

Hi Srikanth,

A fast, direct train will get you to Lugano in a little over 2 hours. You could return via the Gotthard Express route if you have the time and interest as well.

I’d also focus on just one town (Lugano and Gandria for example) and maybe add Mt. Bre as well. The castles of Bellinzona are a short walk from the train station as LeVoyageur notes, so if it interests you it is easy to do.

Read about my weekend in the Ticino region here for some ideas on the area.

• The thread ‘A day in Locarno and Lugano from Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.