Rainy week in Wengen in September, any advice?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2018 at 11:57:42 #818295

Hello! We are headed to Switzerland on Saturday-spending 2 nights in Lucerne, 4 nights in Wengent, and 2 nights in Zurich. The forecast is rain every day…any advice on what to do -especially in Wengen/the mountains-in bad weather? We are big hikers so I know we will go out in the rain some but if this forecast holds it will really put a damper on our holiday. 🙁 Thanks for any advice. I looked at changing the itinerary but it seems all of Switzerland will be under a rain cloud next week.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 September 2018 at 12:30:08 #895941

Hi Heather, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I wouldn’t worry just yet. Forecasts more than 2 to 3 days ahead of time are pretty much a wild guess. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather to familiarize yourself with weather patterns in the Swiss Alps, and there are links to local weather websites too. Note that if the forecast shows rain that does not mean it will rain all day. Could be 30 minutes only, and at night. Adapting your daily plans to the last minute forecasts is part of holidaying in the Alps. I can say from experience that it often works out fine. The longer you stay in one base, the better it is.

Did you check the bad weather tips on our Wengen page? http://www.myswissalps.com/we ngen

• The thread ‘Rainy week in Wengen in September, any advice?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.