Switzerland off the beaten path, part 2, days 4-6

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 19:20:17 #813033

We left Guarda and headed by regional trains to Pontresina. During the 8 minute layover we put our luggage in one of the lockers alongside the station (both our carryon’s fit in one locker for 5ch). We got back on the regional train down south, past Alp Grum, Morteretch Glacier & Diavolezza to Poschiavo…got off and turned around and got back on the waiting train north. We pushed the “Halt alf verlangen” button to stop the train at Cavaglia…and walked along the road about 1/2 mile to the Cavaglia Gletscher Garten. There were not many people so we could clamber about. Pictures are attached as I haven’t seen other info on this wonderful site about it. It was free. We live in the glaciated part of the US, but have NEVER seen anything like these interconnected potholes.

We went all the way north to St. Moritz and did the hike around the lake. The path starts right outside the train station and it took about an hour to walk. Sailboats, lupines, gorgeous houses, and just the peace of the water. Headed back to Pontresina and picked up our luggage. The “coin” they give you to put back in the luggage locker machine got stuck. A kind man came out and just poked a piece of metal in, which unlocked our locker. We headed across the street to the Youth Hostel. I have to say, after having backpacked “a while back” through most of Europe, this youth hostel was tops. The folks running the place were more than helpful…more like family. And the dinner for 17CH was …out of this world. They served us 4 courses. Walked to the Spanish Tower and St. Mary’s Church after dinner. We had a private room with a sink. And even though it was just across the street from the train station, we faced the opposite direction and never heard anything all night.

Next morning after a breakfast that was included we took the train a short distance to Punt Muragl, funicular up to Muotta Muragl and hiked to Alp Lanyard (along with about twenty 75 to 90 year olds)! It was amazing to see these folks out with their hiking poles. We heard coocoos, saw more wildflowers and gorgeous views down to St. Moritz, and the glacier at Diavolezza. After we came down on the gondolas we hopped back on the regional train and up the big gondola to Diavolezza. We could see Piz Bernina and many other peaks. Absolutely gorgeous. It appears they are trying to protect the glaciers…covering them. Then back on the train a short bit to the Morteretsch Glacier walk. It is set up so as you head down the valley they marked off (in about 20-40 year increments) how far the glacier had receded. There is a sign that says “Ice Avalanche Area”…which husband blew right by. We were watching the water pour out from this one rock wall, then the sun came out and we realized it was not rock, but ice…ice with large cracks in it. The path to that area took about 50 minutes to an hour one way. But oh so worth it. Then back on the familiar regional train to Pontresina.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2017 at 3:17:47 #868745

Hi OHGeologist,

Many thanks for a great trip report – you certainly went to some wonderful places, including, as you say, some off the beaten track.

I was interested in your comments about Pontresina Youth Hostel. I stayed in four youth hostels last year (private room with ensuite): Saas-Fee, Locarno, St Moritz and Scuol. Saas-Fee, St Moritz and Scuol were fantastic. Locarno was pretty good, but not up to the standard of the others. I’d gladly stay in any of them again.

Unfortunately your photos didn’t get attached 🙁 Perhaps they were too big. I do hope you will be able to attach them soon (and that we will also get to read Part 1 of your trip report 😉

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 21:00:36 #868746

Hi Alpenrose,

My experience with youth hostels: a little while ago = 40 years <grin>

So, I am thankful they have upgraded! But I enjoyed them back then as well.

Yes, the pictures were all more than one MB…so I will have to see what I can do. I only wanted to post ones that were really from somewhere different.

Thank you,

OhGeologist

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 7:11:40 #868747

>> My experience with youth hostels: a little while ago = 40 years <grin> So, I am thankful they have upgraded! But I enjoyed them back then as well.

Yes, me too – my backpacking days were in the 70s. Youth Hostels have come a long way since then, but they certainly provided a way of seeing Europe on the cheap!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 16:54:39 #868748

Alpenrose…wonder if we ever crossed paths back then…

Attached are pictures from Diavolezza, Morteratsch Glacier Walk and then Muottas Muragl Hike.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 17:00:57 #868749

Pictures from the Muottas Muragl Hike looking down on St. Moritz and Pontresina…toward Val Roseg. The square orange building in Pontresina is the Youth Hostel.

I believe the snow-capped one is Diavolezza as we kept watching that ridge of snow that looks like it is over a cave….expecting it to crash down…all along this hike and as well when we were at Diavolezza.

We saw cows and heard coocoo’s on this hike. We were told half way across there was a small eatery where you could get incredible Strawberry rhubarb torte…

Hiking from Muottas Muragl to Alp Landyard was more down than up, so we opted for that.

OHGeologist

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 September 2017 at 9:14:53 #868750

What a wonderful day you had! The snow capped mountain on the left in image 3 (also image 8) is Piz Palü and the one right of that is Piz Bernina, the highest in the region.

• The thread ‘Switzerland off the beaten path, part 2, days 4-6’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.