Traditional Swiss dairy in Bernese Oberland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 2:27:02 #817290

we will be traveling into the Bern Oberland region…..I would like to find a small authentic Swiss dairy making cheese with a copper kettle and wood fire, not the automatic systems or tourist attractions, just the old style. Any locations?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    16 July 2018 at 15:05:42 #891512

I’m not sure they still do it anywhere on woodfire, unless, precisely, as a tourist attraction. Maybe the Piora cheese, but that would be at Lake Ritom in Ticino.

At Alp Gental, there is a copper kettle, but the energy is electric (mind you, there is more electric energy in Haslital than firewood…)

alp-gental.ch/

alp-gental.ch/2016/05/18/2 014-alpbetrieb/#jp-carousel-2378

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 July 2018 at 17:57:03 #891513

I only know of one place…not that I know them all ;-)…- the Schaukäserei in Affoltern i. E.

emmentaler-schaukaeserei.ch/en/

They may still do it at the Alpages to make Bergkäse; all you need to do is hike up there, if you can find one.

Maybe this link will give you some clues:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/buendner-bergkaese.html

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2018 at 14:31:34 #891514

Check out Ballenberg Open Air Museum and see if they do it there.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2018 at 16:36:21 #891515

Just checked out Ballenberg for you and they do demonstrations between 11 and 1 every day except Monday using the traditional methods. See below.

The cheese dairy in Ballenberg functions on an almost daily basis. In House 1361, the Alpine Cheese Dairy from Kandersteg BE, visitors can not only look at the various bits of apparatus needed for cheesemaking but also follow the process itself as it happens. When the cheesemakers set to work the great copper cauldron begins to steam and bubble. Cheesemaking requires muscle power, know-how and patience. Those wishing to try out the result for themselves can buy fresh Ziger or a Ballenberg Mutschli. The cheesemakers at Ballenberg use old-fashioned methods, still partially in use today with the simplest means on swiss alpine pastures.

You can reach Ballenberg by bus from Brienz railway station. Use sbb timetable and enter Ballenberg as your destination. There are loads of other things to explore in the museum and it is an excellent destination for a day when mountain tops are obscured in cloud.

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 July 2018 at 16:57:24 #891516

Hi Maggie –

Nice work. I guess I should spend more time in the erea. 😉

Slowpoke

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    27 July 2018 at 9:00:31 #891517

Hi @Rodrufener,

I have just seen two places like the ones you are looking for. Not in Berner Oberland, but in central Switzerland, “near” Engelberg. I’m writing this to put the thread on top of the list, and I’ll post the details in a few hours hopefully. Busy unpacking my gear after a one week hike!

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    27 July 2018 at 12:56:02 #891518

On Alp Denalp above Melchtal, in Canton Obwalden, there is a traditional “Käserei” which can be visited. Apparently you can stay there overnight. 3 hrs hiking from Melchtal (easy), or maybe 5 hours from Engelberg: http://www.outdooractive.com/ mobile/de/bewirtschaft ete-huette/urner-alpen/alpkaeserei-denalp-storeggpass/23428133/

Another hint (Blackenalp) later.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    27 July 2018 at 16:45:51 #891519

I was at Blackenalp yesterday.

http://www.outdooractive.com/ de/bewirtschaftete-alm/urner-alpen/alpbeizli-blackenalp/19722303/

You reach the place in about 4hrs hike from Engelberg, that can be shortened by using the Fürenalp cableway. You can stay there for the night (CHF 40.00 half-pension).

They make cheese in a copper cauldron, using cooking gas as energy. They have 10 cows (in addition to the 600 heifers of the pasture). They make cheese every other day or so (not on the day I was there). On cheesing days, you can obviously see what’s going on, as they do it in the kitchen next door to the dining room. I ate cheese, for the preparation of which the milk had travelled about 30 meters. Beat that!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2018 at 18:18:15 #891520

40chf with half pension? I’m in!

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    27 July 2018 at 18:34:09 #891521

<40chf with half pension? >

Very nice Massenlager, flush toilet, hot water in the sink, no shower. Dinner: Aelpler Maggronen. Breakfast: bread and butter, jam, and, of course, cheese.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2018 at 5:57:08 #891522

Keep you full for the day’s hike for sure 🙂

Mageo
    Participant
    63 posts
    29 July 2018 at 5:12:57 #891523

Hello, we have visited a fifth generation family owned and run cheese making farm and stayed at their bnb in the Gruyeres area. It was a very special experience for us. You can read about the family on the following link.

The secret of le Gruyère d’Alpage AOP

http://www.myswitzerland.com › en-ch

Mageo

• The thread ‘Traditional Swiss dairy in Bernese Oberland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.