Report about our last minute trip to Stanserhorn!

• Shrutihegde
    Participant
    13 posts
    24 June 2018 at 12:15:59 #816853

Hello all!

Am writing this trip report to express tonnes of gratitude to the team of Myswissalps.com & to Lucas whose report on Stanserhorn made us plan a trip at the last moment (https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/stan serhorn-day-trip-from-zurich). Actually we had a day planned for Pilatus & were thinking what to do if that gets over before evening which indeed was the case. Since we had Swiss pass we were trying to look for options which are covered under Swiss pass & thats how we stumbled upon Stanserhorn. The moment I read that “Cabrio” is the first open cable car i was curious.

We started from Lucerne by train & reached Stans station which is on the way to Engelberg but the train frequency is more compared to Engelberg. From station its a walkable distance to the funicular station. The funicular itself is wooden & gives you a rustic feeling. In the next stop we changed to Cabrio & thanks to the information we had from here, took our place in the upper compartment of the double decker cabrio. The journey uphill itself was worth the efforts. Being in an open cable car was a truly exciting experience. On reaching the top we found a nice restaurant & some viewing galleries. But we choose to take the walking path around & explore the peak. We were practically all by ourselves which was pleasant as well as surprising considering the crowds of tourists we encountered in all the other peaks. On top most point there are some wooden benches & a fire was lit. A family was found to be making barbecue & having a quite picnic. We also spotted “Murmeli” which are called “Marmot” in english. My daughter loved it. Finally we descended, had some french fries & coffee at the cafe; we choose to sit in the open though, enjoying the views. We were back in Stans staion so as to take the next station to Lucerne. All in all the trip took 4 – 5 hours & its verymuch doable in a half day time. I am posting some pics we took during our trip here. Hope my report shall be of some help to the fellow tourists.

Thanks again the whole team of Myswissalps.com. You guys are doing a marvellous job. All the very best. If time permits I shall write some more tour reports of our 8 day Switzerland trip which was an unforgettable one for the three of us 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Shrutihegde
    Participant
    13 posts
    24 June 2018 at 12:28:47 #889272

Due to large size of the photos I am not able to upload them here. Each photo is more than 2 MB & I am not able to upload anything more than 1 MB here. Sorry for the same.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2018 at 15:25:54 #889273

Thanks Shruti for the details on your trip! Sounds like a great afternoon/evening!

Yes, sorry to say 1mb is the max size for upload. If you don’t have Photoshop or similar and you have the time, try: http://www.picresize.c om/ to shrink them down.

All the best!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 5:15:33 #889274

Thanks for this interesting trip report! That’s a good tip about being able to see some Murmeli up there!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2018 at 7:10:27 #889275

Hi Shruthi!

Good to know that you had a great trip! We are planning our trip to Switzerland, staying in Wengen in the first week of July. Just wanted to know about the weather there…was it very cold when you were in the Jungfrau region? Do we need to take a lot of warm clothes? or is it similar to Bangalore in winter? Convey my regards to Vijay!!

Thanks,

Mohammed Ibrahim

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2018 at 14:36:40 #889276

Hi Ibbi,

Normally it would be quite warm in the villages in July – maybe 25 degrees, maybe warmer. Once you are at the mountain tops though it can be below 10 degrees in July.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/weather

Shrutihegde
    Participant
    13 posts
    28 June 2018 at 18:00:52 #889277

Hello Ibrahim,

Great to meet you here in this forum. Yes, as Lucas said during day time it was not so cold in both Grindelwald & Lauterbrunnen but at the peak of Jungfrau it was cold. Especially while playing snow sports there you need warm clothing but you have option of hiring them there as well. We went in may 2nd week. In July it might be still warmer. Days will be like winter days in Bangalore & nights may be cooler but all indoor places will have options for heating so you may need many warm clothings to be taken. Have a nice trip. Murren looked beautiful from the train though we did not stay there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 3:35:31 #889278

Thanks a lot Lucas and Shruthi!

• The thread ‘Report about our last minute trip to Stanserhorn!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.