Grindelwald best base for hiking in Jungfrau area?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 11:33:36 #814027

I plan to visit the Jungfrau region in mid-June for a week and have a couple of questions:

* Is it true that Grindelwald is the best base for hikes?

* Is it better to do day trips or to do a several-day hike starting in, let’s say, Grindelwald and ending in some other place?

Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 16:26:58 #874224

Hi mihailt and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Grindelwald definitely has earned a reputation for being a hiker’s paradise yes. It isn’t the only option in the Jungfrau region but its a good one.
    2. These are two very different activities so I can’t say which is better than the other. It depends I think on your personal preference, your level of fitness and if you want to see more of the landscape and possibly get away from some crowds (and have the time!).
      Perhaps other members can chime in on their thoughts here.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2018 at 22:31:36 #874225

Thanks. I am interested in easy or moderately difficult walks. Also, I want to see diverse landscapes.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    14 January 2018 at 23:27:21 #874226

Hi Mihailt

Access to moderate day hikes in Jungfrau region is not much different between Grindelwald, Wengen, and Lauterbrunnen. Most prefer Wengen but Grindelwald is good as well Mark

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 January 2018 at 2:53:39 #874227

Hi Mihailt-

Mid-June is a problem.

Higher trails, certainly those above 2000 meters altitude, will still be blocked by snow or unsafe due to possible avalanches.

July is a safer option.

<<“Also, I want to see diverse landscapes.”>

Could you please amplify? In the Jungfrau region, you will see mountains, valleys, and few lakes. What might qualify as “diverse” ?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2018 at 11:22:45 #874228

Thanks, guys.

I will check the hotel prices in Wengen.

Slowpoke, i will consider coming in mid-July. By “diverse” I meant valleys, meadows, peaks, lakes, waterfalls…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2018 at 8:12:31 #874229

Be sure to look through our hiking trails in the Jungfrau region and note the altitude of the trails if you do come in June – keeping in mind closures that are possible (but not certain) when you start getting over 2000m. The later in the summer the better for hiking in this area.

You’ll definitely get that diverse scenery in the Jungfrau region!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 January 2018 at 9:16:51 #874230

Hi mihailt

<<“Slowpoke, i will consider coming in mid-July.”>>

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

If you have complete flexibility, most of us find September to be the best month to visit the region. Crows have diminished after the Summer rush, the eather pattern tends to be – on average- the best for sightseeing, and the hotels and other touirist services are all still open before the late Fall break.

The weather is quite different in the high Alps, compared to the lower areas, such as Luzern or Zürich.

<<“By “diverse” I meant valleys, meadows, peaks, lakes, waterfalls..”>>

It’s all there in the Jungfrau region. 😉

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/truemmelbach-falls-water-in-a-corset-of-stone.html

The Lauterbrunnen Valley is called “The Valley of 72 Waterfalls.”

In the attached picture of the Lauterbrunnen Valley, taken from if you look carefully at the cliff on the right, you will see a very fine (narrow) waterfall. The picture was taken in the Fall, or perhaps late Summer, when the flow is not at its peak. That occurs during the snow melt….May, June, early July. That particular waterfall is nice to look at all year, of course.

A very nice view of the lakes from high above is at Schynige Platte.

http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hynigeplatte

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&E=26 35870.00&N=1168460.00& zoom=5

Also, from the Brienzer Rothorn, close by the Jungfrau region, at the other end of the lake from Interlaken, there is a spectacular view of the lake ( der Brienzersee, Lake Brienz) with Interlaken in the distance.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2018 at 10:52:15 #874231

Thanks for the replies.

Already booked accomodation for mid-July. I have a different trip planned for September.

• The thread ‘Grindelwald best base for hiking in Jungfrau area?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.